What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

A lot has gone wrong since September a year ago. On a cold October day after the Baltimore Orioles have just lost game 7 of the World Series to the Pittsburgh Pirates, John Henry calls you from his private jet over the Atlantic to inform you that Ben Cherington has been demoted and ownership has decided to bring you in as GM. After politely declining to join him to see LFC take on Leeds in a friendly, you accept the GM position. What would you do?
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

FIRE V WRAP!!!
    (there's something weird with posting in all caps....)
    Last edited by Dude Paskert; 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

right now
      - fire Bobby V

in the off season
      - get rid of Lackey (knowing you wont get much)
      - get rid of Beckett (knowing you wont get much)
      - get rid of Crawford (you might get a little something)
      - offer Papi 2 yrs/$10M (take it or leave it...you have a damaged heel)
      - press Conf announcing the Sox are in a rebuilding mode and it will be a 5 year plan as we recover from the bad contract of the 3 player mentioned above.
      - get rid of Aviles
      - promote Iglesias
      - keep ciriaco as a back up plan to Iglesias until Bogeats is ready
      - Offer Ross 3 yrs/$8M
      - look to fill in the starting pitching

Comment

Here's what I would do:
        1. Have a clause in my contract that essentially guarantees Lucchino will not meddle with basball decisions anymore.
        2. Fire Bobby Valentine. Hire Farrell at all cost.
        3. Retain Tuck and Magadan at all cost. Tell Bogar I'd like for him to stay, but the decision will ultimately be the new manager's.
        4. Fire McClure and Niemann.
        5. Resign Ortiz to a 2 year deal for $9m per.
        6. Try to get a Burnett-like deal for Beckett (Yes, I'd be willing to sell low). If I can't, keep him and hope for an odd year performance.
        7. Trade Saltalamacchia for prospects (low minors 2B with some upside). Promote Lavarnway to starting catcher. Sign Dave Ross as a backup on a one year deal.
        8. Resign Ross to a 2 year deal at $6m per. I don't go 3 and $6m per might actually be a bit high.
        9. See if the 'stros are willing to take Melancon back for Lowrie. Platoon Lowrie and Iglesias. Trade or release Aviles.
        10. Trade Aceves. If I can't, put him back into the bullpen longman role where he belongs.
        11. See what it would take to sign Anibal Sanchez. If reasonable and budget-acceptable, do it.
        12. Find depth for SP RP.
        13. Although, as GM it's not my call, I'd get Bill Belichick as head of media relations.
        Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
          Here's what I would do:
          1. Have a clause in my contract that essentially guarantees Lucchino will not meddle with basball decisions anymore.
          2. Fire Bobby Valentine. Hire Farrell at all cost.
          3. Retain Tuck and Magadan at all cost. Tell Bogar I'd like for him to stay, but the decision will ultimately be the new manager's.
          4. Fire McClure and Niemann.
          5. Resign Ortiz to a 2 year deal for $9m per.
          6. Try to get a Burnett-like deal for Beckett (Yes, I'd be willing to sell low). If I can't, keep him and hope for an odd year performance.
          7. Trade Saltalamacchia for prospects (low minors 2B with some upside). Promote Lavarnway to starting catcher. Sign Dave Ross as a backup on a one year deal.
          8. Resign Ross to a 2 year deal at $6m per. I don't go 3 and $6m per might actually be a bit high.
          9. See if the 'stros are willing to take Melancon back for Lowrie. Platoon Lowrie and Iglesias. Trade or release Aviles.
          10. Trade Aceves. If I can't, put him back into the bullpen longman role where he belongs.
          11. See what it would take to sign Anibal Sanchez. If reasonable and budget-acceptable, do it.
          12. Find depth for SP RP.
          13. Although, as GM it's not my call, I'd get Bill Belichick as head of media relations.
          love #13...all the B.S. would stop

Comment

I actually applied for the job when Theo did his "monkey suit" escape...glad they really did keep my "resume" on file.

