No announcement yet.

Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Haren, is it just me, or is it CRAZY that the Angels didn't trade him? I mean, they could have taken any minor league scrub and saved $3.5 million. If they'd gotten ANYTHING good, they'd have gotten something good AND saved the money.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
      On Haren, is it just me, or is it CRAZY that the Angels didn't trade him? I mean, they could have taken any minor league scrub and saved $3.5 million. If they'd gotten ANYTHING good, they'd have gotten something good AND saved the money.

dand..last week we coulld've given then Che-Hsuan Lin
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

On Haren, is it just me, or is it CRAZY that the Angels didn't trade him? I mean, they could have taken any minor league scrub and saved $3.5 million. If they'd gotten ANYTHING good, they'd have gotten something good AND saved the money.
        What does that say about Haren though? They were reportedly close to a deal with the Cubs for Carlos Marmol. An average-ish owed nearly $10m next year! And it was the Cubs who allegedly shut the deal down. I can only infer from this that nobody wanted to trade for Haren. And the sole reason I can think of is that they either think that they can sign him to a better deal in FA or that he is damaged goods. If I had to guess, I'd say the latter.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Cody Ross apparently is looking for 3/25 while the Red Sox weren't willing to commit beyond 2 years (which is a good thing). Ross has had a good year for the Sox, more so among a lot of regulars having down years. But in judging Ross, I think Keith Law has a good assessment as to what player we really are looking at:
          Cody Ross, OF: He is not a center fielder, he has a .324 career OBP -- in fact, his .326 figure in 2012 was his career best in a full season -- and his power spike this year was largely a function of playing his home games in Fenway Park, a great place for right-handed hitters. He hit 74 percent of his doubles at home and 59 percent of his homers, posting a .232/.294/.390 line away from Fenway. On a one-year deal to serve as part of a platoon, yes, he has value. Anything more than that for a 32-year-old corner outfielder who doesn't get on base or make much contact is foolhardy.
          For whatever it's worth, Jim Bowden predicts 2/14. I think the Red Sox shouldn't be willing to go much higher than that. There are other options out there.
          Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
            dand..last week we coulld've given then Che-Hsuan Lin
            That's the thing...would something like that have gotten it done? Did no team offer ANYTHING? Or were the Angels more willing to eat the money and have Haren become a FA (maybe because they don't want him in Boston, or they're just nice guys and wanted to let him hit FA)? It just seems ODD to me.

Comment

• According to Jon Heyman, the Red Sox have named Juan Nieves as their pitching coach. Nieves has been the bullpen coach for the White Sox since 2008 and before that has been a pitching coach in the White Sox system.

#redsox expected to name Juan Nieves their new pitching coach. story up soon on http://cbssports.com
              From his White Sox profile:
              Is in his fifth season as the White Sox bullpen coach ... spent the previous nine seasons as a pitching coach in the Sox Minor League system, most recently at Class AAA Charlotte (2005-07) ... was the World Team Pitching coach in the 2006 All-Star Future's Game ... spent the 2002-04 seasons as pitching coach at Class AA Birmingham ... was the pitching coach for the Southern League West Division All-Star team in 2002 ... served as the general manager/manager for Caguas in Puerto Rican Winter League in 1998-99 ... began his coaching career by working four seasons in the Yankees organization (1992-95).
              Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                Cody Ross apparently is looking for 3/25 while the Red Sox weren't willing to commit beyond 2 years (which is a good thing). Ross has had a good year for the Sox, more so among a lot of regulars having down years. But in judging Ross, I think Keith Law has a good assessment as to what player we really are looking at:

For whatever it's worth, Jim Bowden predicts 2/14. I think the Red Sox shouldn't be willing to go much higher than that. There are other options out there.
                Like Jason Bay. He could have been had for two years at the league minimum from the Mets. Now it's going to cost a little bit more than that I asume. And yes I think it could have been worth trying. I think Bay is a bigger talent than Ross and with the monster in his sight, he could have been a surprise player for 2013 and replacement of Cody Ross.
                I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Via rotoworld:
                  ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Diamonbacks will listen to offers on pitching prospect Trevor Bauer.
                  Bauer sort of marches to the beat of his own drum, which has rubbed some in the Arizona front office the wrong way. But he's only 21 years old and was dominant in the Snakes' minor league system this summer. The D'Backs need to get something good in return if they trade him.
                  Yes, I'm listening! What would the Dbacks possibly be interested in? Should we be scared that they are willing to trade him and thus stay away?

Comment

• Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                    Like Jason Bay. He could have been had for two years at the league minimum from the Mets. Now it's going to cost a little bit more than that I asume. And yes I think it could have been worth trying. I think Bay is a bigger talent than Ross and with the monster in his sight, he could have been a surprise player for 2013 and replacement of Cody Ross.
                    Mets cut Bay loose today....
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                      Mets cut Bay loose today....
                      I'd take a low-cost, incentive-laden flyer on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                        Via rotoworld:
                        Yes, I'm listening! What would the Dbacks possibly be interested in? Should we be scared that they are willing to trade him and thus stay away?
                        The kid is one of the more fascinating, and highly regarded, pitching prospects in the game. Why the heck they'd trade him and what they'd demand in return are mind boggling.

Comment

The kid is one of the more fascinating, and highly regarded, pitching prospects in the game. Why the heck they'd trade him and what they'd demand in return are mind boggling.
                          Reportedly because of his attitude. But I don't buy it. You don't trade one of the best pitching prospects in baseball because of his attitude. Probably just smoke.

Torii Hunter is apparently in high demand and looks for a Ortiz-like 2/26. At the price you say thanks, but no thanks. 2/26, yeah right?!

Justin Upton is on the block again. The D'backs reportedly looking for a young SS/3B. Boagerts isn't going anywhere! An I'd loathe to trade Cecchini. Think he will end up in Texas?

Comment

• The Red Sox just let this guy away to the Brewers...ouch...

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXminorsXXpla...mste001mic&t=1
                            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

The Red Sox just let this guy away to the Brewers...ouch...

Not great, but they needed the 40-man roster spot...and the kid is 25 and never pitched above AA.

Comment

The Red Sox just let this guy away to the Brewers...ouch...

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                                Not great, but they needed the 40-man roster spot...and the kid is 25 and never pitched above AA.
                                I read that a couple of days ago. I really don't get that. I understand that he is 25 and all, but with those K-rates (and the velo he shows) you have to believe that he can turn into a useful bullpen piece. Then again, the Sox are not the first to let him go, so who knows.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X