Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Just four Sox at the funeral

Former Red Sox infielder Alex Cora joined Kirk Minihane and Rob Bradford Thursday to express his surprise that only four Red Sox attended the funeral of Johnny Pesky on Monday.

"I was very surprised," Cora said. "I think what Johnny means and meant to the players and the people in Boston, he was more than just a people person. Just walking into that clubhouse and seeing Johnny smile and greeting you in there and talking about baseball and life in general, he meant a lot, especially to a lot of people in there. I was very surprised to hear that only four players showed up to the funeral."

The Red Sox had rented buses to take players and staff from Fenway to the church in Swampscott on Monday -- an off-day -- but the player turnout was limited to just David Ortiz, Clay Buchholz, Vicente Padilla and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Cora said that if he were on the team, he wouldn't have needed someone to tell him to attend the funeral because it would be obvious that he needed to go.
    This is from the "inside track" of the Herald. Can we just wait to see if there is any truth to this before we storm the gates of Fenway?
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 08-24-2012, 03:00 AM.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
      Hey, I'm a Bosox fan and live close enough to attend games at Fenway, and I would LOVE it if they built a great new park. I love history and tradition, but I also love legroom, good sightlines, my seat pointing towards the diamond, plentiful bathrooms, not having huge crowds of pedestrians blocking my view the entire game, etc etc.
      If the Red Sox build a new ballpark, I will become a Montreal Expos fan.

I took a tour this summer in the USA. Yankee stadium, Mets stadium, Fenway and some minor league ballparks. Fenway was by far the best experience. In NY its just loud music, animations, "please clap your hands", deafening "let's go Yankees" through the stadium microphone etc. I hate that, it should be forbidden. The fans should be in charge of the atmosphere. In Fenway it was old school. Everything was. The music, no animation, the ballpark. Thats what makes it so special. They could do better in terms of food, like every ballpark I visited. The food was terrible, all around.
      Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 08-24-2012, 08:34 AM.
      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
        [INDENT]Wow. I'm shocked too. I couldn't agree with you more!

The whole organization should be ashamed. They should of made attendance mandatory. - :disbelief: - :dismay:

I'm sure the players would have laughed at that and the union would have filed a grievance within ten minutes. Things just don't work that way anymore.

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
        If the Red Sox build a new ballpark, I will become a Montreal Expos fan.

I took a tour this summer in the USA. Yankee stadium, Mets stadium, Fenway and some minor league ballparks. Fenway was by far the best experience. In NY its just loud music, animations, "please clap your hands", deafening "let's go Yankees" through the stadium microphone etc. I hate that, it should be forbidden. The fans should be in charge of the atmosphere. In Fenway it was old school. Everything was. The music, no animation, the ballpark. Thats what makes it so special. They could do better in terms of food, like every ballpark I visited. The food was terrible, all around.
        I respect your opinion, but...I went to the game Wednesday, and, as has been happening for 16 years, my knees ached like crazy when I left. The lady in the seat in front of me kept giving me dirty looks because I was digging in her back all game, but there was really not a damn thing I could do about it. I missed a pretty good chunk of the game because I had to walk 10 miles and change levels to get to a bathroom. I couldn't see CF because of a pole, which was better than my friends not being able to see 2B. There was still plenty of blaring music, BTW. I'm glad that I have had the opportunity to visit the place so much, but I'd honestly cheer a new park.
        BTW, I highly recommend you plan to hit Wrigley on your next trip to the USA. Of the "classic" parks I've visited, counting Yankee, Comiskey, Tiger, and Fenway, Wrigley is my favorite by far.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X