Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It also doesn't have anything to do with the stats simply put BJ has made a much bigger impact on us fans then crawford did sure we miss crawford but BJ has honestly grown on us all.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

    A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

    Comment


    • #17
      http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...#disqus_thread
      All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

      A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

      Comment


      • #18
        here is who should get a look for the manager spot:

        1. John Farrell - going to cost a player in return. who would they want? Iglesias, um, ok. bring back Aviles and Ciriaco until Xander Bogaerts is ready in 2014
        2. Dave Martinez - been groomed by Maddon down in Tampa and is respected by players.
        3. Mike Maddux - great pitching coach and could turn around the staff instantly.

        on the outside and worth at least a look

        4. Joey Cora - a baseball guy from a baseball family. Worth at least an interview to see what his plans are.
        5. Arnie Beyeler- did an outstanding job at Pawtucket and deserves an interview.

        for now, that would be my list subject to change
        Last edited by Boston Boxer; 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Do you think Youk would come back and play 1b? I still would like to give Mauro Gomez and honest shot at starting because i think he is a very good player. Do we want Youk back or is he done?

          very interesting off season

          Comment


          • #20
            I don't get the infatuation with Farrell. I have no interest in ANY manager who we need to deal with compensation for. If the word "compensation" is anywhere near the headline fodder it was last off-season, the team has failed miserably.

            I'm sure there a bunch of perfectly good to excellent managers who won't cost players or prospects to bring in. It's not as if Farrell has done anything in his two years in Toronto to distinguish himself. Maddux turned down the opportunity to interview last year, so he may be out. No excuse not to bring in Dave Martinez to talk to them...which I don't believe they did last year.

            Other than that, I like Beyeler, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other good candidates...Sandberg, Bogar, heck, old Brad Mills is available.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
              Do you think Youk would come back and play 1b? I still would like to give Mauro Gomez and honest shot at starting because i think he is a very good player. Do we want Youk back or is he done?

              very interesting off season
              They may look to bring in someone on a short-money deal to fill the spot, or at least compete with Gomez. I could see them having Lavarnway play some 1B somewhere this winter, too...if he can play 1B and catch, that gives you a way to give him a lot of at bats, keep him fresh, and creates some interesting roster flexibility.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                Red Sox 2013:

                1. Lester
                2. Buchholz
                3. Dubrount
                4. Lackey
                5. De La Rosa
                I think De La Rosa in the rotation to start the season isn't going to happen. By the end of the year? Maybe. One of the key ways to judge the off-season is this...if going into April Doubront is the #3 starter, the Sox have failed the 2012/2013 off-season. I think there is little chance they don't sign or trade for some kind of veteran arm to supplement the rotation. It probably isn't a huge deal for an ace, but a 1-2 season flyer on a solid mid-rotation vet is a move this team really needs to make.


                C Salty/Lavarnway
                1B Youuuuuk (2/16) and yes he would come back under new management.
                2B Perdoia
                3B Middlebrooks
                SS Aviles/Ciriaco (Iglesias isnt ready until he can hit at least .230 in the MLB. He can't right now).
                RF Ross (2/18)
                CF Ellsbury (Bradley jr.)
                LF Brentz/Kalish
                DH Ortiz (1/10 or arb)
                I think Youk and Francona coming back are about as likely as Babe Ruth coming back. Add Aviles to that list, as well...I get the impression he's PISSED that they basically benched him for Sept. Can't say I blame him.

                If Brentz or Bradley Jr play in the bigs next year, that'll mean their development went super fast. I'd love to see it, but doubt it.

                Ciriaco/Iglesias sounds like a combo dying for some veteran competition. A solid vet to push Ciriaco to the utility role and Iglesias to AAA would probably be a high-priority pickup.

                I think Ross comes back, although it may take 3 years. I don't love his offense, but he's solid enough. I bet they explore another OF bat (although Kalish will be in the mix).

                I have a feeling Ortiz finally gets his 2-year extension and decides he'll retire a Red Sox after 2014. I think that the team could use the good press, and honestly, replacing him wouldn't be easy or cheap anyway.

                Bullpen needs no upgrade!
                The "key" guys have been awful...but the supposedly "fringe" guys have been amazing. Lots of depth there. I think Tazawa could be key to the 2013 pen. I agree no major additions needed, although a few guys to stash in AAA is always a good idea.

                Manager: Anyone but Valentine. Farrell, Magadan, Maddux etc.
                Here! Here!
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
                  I guess the Red Sox had to get rid of Valentine, but I think the press was rougher on him than was necessary. As an example, a major writer in the Boston Globe admitted today that Valentine's assessment of Youkilis was correct. The behavior of a good deal of the team reminded me of the "Crybaby" Indians of 1940.

                  The writers' attitude toward a Boston manager echoed the 1942 suggestion by one of them that the MVP award for the Braves be given to the cabbie who ran over Casey Stengel in Kenmore Square, breaking his leg severely.

                  I think the players lacked in attitude as they did in September, 2011, when someone else managed them. It turns out that those who were sent to the Dodgers didn't exactly distinguish themselves, by the way.

                  I also feel that ownership and the front office are more responsible than Valentine for the Red Sox disastrous seasons of late, and I am not even a Red Sox fan!
                  I don't think anyone thinks the season is all Valentine's fault...the front office sat on their hands this past off-season, the injuries came at a historic pace, and the starting pitching was terrible.

                  That being said, he was a terrible hire from the get-go. Nobody but Lucchino and one infatuated Globe writer thought he was the guy for the job. That includes the GM of the team.

