Red Sox Sign Mark Prior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox Sign Mark Prior

BOSTON -- The Red Sox have signed former star pitcher Mark Prior to a minor league deal.

Prior was the second overall pick in the 2001 draft by the Chicago Cubs, for whom he had some shining moments, but arm injuries curtailed his career. He hasn't pitched in the big leagues since 2006, and has thrown only two innings as high as Triple-A since then.

He has tried to come back with the Texas Rangers, San Diego Padres and New York Yankees without success. Prior, 31, will report to the Red Sox's extended spring program.

"He looked good, the velocity's been good," Boston GM Ben Cherington told reporters Wednesday."We're going to leave him down there for a while just to build strength before we send him out to a minor league club. He signed a minor league deal and will keep pitching in extended for a while."
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...or-league-deal
    CenterStageSports.com - Where the Big Boys Play

Maybe the HOF isn't out-of-reach afterall.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
      Maybe the HOF isn't out-of-reach afterall.
      I'm doubting he gets called up.
      CenterStageSports.com - Where the Big Boys Play

Comment

Perfect low-risk, low-cost deal. He costs nothing, and while his health always makes him a longshot, I could see him pitching out of the Sox pen in the second half if everything went well.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

You have to respect Prior for hanging in there but the odds aren't good.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
            You have to respect Prior for hanging in there but the odds aren't good.
            Are you saying he has prior issues and should be a low priority for the Bosox?
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X