Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Napoli:
    Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert
    Hearing that the Napoli deal back in negotiations, with team asking Napoli to take less years but same AAV. Swisher Plan B.

Carroll is SI writer and the injury expert there, so there may be something to this. One way or another this is very concerning as Napoli is a major piece to the Red Sox's offseason!
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
      On Napoli:
      Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert
      Hearing that the Napoli deal back in negotiations, with team asking Napoli to take less years but same AAV. Swisher Plan B.

Carroll is SI writer and the injury expert there, so there may be something to this. One way or another this is very concerning as Napoli is a major piece to the Red Sox's offseason!
      2/$26M is ok for Napoli I guess, as long as we can get similar production out of him as he's demonstrated in the past.

Comment

• nothing seems to go go smoothly for the sox front office. Its like an episode of the 3 Stooges.

Comment

Sox reportedly close to a two year deal with Dempster. source: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...-two-year-deal
          I'm not super thrilled about signing Dempster, but I'm not completely disapointed. I think he has potential to be decent, but I guess for me the jury will be out on how he performs.

Comment

The question then becomes, would you have done say Ellsbury, Lester, Doubront plus some pieces for Bauer, Odorizzi and Myers (Ignoring the fact that the other teams may have simply prefered the players they got over the Red Sox's alternatives)?

That would have been the ultimate rebuilding move (which would have had some other implications). And the casual Red Sox fans would probably have been outraged, but one may wonder how that would have set up the Sox for the future (keeping in mind that there are always question marks with prospects).
            I would have made those trades. A gamble? Absolutely, but one I think may have panned out. I guess we'll see how well Myers, Bauer and Odorizzi develop but my guess is they'll be very good.

Comment

• With Anibal Sanchez getting 5/80 and more and more reports about Edwin Jackson looking at a deal in the 5/60 range, the Dempster deal is starting to look better and better!
              Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• BTW, Excellent article of where the Red Sox are at: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/ba...ed-sox-offseas

Comment

To follow up on my last post, let's imagine for a moment that the Red Sox follow up with some additional FA/trade moves. Say for example the package Salty with a RP to get someone like Gavin Floyd (another not great but good pitcher). Let's also assume they find some depth for RF, SP, RP. That would give the Sox something like:

lineup:
                  Ellsbury
                  Pedroia
                  Ortiz
                  Middlebrooks
                  Napoli
                  Victorino
                  Gomes/Nava (or Kalish if he wins the job in ST)
                  Ross/Lavarnway (or Salty if he is still around)
                  Iglesias/? (how about we trade Melancon for Lowrie?)

Murderers' row? Hardly, but that's a solid lineup.

Rotation:
                  Lester
                  Buchholz
                  Dempster
                  Floyd
                  Lackey/Doubront

The '95 Braves? Don't think so but a massive upgrade over the 2012 rotation.

Bullpen:
                  Bailey
                  Uehara
                  Tazawa
                  Breslow
                  Miller
                  Morales
                  Aceves
                  (potentially Melancon and Bard)

Make sure your SP gets through 6 with the lead and you basically won the game? Yes absolutely (disclaimer: predicting bullpens is nearly impossible due to the extremely high year to year variation.)

Have the Red Sox overpayed for Victorino? Yes. Have they overpayed for Ross and Napoli? Maybe a little. For Dempster and Uehara? I don't think so. Sure they lack a true ace (a la Pedro) and a true #3 hitter (a la Manny Ramirez). But this is, if appropriately managed, a very good team that has the potential to win 90 games and make the playoffs.

