No announcement yet.

2012 MLB Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw a replay of the Florida-Kent State game. Sox 3rd rounder Austin Maddox (unsigned as of yet) pitched 1.1 innings. Fastball was consistently at 90mph according to ESPN. Changeup looked nasty at times and he got a couple of swings and misses on it. He didn't allow any hits or walk anybody nor did he strike anybody out.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
      The Red Sox have signed 8 out of 10 guys from their top 10 draft selections. Johnson and Maddox remain unsigned and the Red Sox do not have the money to give them the money they should get according to the new CBA. The Red Sox are over 300K over their bonus pool. They must hope that both guys will sign under slot, if they do not want to get penalized...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft....php?team=1003
      Interesting stuff...
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Zach Eflin, whom I was hoping the Red Sox would pick, signed for $1.2m (under slot). If Brian Johnson gets more than that, I will be very disappointed.

The Padres signed high-school RHP Zach Eflin, the No. 33 overall pick in the 2012 draft, to a contract with a $1.2 million bonus.
        San Diego saved $325,000 under slot with the signing. Acquired with the Padres' compensatory pick for Heath Bell, Eflin is an electrifying high-school arm. He has a ways to go in his development, but boasts a mid-90s fastball to go along with his huge 6-foot-5, 200-pound frame. He likely fell from the first round over signability concerns, which is why it's fairly surprising that he didn't even get slot value from the Padres. Eflin was reportedly a strong commit to the University of Central Florida, but perhaps he was using that rhetoric as leverage. If all goes to plan, Eflin could be a front-line starter sometime in the next 4-5 years. (rotoworld)
        I understand the FO's desire to fill the pitching hole in the minors rather quickly, but the idea that they passed ona guy with a no. 1 or 2 starter ceiling (and significant uncertainty) to sign a guy with no. 3 or 4 ceiling (with somewhat less uncertainty) is mind-boggling. Then again, the Red Sox FO has infinitely more knowledge on these guys than I have, so maybe they know exactly what they are doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
          Zach Eflin, whom I was hoping the Red Sox would pick, signed for $1.2m (under slot). If Brian Johnson gets more than that, I will be very disappointed.

I understand the FO's desire to fill the pitching hole in the minors rather quickly, but the idea that they passed ona guy with a no. 1 or 2 starter ceiling (and significant uncertainty) to sign a guy with no. 3 or 4 ceiling (with somewhat less uncertainty) is mind-boggling. Then again, the Red Sox FO has infinitely more knowledge on these guys than I have, so maybe they know exactly what they are doing...
          Brian Johnson signed for slot: 1'575'000. WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

If I'm correct, the Sox have now signed all of their picks from the first 10 rounds. Plus a couple of picks after the 10th round. The amount they now have left to spend over $100k per pick without losing a pick next year is $187'050.

Among the candidates that would require more than $100k are:
            11th round (361) - Jamal Martin, CF, Dwyer HS (FL)
            15th round (481) - Carson Fulmer, RHP, All Saints Academy (FL)
            33rd round (1021) - Chris Carlson, OF, Soph., Orange Coast CC (CA)
            35th round (1081) - Pat Delano, RHP, Braintree HS (MA)

Not sure, any one of them will sign for $287k.

Comment

If I'm correct, the Sox have now signed all of their picks from the first 10 rounds. Plus a couple of picks after the 10th round. The amount they now have left to spend over $100k per pick without losing a pick next year is $187'050.

the important picks to sign are the first 10 rounds anyway. rarely the guys past 20th round are real prospect although it does happen (piazza).
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                the important picks to sign are the first 10 rounds anyway. rarely the guys past 20th round are real prospect although it does happen (piazza).
                But I think that might have changed a bit with the new draft rules. Obviously the first three or four rounds are still the most important, but after that a lot of teams took cheap college seniors so they can use the "savings" to go above slot with the picks from the first couple rounds or the signability guys after the tenth.

Round 1 to 4: top picks (close to slot or above)
                1st round (24) - Deven Marrero ($2.05m)
                1st round (31) - Brian Johnson ($1,575,000)
                1st supp. (37) - Pat Light, RHP ($1m)
                2nd round (87) - Jamie Callahan ($600K)
                3rd round (118) - Austin Maddox ($350K)
                4th round (151) - Ty Buttrey ($1.3m)

Round 5 to 10: low cost college seniors (way below slot)
                5th round (181) - Mike Augliera ($25K)
                6th round (211) - Justin Haley ($125K)
                7th round (241) - Kyle Kraus ($1K)
                8th round (271) - Nathan Minnich ($10K)
                9th round (301) - Mike Miller ($5K)
                10th round (331) - JT Watkins ($1K)

Round 11 and after: mix of guys they like and can sign to $100k and a couple of high upside guys.

In rounds 1 to 10, when you fail to sign a pick, that pick's slot money is subtracted from your budget. In rounds 11 and after, that is not the case. Any $ above $100k counts against your pool, but you can't diminish your pool if you fail to sign someone. Therefore, there are a lot of high upside guys who have/had signability issues. If some of these players do indeed sign, they are much more likely to succeed than the college seniors from rounds 6 to 10. That's why I don't think rounds 1 to 10 are the most important, but rather rounds 1 to about 5 and then selected picks after round 10...

Comment

Carson Fulmer has reportedly decided to go to Vandy and not sign with the Red Sox.

Comment

Per Jim Callis: Willie Ethington has signed for $200K, that is $100K towards the cap. They have 87'050 left...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X