A few thoughts:

- Fire Bobby V. Was a bad hire from day 1 and everyone but ownership knew it. Even Cherrington didn't want him.

- Play Inglesis at SS the rest of the year (Aviles moves to 3B) and Lavarnway catches at least 50% of the time. Gotta see what you have there.

- Shut Crawford down yesterday. If he needs surgery, it's downright criminal to have him playing now and missing games next year due to recovery.

- Come to terms with the fact that you're stuck with Crawford and Lackey. Nobody is going to take them.

- Hire a hard-nosed disciplinarian as manager. Someone who will keep the players in line, but who they'll respect because he is up front and honest with them. If this guy doesn't like talking to the media, all the better. I have no idea who that guy is, but they need to find him.

- Shop Ellsbury around for either some real top prospects or a cost-controlled starter who's at least a #2 or #3. If someone won't pay your price, hold onto him...you can always move him during the season next year.

- I don't trade low on Beckett...if someone comes with a solid offer, consider it. If you'd have to pay his salary anyway and get nothing of value in return, you might as well hang onto him. If he's terrible and his attitude doesn't improve, you can release him in the spring or during the season.

- Adding top talent will be tough with the payroll constraints, but all budget/prospects expended to improve should be spent on starting pitching. This team with one more reliable starting pitcher looks pretty good.

- Adding a starter means you head into ST with 6 starting pitchers...Beckett, Lackey, Lester, Buchholz, Dubront, and the new guy. I make it clear that all five spots are up for grabs.

- Offer Ortiz the incentive-laden/solid-base deal I've mentioned on here a half dozen times. If he doesn't want him, I offer him a 1-year deal at what he's making more...but tell him the first time he bitches to the media about his contract, he's getting fined.

- If Ross wants to come back for a 1-2 deal for reasonable money, I bring him back. I've come around to trading Salty for prospects or pitching and going with Lavarnway and a defense-first backup catcher. I'd even bring back Shoppach on a one-year deal if he was interested.

- The lineup is set at 1B, 2B, 3B, DH, LF, C, and CF (if Ells isn't traded). The big question marks are RF and SS, just like last season. If Inglesis isn't the answer at SS, you need to explore the trade market for a solid 1-2 year stopgap. I'm OK with a Crawford/Ellsbury/Kalish/Ross OF. If Ellsbury is traded, though, you'll need to add someone. If Crawford won't be ready to start the season, I bring a few guys into ST and see who sticks short term.

That's my 2 cents worth. The whole "blow it up" thing sounds satisfying to an upset fan, but with the contracts the team has in place, it's just not practical. This is a very talented team that despite the crazy injuries, media-whore manager, disgruntled players, inept Front Office, and meddling owners is still just a mediocre (instead of terrible) Beckett and Lester away from being in the playoffs.

Now, if with a good manager, solid health, and a few key additions this team can't pull together next season, THEN you blow things up...you'll be one year further into long-term deals, which will make it more palatable to make ugly moves if they're needed.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
              I actually applied for the job when Theo did his "monkey suit" escape...glad they really did keep my "resume" on file.

A few thoughts:

- Fire Bobby V. Was a bad hire from day 1 and everyone but ownership knew it. Even Cherrington didn't want him.
              Absolutely.

- Play Inglesis at SS the rest of the year (Aviles moves to 3B) and Lavarnway catches at least 50% of the time. Gotta see what you have there.
              I dont think Iglesias has deserved any of this. Until he shows it in AAA, leave him where he is. I would rather go Ciriaco at SS for the rest of the year.

- Shut Crawford down yesterday. If he needs surgery, it's downright criminal to have him playing now and missing games next year due to recovery.
              If they know for sure that he would miss games next year, it would be. I still have hopes for Crawford for next year, performance-wise.

- Come to terms with the fact that you're stuck with Crawford and Lackey. Nobody is going to take them.
              Yeah. They wont leave us in the near future. Lackey had essentially one year with the Red Sox. And he was hurt too. I know it is difficult, but I think we haven't seen the best of him in a Red Sox uniform. He could be a solid no.3.