                  The team said they needed a strict disciplinarian and fundamentals guy to replace player-friendly Francona...and they did. But instead they hired a media clown who hasn't managed in the big leagues in a decade. He was a bad match for the team, the local media, and the fan base. Plus, he's kind of a jerk.

                  I'm old enough that I can remember a time when the Red Sox weren't good every year, and that being in the running for a playoff spot was exciting. I can handle if the team isn't good every year. What I can't handle is if the team is embarrassing. And this year, the team was embarrassing...and Bobby V led the way.

                  You can't fire the players (although the Sox came about as close as a team realistically can), so you fire the manager. After the Nick Punto Trade, it's the 2nd step on the path to restoring the team to something we're not ashamed of. Hopefully they continue down that path.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Nice thought, but he can't hit major league pitching. I'm referring to Lavarnway.
                    Last edited by Joe Barrie; 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: omission

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                      here is who should get a look for the manager spot:

                      1. John Farrell - going to cost a player in return. who would they want? Iglesias, um, ok. bring back Aviles and Ciriaco until Xander Bogaerts is ready in 2014
                      2. Dave Martinez - been groomed by Maddon down in Tampa and is respected by players.
                      3. Mike Maddux - great pitching coach and could turn around the staff instantly.

                      on the outside and worth at least a look

                      4. Joey Cora - a baseball guy from a baseball family. Worth at least an interview to see what his plans are.
                      5. Arnie Beyeler- did an outstanding job at Pawtucket and deserves an interview.

                      for now, that would be my list subject to change
                      What is there about John Farrell that makes him a candidate, other than that he hasn't done well with the Blue Jays?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
                        Nice thought, but he can't hit major league pitching. I'm referring to Lavarnway.
                        He hasn't yet this year, but I think he will. Giving him a chance isn't going to block anyone with higher upside, so I think he's gotta play.
                        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
                          What is there about John Farrell that makes him a candidate, other than that he hasn't done well with the Blue Jays?
                          "He's a crazy smart guy" and "He knows the Red Sox players/management/system" are the two big arguments for him. Personally, I don't think he's worth giving up compensation for...but if he were free to sign with the Sox, I think he'd be a candidate.
                          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'd like to recommend Chip Hale, a former coach for the Mets and currently the bench coach of the Oakland Athletics. He was a runner up in 2010 when the Mets hired their current manager, Terry Collins. Hale was a former minor league player with some limited major league time. He also managed three years in AAA and was named PCL manager of the year. I liked Hale as he had the potential to be a solid, respectable manager and was sad to see him leave the organization.

                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I think De La Rosa in the rotation to start the season isn't going to happen. By the end of the year? Maybe. One of the key ways to judge the off-season is this...if going into April Doubront is the #3 starter, the Sox have failed the 2012/2013 off-season. I think there is little chance they don't sign or trade for some kind of veteran arm to supplement the rotation. It probably isn't a huge deal for an ace, but a 1-2 season flyer on a solid mid-rotation vet is a move this team really needs to make.
                              True. You especially cant count De La Rosa to the rotation for sure just yet. I think the Red Sox will sign a guy like Santana/Haren/Peavy for three to four years. That is what the owe us and they need after Beckett is gone.

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I think Youk and Francona coming back are about as likely as Babe Ruth coming back. Add Aviles to that list, as well...I get the impression he's PISSED that they basically benched him for Sept. Can't say I blame him.
                              Francona wont come back again. But Youk under a new coach that he knows well? Could very well be.

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              If Brentz or Bradley Jr play in the bigs next year, that'll mean their development went super fast. I'd love to see it, but doubt it.
                              Bradley wont, but Brentz was in AAA at the end of the year. I also think they first will get a veteran like Johnny Gomes to platoon with Kalish until Brentz is ready.

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              Ciriaco/Iglesias sounds like a combo dying for some veteran competition. A solid vet to push Ciriaco to the utility role and Iglesias to AAA would probably be a high-priority pickup.
                              Trade Ellsbury for Elvis Andrus?

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I think Ross comes back, although it may take 3 years. I don't love his offense, but he's solid enough. I bet they explore another OF bat (although Kalish will be in the mix).
                              Yeah, after his season he could be overpriced. He could get 3/27. I wouldnt pay that to him.

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I have a feeling Ortiz finally gets his 2-year extension and decides he'll retire a Red Sox after 2014. I think that the team could use the good press, and honestly, replacing him wouldn't be easy or cheap anyway.
                              Ortiz is 37 in November. If they offe arb, nobody will want to sign him.

                              Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              The "key" guys have been awful...but the supposedly "fringe" guys have been amazing. Lots of depth there. I think Tazawa could be key to the 2013 pen. I agree no major additions needed, although a few guys to stash in AAA is always a good idea.
                              Bullpen should be fine. Alex Wilson and Carpenter are waiting for their chance too. And Okajima is destroying japanese hitters :-)
                              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Sorry, but I see the Red Sox roster as basically a triple A club which wll be nuts to offer Ortiz more than one year if he can walk. The other guys mentioned above have largely no distinguishing characteristics.

                                And then there's the problem of the manager. The jackals and hyenas are now feasting on Valentine's figurative corpse, but now someone else needs to be found. Seeing a replay of Dustin Pedroia's "we don't do that around here", as mutinous a crack as has been heard in a long time, I got to thinking-why not make Pedroia the manager? He is evidently well-respected by the press, the fans and the ownership.

                                Sound far-fetched? Consider the careers of Bucky Harris, Lou Boudreau, Frankie Frisch and Leo Durocher.
                                Last edited by Joe Barrie; 10-05-2012, 05:04 AM.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X