There is no guarantee, and a number of pieces will have to fall in place. But I think if the plan was to build a contender without sacrificing the development from within, then I think they are on the right track. Seriously, Red Sox Nation, stop with all the damn negativity!
                  that is a good team. not spectacular, but a solid team. We dont need a lot of big names to play well...we just need the guys on the team to do their job and play baseball. I doubt we are done adding players, but that is a team worth rooting for

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                    that is a good team. not spectacular, but a solid team. We dont need a lot of big names to play well...we just need the guys on the team to do their job and play baseball. I doubt we are done adding players, but that is a team worth rooting for
                    I wholeheartedly agree. I read a comment from some guy - I think it was in the globe comment section - who was basically arguing that the FO is useless for not signing Greinke and other "star caliber" players because this "failed strategy" will not allow us to compete with teams like the O's and Rays. Are these guys for real? Do some fans really not realize just how incoherent such arguments are. Aren't the Rays the prime example that you don't need to sign big star power but develop from within? Are the Orioles (at least the 2012 version) not the best example that you don't need star caliber players to be successful but solid production from top to bottom? Are the Red Sox not the no 1 example that just outspending everyone and signing stars to big long term contracts can be a disastrous path? For real?

As Boxer said, this isnot a spectacular team but a team worth rooting for. And one with an exciting farm too. I hope they are successful so they can continue to follow the new old startegy!
                    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• To clarify, we haven't acquired Gavin Floyd yet, have we?

Personally, I don't care if we have superstars on the roster; as long as the guys we have can play consistently, that's all that matters to me. The other day I was thinking back to 1988 when we had Burks, Greenwell, and Benzinger in our outfield and being excited to turn on the radio and listen to what spectacular thing they were going to do that night. It was a great time to be a Red Sox fan and aside from 2004 and 2007, those were my happiest times as a fan. For better or worse, I was hoping we were going to go with more of a youth movement this coming season. Hopefully, these guys won't disappoint.

Comment

Except his peripherals suggest he's been the exact same pitcher with the Cubs and the Rangers last year!

I'm not suggesting he will be great next year or the next two. It's likely we'll see a spike of about half an ERA point, but people need to stop with the NL pitcher thing because his ERA wasn't good in a limited sample in Texas.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you!
                        I'm not saying "He's no good. NL pitchers to AL never work!" I just didn't like what I saw after he went to Texas. Not like he's moving into a pitcher friendly park either. He got hammer in two starts for 8 runs after coming to Texas, so those two starts did increase his ERA quite a bit. Still, I don't hate the signing and, for two years, I thought it was a reasonable signing. I personally like it signing and it's not like pitcher coming from NL always fails. Just look at Kuroda.

If you're not willing to take a chance and just play it safe, you'll never win again. I don't even think Dempster taking a giant leap of faith. Not like that deal they handed to Victorino.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                          I'm not saying "He's no good. NL pitchers to AL never work!" I just didn't like what I saw after he went to Texas. Not like he's moving into a pitcher friendly park either. He got hammer in two starts for 8 runs after coming to Texas, so those two starts did increase his ERA quite a bit. Still, I don't hate the signing and, for two years, I thought it was a reasonable signing. I personally like it signing and it's not like pitcher coming from NL always fails. Just look at Kuroda.

If you're not willing to take a chance and just play it safe, you'll never win again.
                          I don't even think Dempster taking a giant leap of faith. Not like that deal they handed to Victorino.
                          That's true, but I don't think this offseason was the time to take any chances, not with that free agent crop. If anything, I would have liked to have seen 'em sign a few guys to one-year contracts and let if fly, and wait until we see a better free agent crop. With the additions we made, we're still likely to finish 4th or 5th in the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evangelion View Post

If you're not willing to take a chance and just play it safe, you'll never win again. I don't even think Dempster taking a giant leap of faith. Not like that deal they handed to Victorino.
                            About this AL-NL talk: It will be interesting to see, how those statistics will be changed by expanded interleague play, since Houston has moved to the AL.

The Dempster signing was good, I think. And his Babip suggests, that he was unlucky in Texas and lucky in Chicago. So we should expect something in the middle and a healthy amout of sliders.

As for the chances of this team: Every team in the AL east has question marks. We have a good chance if we sign Napoli. But to me Toronto are the favorites with Tampa.
                            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Well the Jays are certainly all in now, especially so if the trade a package including d'Arnaud and Snydergaard for a package including Dickey as has been rumored. But even the Jays have some big question marks: How healthy will Josh Johnson be, how will Brett Lawrie develop, will Encarnation be as good as he was last year or will he regress to his career averages etc etc.

Comment

• The AL East race looks like it is up for grabs right now.
                                "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                                "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X