Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
    Looks like the Angels are interesting in moving a couple of pitchers this off-season.

Either could be an option for the Sox, depending on the cost in prospects.
    one of them, Santana, was just traded to KC for a 27 yo RP who posted a 1.35 whip at AAA. If that is the going rate, Ben should get Haren asap! It's unlikely the Sox can sign him to a 1 year deal in free agency.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• lots of talk (media) about bring Youk back. I say hell no! he was declining while he was here and didn't do squat in Chicago. We are trying to make a change in atmosphere and bringing back Youk would be counter productive.

Also, so have been going back and forth on Webster...say today he is ranked as our 4th best prospect, so more than a few people see something in this guy, so we will see

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
        lots of talk (media) about bring Youk back. I say hell no! he was declining while he was here and didn't do squat in Chicago. We are trying to make a change in atmosphere and bringing back Youk would be counter productive.
        There is no doubt he has shown signs of a decline, but I don't think it's fair to say he didn't do squat in Chicago. He did put up a .346 OBP while slugging .425. Not great, and not necessarily what you'd hope for from a 1B, but not squat either. It seems he just can't catch up to the good fastballs anymore and that affects his avg and slg, but the man can still foul off pitches and take a walk. There are, at this point, probably better options for the Red Sox to fill 1B. But in anyway I don't see Youk returning, not even with BV gone.

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
        Also, so have been going back and forth on Webster...say today he is ranked as our 4th best prospect, so more than a few people see something in this guy, so we will see
        There is a lot to see in Webster: See here for a report of one of his outings with the Seadogs.But, despite the fact that he is a pitcher and the Sox system is still very thin at this position, I'd be willing to trade him if the right opportunity came along.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Sox apparently talking to Rick Peterson, Juan Nieves, Randy St. Claire and Steve Foster about their pitching coach position. Don't know much about any of them. Peterson is the big name here but he's also somewhat controversial. I still think that the most important thing is to get someone who shares Farrell and the organization's philisophy and is here for more than one year (so to get some consistency).

According to major league sources, the Red Sox will interview Marlins pitching coach Randy St. Claire about their vacant pitching coach position on Thursday, and the team also has received permission to interview Royals bullpen coach Steve Foster for the position. Those two will join Orioles minor league pitching coordinator Rick Peterson and White Sox bullpen coach Juan Nieves as candidates for the position.
          source

Comment

• Ortiz and Sox not close to a contract after all. Cue Big Papi negotiating via the media and playing the lack of respect card in 3...2...1...

Comment

• Am I the only one who thinks Anibal Sanchez will be wearing a Red Sox uniform for the next years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                Am I the only one who thinks Anibal Sanchez will be wearing a Red Sox uniform for the next years?
                I'd love to see it Call it reclaiming our property...
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• I have suggested Kuroda as a possibility for a FA SP on a short deal. And while he reportedly is willing to accept a one year deal the Yankees will make him a qualifying offer (and he will prob accept it). If that's the case, I do not want the Sox to sign him (or any other player they forfeit their 2nd round pick for). So how about Scott Baker? Baker is 31, and posted a 3.44 SIERA last year and .3.74 the year before. Decent K-rates and very low BB-rates (7.23 vs. 2.10 careerwise). His 34-ish GB-rate isn't exactly great though.

Comment

Now that the offseason officially began, a lot of names are thrown around. One of those names is Andre Ethier's. The Dodgers are reportedly looking to trade him. Ethier signed an extension that overpays him quite handsomely (5/85: 13:$13.5M, 14:$15.5M, 15:$18M, 16:$16M, 17:$18M, 18:$17.5M club option ($2.5M buyout)). Last season he hit .284 .351 .460 with a 124 wRC+ (somewhat below his career averages). He is an average-ish RFer and struggles against lefties offensively.

Doesn't sound like a player you'd really want. But if the Dodgers kicked in say $10m to $15m (bringing down his AAV to $14m to 15m a year) and wouldn't require a ton in return, is this something we think about? Obviously it's too much to pay for a platoon player (He would be the perfect platoon partner for Cody Ross) but even with his numbers against lefties he still gives you a .350 to .360 OBP along with 25-ish HRs.

The starting OF at the beginning of 2013 would look something like Ellsbury/Ethier/Ross/Kalish/Nava. After the trade deadline Ethier and Ross would go back to being a full time players for the rest of the season. 2014-ish the OF would be Ethier/Ross/Bradley/Brentz/Kalish with Ross gone after 2014 wich would leave them with Ethier/Bradley/Brentz/Kalish from 2015 on. That would be a killer OF.You probably don't want to take on a 5 year deal* at that money for Ethier and have to trade players to get it. But I like Ethier and you'd have to at least think about it (assuming they wouldn't have to give up much to acquire him. A sort of buy low type move because another team wants to dump him). He's 30 and the deal is for 5 years.

