No announcement yet.

Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holt has some interesting numbers in the minors and was a Sept call up for Pitt. Im good with that trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
      Holt has some interesting numbers in the minors and was a Sept call up for Pitt. Im good with that trade.
      I don't see how Hanrahan is definitively better than Melancon.
      Bill James projections for 2013:
      Hanrahan: 57 IP, 9.16 K/9, 4.11 BB/9, 3.63 ERA, 3.61 FIP
      Melancon: 57 IP, 8.53 K/9, 2.68 BB/9, 3.47 ERA, 3.33 FIP

Holt looks ok.
      As I follow the Dodgers closely, I'm familiar with DeJesus and Sands. Neither are likely MLB starters but DeJesus can hit some (a leg injury wrecked his defense and speed) and Sands could be 4th/5th OFer.

Comment

• Holt from what I heard has an OK bat. He seems to me like he'll be relegated to a backup at the next level though.

All in all, there is no doubt the pirates won this deal.
        CenterStageSports.com - Where the Big Boys Play

Comment

• We traded a reliever coming off a terrible season, a pitching prospect who appears stalled out,and two utility players (one of whom was out of options) for a guy who's closed for the last two years with good results and a a younger utility guy who has options left (and hits from the left side, as opposed to the right...which fits the roster a bit better). We also clear up some 40-man roster clutter in the process.

I don't expect Hanrahan to be great. I figure he'll be an average-ish closer and with what looks like a very solid pen behind him, this deal makes the team better in 2013 without giving up any real future pieces (unless you think Pimentel will suddenly figure it out).

Melancon has talent, but looked VERY broken last year. His bounce back was not guaranteed. Heck, he's only had one good full season under his belt, and will be 28 next year.

My guess...in 10 years, Sox fans remember Hanrahan having one decent season as the Sox closer, and when they hear who he was traded for, they'll go "Who?"
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

not sure what to do with Bard and Aceves. I imagine one, but not both would be in the pen.
            Unless Aceves gets traded, I imagine that unless he looks lights out in ST, Bard starts in AAA to keep the pressure off and see if he can reclaim his form.

If Bard looks good and Aceves is still around, I can see a trade happen unless other injuries strike during ST.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• looks like the sox are going after LaRoche now. I would love that even though it would cost us our second round pick in the draft. I think LaRoche is a better player all around. I wonder if they are actually considering LaRoche, or are they trying to get Napoli to sign a lesser deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by filihok View Post
                I don't see how Hanrahan is definitively better than Melancon.
                Bill James projections for 2013:
                Hanrahan: 57 IP, 9.16 K/9, 4.11 BB/9, 3.63 ERA, 3.61 FIP
                Melancon: 57 IP, 8.53 K/9, 2.68 BB/9, 3.47 ERA, 3.33 FIP

Holt looks ok.
                As I follow the Dodgers closely, I'm familiar with DeJesus and Sands. Neither are likely MLB starters but DeJesus can hit some (a leg injury wrecked his defense and speed) and Sands could be 4th/5th OFer.
                I am a bit torn about this one, not really knowing what to make of it.
                I firmely believe that Hanrahan will be better than Melancon would be if still in Boston (that does not imply that I don't expect Melancon to do very well in Pittsburgh).

I think from the Pirates side, this makes a lot of sense, dealing away the expensive closer and get an inexpensive RP with 4 years of control, who will not do much worse there than the one they got rid off. Melancon started the season in the worst way possible but improved late in the season (although in low leverage situations). I hated the trade in which we acquired him and even if he bounces back and does great in Pittsburgh I won't miss him.

From the Red Sox' point of view, they acquired a RP that should perform better than Melancon would have if they had kept him. In doing so, they did give up 3 years of control (somewhat surprising given their current situation) and added some payroll. On the plus side, if Hanrahan proves to be an ace closer, they can deal him at the deadline (along with Ells and others, if they have the balls to do so).

As for the rest of the players included, Holt is an upgrade over Ciriaco, even if his BA seems BABIP driven (never understood the infatuation some have with Ciriaco). De Jesus is fungible, and Pimentel likely isn't a great loss. That they were willing to give up on Sands before they really knew him, is a bit surprising, especially given that they currently have absolute no 1B on their roster.

I guess this could turn out either way. But I'm not sure I understand the reason to pull of this one, as I thought their bullpen was an area of strength even before the trade happened. Bailey (IF healthy) is a top closer, Uehara may be the best setup man, Tazawa has been lights out in every regard as a RP. Add Miller who destroyed lefties and Breslow and Morales to the mix, and keep in mind that there is some RP depth with Melancon (before trade), Wilson, Mortensen, Aceves and possibly Bard, and that's a strong group.

I'd grade this trade (given everything I know at this point) as a B-.
                Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                  Unless Aceves gets traded, I imagine that unless he looks lights out in ST, Bard starts in AAA to keep the pressure off and see if he can reclaim his form.

If Bard looks good and Aceves is still around, I can see a trade happen unless other injuries strike during ST.
                  I expect Bard to start the season in Pawtucket no matter what. Even if he looks good in ST, they need to make sure he can repeat his delivery over a longer stretch than ST. Also, Bard (if "lightsout") and Aceves really don't have the same role in the pen. Barring injuries (they always happen, don't they) if the season started right now, I'd think the pen would be:

Hanrahan (CL)
                  Bailey (8th)
                  Uehara (7th)
                  Tazawa (6th/7th/8th)
                  Breslow (6th/7th/8th/LH)
                  Miller (LH)
                  Morales (swingman)
                  Aceves (swingman)

With Mortensen the odd man out (has he options left?) and Bard at AAA.
                  Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

looks like the sox are going after LaRoche now. I would love that even though it would cost us our second round pick in the draft. I think LaRoche is a better player all around. I wonder if they are actually considering LaRoche, or are they trying to get Napoli to sign a lesser deal?
                    I think it's just negotiation tactics. Obviously the Sox want some protection relating to his hip. Much as they had it in the past with many players (including e.g. JD Drew or John Lackey). So they are trying to renegotiate the deal they had originally agreed on. I expect Napoli to sign soon.

Comment

• Having had to trade for Hanrahan, wouldn't Sox fans think that the Bailey for Reddick deal was a terrible trade in hindsight? Should be interesting to see if Hanrahan can withstand the bright lights of Boston compared to the relative obscurity of being the closer for the Pirates...
                      Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
                        Having had to trade for Hanrahan, wouldn't Sox fans think that the Bailey for Reddick deal was a terrible trade in hindsight? Should be interesting to see if Hanrahan can withstand the bright lights of Boston compared to the relative obscurity of being the closer for the Pirates...

While Bailey was on the DL and Reddick was having a breakout season in Oakland last season, I thought the deal was horsespit. The fact that we've traded fir Hanrahan casts some doubts on Bailey. Bailey may be moved to the set-up role.
                        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

looks like the sox are going after LaRoche now. I would love that even though it would cost us our second round pick in the draft. I think LaRoche is a better player all around. I wonder if they are actually considering LaRoche, or are they trying to get Napoli to sign a lesser deal?
                          Well we HAD LaRoche briefly in 2009.....
                          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                            Well we HAD LaRoche briefly in 2009.....
                            We need Napoli. LaRoche is not a fit, for different reasons.
                            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                              We need Napoli. LaRoche is not a fit, for different reasons.
                              Those reasons being...

Comment

• Originally posted by filihok View Post
                                Those reasons being...
                                Age and pushing for three years, draft pick compensation, lefthanded, one position only.

Thought this was obvious.
                                I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X