X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    i will try to wait until 1 May before my head explodes...poor start. Pitching aside, what the hell is going on with the bats? I know, only two games and the first against V-Lander...but crap, zero runs against Fister, a no name, and someone else...completely shut down the offense. Mind-blowing to say the least.

like i said, it is still early (ya right)
    seems like the scoring issue was resolved today. I think that you don't need to worry about scoring in the first week anyway. any team has some stretches were they don't score. the pitching is the more worrying part here I think.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
      #firedavedombrowski
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
      we need a $#%* CLOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get Aceves the hell out of there. $#%*
      There's your closer, right there. Franklin Morales. looks fine to me.
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
        #firedavedombrowski
        • Oct 2010

you got to be kidding me!
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• dominik
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
          We prefer the term "recovering Yankees"!
          seems like they haven't fully recovered yet.

so kidding this is not a fun start but at least two of the 3 games have been close against a very good team and the offense finally woke up. so the form of the team doesn't seem to be terrible.

the really concering thing here is the bullpen. losing your two best bullpen guys is not easy to cover.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Blackout
            Circle of Bosses
            • Apr 2005

why can't Bard be the closer?? that would certainly help my fantasy squadron too.

Comment

• dominik
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
              why can't Bard be the closer?? that would certainly help my fantasy squadron too.
              I think that too however they have told him to start so they at least need to give him a couple of chances. mentally this would be tough otherwise for him since he was looking forward to start.

however if this continues the red sox will need to think about something in the bullpen and bard is certainly one of the first options there.

Comment

• Mike D.
                • Feb 2006

I don't think you can think about moving Bard quite yet...in case nobody noticed in the glare of the bullpen imploding, the rotation has put up two stinkers in the first three games...they can't exactly spare anyone at this point!
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Dogdaze
                  2004, 2007 & 2013
                  • Oct 2006

Maybe it’s the emotion of watching the pen blow two games but I’m starting to think Bard would be much more valuable to the Sox as the closer more-so then as a starter.

Now I’m not going to guarantee Bard would have shut down the Tigers offense in games 1 and 3 to save those games but I definitely would have more confidence in him doing so then either Aceves or Melancon based on Bards past history as a reliever.

I never liked the idea of converting Bard to a starter because he wasn’t very good in the minors starting but has been very effective as a reliever. Though I was willing to be patient and see how Bard does as a starter for a month to six weeks my patience is waning due to watching our pen losing games that perhaps Bard might have saved.

We don’t know how Bard will perform as a starter yet, and if he does well then he’ll be valuable, but his past record shows he wasn’t very successful in the minors as a starter, but has always been successful as a reliever. I know it’s still early and things can turn around but maybe with Bailey out and our pen struggling this experiment of making Bard a starter at this time, for this year isn’t our best option if we hope to make the playoffs. Perhaps it would be best to bring Cooke up to be the 5th starter and make Bard the closer.

Comment

• Mathies_dane
                    • Apr 2010

I am still a proponent of waiting till May 1st before i pass judgment on how this team will be but i have serious doubts about the Bullpen and I didn't trust Dubront and Bard as starter in February so trusting them now is even harder but if everything goes well then it might work out for the best.

Comment

• Mike D.
                      • Feb 2006

It's worth noting that when Bard "wasn’t very good in the minors starting" it was his first year in pro ball and he made 22 starts and pitched 75 innings. He did this across two different leagues. This all happened 5 years ago. I'm not sure it holds any predictive value.

Comment

• Mike D.
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mathies_dane View Post
                        I am still a proponent of waiting till May 1st before i pass judgment on how this team will be but i have serious doubts about the Bullpen and I didn't trust Dubront and Bard as starter in February so trusting them now is even harder but if everything goes well then it might work out for the best.
                        I agree the early season bullpen meltdowns are tough to watch...and it's unfortunate they happened now. If the pen blew two of three in June, it'd be a footnote. When it's the first three games, and there are off days involved, you get maxiumum hand-wringing.

I can't feel any different about Bard or Doubront in the rotation than I did in ST because they haven't started yet. I think we need to give them a few turns...but I'd think ONE is a minimum.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                          #firedavedombrowski
                          • Oct 2010

Well on the plus side, all the changes our new saviors Valentine and Bogar made to spring training this year as opposed to the spring trainings the incompetent duo of Francona and Hale ran in past years has payed off and we didn't start the season as badly as the past two years. Oh wait...

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                            • Jan 2006

I trust everybody. Small sample size. Period. Aceves has been good for years, now he blows a save and everybody goes crazy. Typical Boston fans and media hysteria. The Red Sox go to Toronto now and will give Doubront a shot against an also unproven Blue-Jays-SP. Looking forward to seeing it.
                            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                              #firedavedombrowski
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                              I trust everybody. Small sample size. Period. Aceves has been good for years, now he blows a save and everybody goes crazy. Typical Boston fans and media hysteria. The Red Sox go to Toronto now and will give Doubront a shot against an also unproven Blue-Jays-SP. Looking forward to seeing it.
                              Well, you might have to forgive Red Sox fans for being a bit more sensitive than usual after last September and all the offseason drama (real or just made up by the media).

Regarding Aceves: it's not so much that he blew a save but that the current back end of the pen (Melancon and Aceves) has already cost us two games and looked absolutely useless. Aceves shouldn't be the closer and that isn't based on his recent performance but on the fact that he is probably more valuable in the role he was in last year (although you could make the argument that Padilla will be just fine in that role).

As for the Bard to the rescue posts: In the last three games the pen has not been the only part that looked horrible, SP has too. So, right now, while Bard no doubt would help the pen, I don't think the starting rotation can afford to lose Bard.

Still a 159 games left to win. Let's start tonight!

Comment

• dominik
                                • Oct 2008

also don't forget that aceves is not the regular closer. there is also a little bit of ba luck involved with the bailey injury. if bailey was healthy that bullpen would probably look a lot better even if there might be still some question marks in the pen.

the most important thing is that bailey gets healthy soon. when is he expected back?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X