*The last thing you want to do is immediately go back to hand out expensive (semi-)long term deals.
                    Isn't that a bit optimistic? they might be solid prospects but kalish, brentz and bradley are totally unproven. they could become good but they could also become average players. compared to some other teams those names don't exactly look scary. Some prospects do become superstars but a lot of them don't.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• I say call Ortiz and the Rangers bluff. Come in with a fair number and stand by it. I will go on record as saying i am against signing Ortiz for more than one year. Love what he has done for us, but he is old and has a heal injury. I am saying he wont last.

Comment

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
                        Isn't that a bit optimistic? they might be solid prospects but kalish, brentz and bradley are totally unproven. they could become good but they could also become average players. compared to some other teams those names don't exactly look scary. Some prospects do become superstars but a lot of them don't.
                        Bradley has ways to go and there is no guarantee he will become a a great or even just regular mlb player, but he is a very exciting prospects with a pretty high ceiling. Same goes for Brentz (somewhat lower ceiling). I'm not saying they are sure things, but the Sox need to build from within again and in signing any free agents (or trading for players), they have to keep in mind that they have to potentially great OFs (who should be ready for the bigs over the next two years) in their own system. Maybe I'm too high on these guys (and Kalish for that matter). Only time will tell...

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                          I say call Ortiz and the Rangers bluff. Come in with a fair number and stand by it. I will go on record as saying i am against signing Ortiz for more than one year. Love what he has done for us, but he is old and has a heal injury. I am saying he wont last.
                          The Rangers are not going to sacrifice their first round pick to sign a 37 year old DH only to a contract that's longer or at a higher AAV than the Red Sox are prepared to pay. The Red Sox know it, Ortiz knows it, his agent knows it. Ortiz will be signed for 2 years around $22m. It will get done sonner than later.

Comment

The Rangers are not going to sacrifice their first round pick to sign a 37 year old DH only to a contract that's longer or at a higher AAV than the Red Sox are prepared to pay. The Red Sox know it, Ortiz knows it, his agent knows it. Ortiz will be signed for 2 years around $22m. It will get done sonner than later.
                            2 years/$22M...that is more reasonable and a lot less than he wants

Comment

Bradley has ways to go and there is no guarantee he will become a a great or even just regular mlb player, but he is a very exciting prospects with a pretty high ceiling. Same goes for Brentz (somewhat lower ceiling). I'm not saying they are sure things, but the Sox need to build from within again and in signing any free agents (or trading for players), they have to keep in mind that they have to potentially great OFs (who should be ready for the bigs over the next two years) in their own system. Maybe I'm too high on these guys (and Kalish for that matter). Only time will tell...
                              I agree with that and I'm a big fan of building from within too. teams like TB, washington or recently baltimore had great success with this approach which is the way to go I think.

however I think people are making a mistake if the predict a 2014 team that consists half from players that play in AA-AAA. It is really not realistic that 4-5 minor league players get big league ready at the same time (when you say that kalish, lavarnway, iglesias and bogartz will all play in the majors in 2 years). building from within is more of a slow process and you should consider a big variety of prospects in and out of the organisation for this.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
                                I agree with that and I'm a big fan of building from within too. teams like TB, washington or recently baltimore had great success with this approach which is the way to go I think.

however I think people are making a mistake if the predict a 2014 team that consists half from players that play in AA-AAA. It is really not realistic that 4-5 minor league players get big league ready at the same time (when you say that kalish, lavarnway, iglesias and bogartz will all play in the majors in 2 years). building from within is more of a slow process and you should consider a big variety of prospects in and out of the organisation for this.
                                I am not saying they will peak in two years, I say they will get some playing time in 2014, potentially taking over in 2015. Lavarnway is with the major league team already (and will have to prove himself first). Kalish has run into some injuries and will have to prove he can stay healthy (reminds me a bit of Lowrie, in more than one way). I wouldn't bank on him this year, but if he can stay healthy and prove himself, he could be a starting OFer before too long. Brentz and Bradley could get a call up when rosters expand in September. Bogaerts probably is about a year behind.

Will they all turn into superstars? Probably not. But it's not inconceivable that all 3 turn into valuable major leaguers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X