- Hire a hard-nosed disciplinarian as manager. Someone who will keep the players in line, but who they'll respect because he is up front and honest with them. If this guy doesn't like talking to the media, all the better. I have no idea who that guy is, but they need to find him.
              I have no idea what kind of manager is going to work for this group of players. Maybe a football coach that is surrounded by Magadan etc. I would go with someone young and without any history in the MLB.

- Shop Ellsbury around for either some real top prospects or a cost-controlled starter who's at least a #2 or #3. If someone won't pay your price, hold onto him...you can always move him during the season next year.
              I'm pretty sure Ellsbury will test the market, since he is advised by Boras. For me it is difficult to know if he is a slapping leadoff guy or the 2011-version. I would try to trade him, like you, for something real, with Jackie Bradley jr. waiting in the minors.

- I don't trade low on Beckett...if someone comes with a solid offer, consider it. If you'd have to pay his salary anyway and get nothing of value in return, you might as well hang onto him. If he's terrible and his attitude doesn't improve, you can release him in the spring or during the season.
              I would do the same. For me it's not only a question about him, but also about his replacements. Haas anyone seen the SP free agent market of 2012-13? It's pretty much empty, except for some Anibal-Sanchez-guys...

- Adding top talent will be tough with the payroll constraints, but all budget/prospects expended to improve should be spent on starting pitching. This team with one more reliable starting pitcher looks pretty good.
              IMO there is none. At least on the FA market. The rotation projects as: Lester, Beckett, Doubront, Lackey, Morales, Buchholz. That should be good enough to compete on most seasons.

- Offer Ortiz the incentive-laden/solid-base deal I've mentioned on here a half dozen times. If he doesn't want him, I offer him a 1-year deal at what he's making more...but tell him the first time he bitches to the media about his contract, he's getting fined.
              He will want two years. But I would go year to year. With the arbitration thing, he is going nowhere anyway.

- If Ross wants to come back for a 1-2 deal for reasonable money, I bring him back. I've come around to trading Salty for prospects or pitching and going with Lavarnway and a defense-first backup catcher. I'd even bring back Shoppach on a one-year deal if he was interested.
              Ross will be way too pricey probably. He will nearly get Willingham or Cuddyer money imo. Trading Salty could be a good thing.

- The lineup is set at 1B, 2B, 3B, DH, LF, C, and CF (if Ells isn't traded). The big question marks are RF and SS, just like last season. If Inglesis isn't the answer at SS, you need to explore the trade market for a solid 1-2 year stopgap. I'm OK with a Crawford/Ellsbury/Kalish/Ross OF. If Ellsbury is traded, though, you'll need to add someone. If Crawford won't be ready to start the season, I bring a few guys into ST and see who sticks short term.
              The Red Sox have a lot of OF-prospects. I expect a Kalish-Brentz-battle in the future. The Red Sox have a lot of SS prospects too. But only in the low minors. Iglesias was rushed, I think. He should have never been promoted to AAA in the first place.
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

play the young guys like lavarnway, anderson, maybe even iglesias so that they get ready to hit MLB pitching next year.elp

and also make all the surgeries now so that they are ready next season even if this means losing 2012. losing 2012 is bad but having a ton of injured players again next year will not help either. no more conservative therapies for things that require surgery like an UCL rupture
                Last edited by dominik; 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                  Absolutely.
                  I dont think Iglesias has deserved any of this. Until he shows it in AAA, leave him where he is. I would rather go Ciriaco at SS for the rest of the year.
                  His hitting hasn't been good, but his defense remains elite...and after a couple years as "the shortstop of the future" they need to see if he is indeed someone who can help them or if they need another plan. That's why I'd play him now. It certainly makes more sense then giving at bats to Valencia!

Comment

FWIW, the Astros just fired Brad Mills. I don't think he's the solution (he's more of a player-friendly guy like Francona) but I'd bring him back as a bench coach in a second - assuming the new manager wants him...no more of this "you get your guys and our spies on your staff" stuff.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X