No announcement yet.

2012 International scouting and Red Sox signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Sox have now Marrero, Lin, Iglesias, Vinicio and Xander Bogaerts at SS in the minors. Mmmhhhh...
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
      The Red Sox have now Marrero, Lin, Iglesias, Vinicio and Xander Bogaerts at SS in the minors. Mmmhhhh...
      If only they could merge Iglesias's defense and Bogaerts offense into one player!

Anyways, Bogaerts will eventually be moved to 3B. And despite only a one year difference, there is about a 2 year gap in development (or ETA) between Iglesias and Marrero. Lin and Vinicio are both only 18, so the jury on them is still out.

The Sox have been looking for a top notch shortstop since they traded away Nomar for Orlando Cabrera and a World Series Ring. Or maybe Ben (as his predecessors) just have a crush on light-hitting shortstops.

btw: Does anybody have a trustworthy scouting report on Lin (who happend to sign for the exact same bonus that Marrero got)? Because what I find is all over the place (Except everyone says he's a great runner).
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Via Ben Badler:
        The Red Sox have signed Dominican righthander Jose Almonte, the No. 17 international prospect for July 2, for $610,000.

17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic

Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 185. B-T: R-R.

Almonte is a 16-year-old who trains with Felix Liriano and another coach known as "Batata." He pitched at the MLB showcase in February against the team of Venezuelan prospects, though he didn't have a great outing. It has been hard for some scouts to get a look at Almonte recently, but scouts who saw him early in the year liked him because of his projectable, lanky frame, smooth delivery and good arm action. He touched 90-91 mph early in the year, though more recent reports had him topping out at 89. He has some projection and could throw harder down the road. He's flashed ability to throw a solid curveball with downward bite, but it's inconsistent and he's still learning to throw it for strikes. Several sources believe the Red Sox will be the team that ends up signing Almonte.
        http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-jose-almonte/

Meanwhile the Blue Jays reportedly signed Franklin Barreto and Luis Castro (ranked as no. 1 and no. 9 on BA's international prospect list).

btw BA's top 20 list (and where they signed) can be seen here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...pects-tracker/
        No. 3 Jose Mujica is linked to the Red Sox but the Rays are also among the favorites to land him.
        Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
          btw BA's top 20 list (and where they signed) can be seen here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...pects-tracker/
          No. 3 Jose Mujica is linked to the Red Sox but the Rays are also among the favorites to land him.
          And Mujica signs with the Rays for $1m.

Comment

• According to Alex Speier the Red Sox have signed 3 more International FAs:

Javier Guerra, SS, 17 yo, Panama

Gregoi Titts, OF, 17 yo, Panama

Luis Ramos, LHP, 16 yo, Panama

http://fullcount.weei.com...shortstop-javier-guerra/

The child in me had to giggle when I read that they signed a guy named Titts!

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
              If only they could merge Iglesias's defense and Bogaerts offense into one player!

Anyways, Bogaerts will eventually be moved to 3B. And despite only a one year difference, there is about a 2 year gap in development (or ETA) between Iglesias and Marrero. Lin and Vinicio are both only 18, so the jury on them is still out.

The Sox have been looking for a top notch shortstop since they traded away Nomar for Orlando Cabrera and a World Series Ring. Or maybe Ben (as his predecessors) just have a crush on light-hitting shortstops.

btw: Does anybody have a trustworthy scouting report on Lin (who happend to sign for the exact same bonus that Marrero got)? Because what I find is all over the place (Except everyone says he's a great runner).
              I thought I read somewhere (cant for the life of me find the article) that Bogaerts was moving to the OF.

Comment

• FYI, I exchanged e-mails with Scaffolds. He is alive and well and ultra busy with family matters and business. He is not posting anywhere else. I hope to see him back on the board before too long, but I do not know his plans.

Comment

• Per @Enrique_Rojas1, #RedSox sign
                  Dominican SS prospect Wendel Rijo to $625K signing bonus. Has knee injury. Video: bit.ly/Rtuwx8

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                    I thought I read somewhere (cant for the life of me find the article) that Bogaerts was moving to the OF.
                    I read that too, I think. It was something like "Bogaerts who will eventually play 3B or OF...". I always thought he would eventually move to 3B. But I guess he is blocked by WMB at third (and there are a bunch of other 3B prospects in the system), so maybe they think about moving him to the OF because of that?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X