Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    Sorry, but I see the Red Sox roster as basically a triple A club which wll be nuts to offer Ortiz more than one year if he can walk. The other guys mentioned above have largely no distinguishing characteristics.
    Well, you have to remember that Ortiz is a fan favorite. With nobody else banging the door down to take over DH (or an overabundance of good hitters to cycle in-and-out of the spot, why not bring him back and put a few butts in the seats? This is a team in great need of goodwill right now. Plus, Ortiz can still rake...and 30-homer hitters are a rare breed in this post-steroid-era era.

And then there's the problem of the manager. The jackals and hyenas are now feasting on Valentine's figurative corpse, but now someone else needs to be found. Seeing a replay of Dustin Pedroia's "we don't do that around here", as mutinous a crack as has been heard in a long time, I got to thinking-why not make Pedroia the manager? He is evidently well-respected by the press, the fans and the ownership.

Sound far-fetched? Consider the careers of Bucky Harris, Lou Boudreau, Frankie Frisch and Leo Durocher.
    A lot has changed about the managers job since then. There's a reason there hasn't been a player/manager since what...Pete Rose?

I think there are plenty of good baseball men out there who could come in, take charge, and do as much as a manager can do to help a team win. The key is finding those guys...and if they're not "flashy" names, be OK with it.

One of the best things about Terry Francona was that he was NEVER the story. The next Boston manager needs to understand that the media is a bunch of jackals, bu they have a job to do. Give them enough to do their job, but don't go off throwing people (players, management, coaches...even other teams managers) under the bus just to see your name in the paper.

Really, it shouldn't be that hard. Every other team that hired a manager last year got a solid or better guy (the one team that traded for one, not so much). Some took risks bringing in guys without experience, and were both playoff contenders.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

I'd like to see the Sox live/die by the youth movement for at least the next season. I'd like to see 'em sign Aviles; maybe it was my limited viewing opportunities (I live in Denver) but I always thought he was clutch. I'd like to see 'em sign Cody Ross to a two-year deal. As far as pitching goes, I'd go for a guy like Haren for a year or two. My dad thinks Lackey is going to come back and have a good year but I don't share his optimism. I liked out bullpen overall this year and I think it'll be just as good, if not better, next season.

As far as a manager goes, I hope it's someone who doesn't call out his players in the media. Mike Maddux would be my first choice but as long as he can mesh with the players, I don't care who it is. I'd rather not have John Farrell since he'll cost us a player.

Comment

Can someone make this thread sticky?
        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Sorry, but I see the Red Sox roster as basically a triple A club which wll be nuts to offer Ortiz more than one year if he can walk. The other guys mentioned above have largely no distinguishing characteristics.

And then there's the problem of the manager. The jackals and hyenas are now feasting on Valentine's figurative corpse, but now someone else needs to be found. Seeing a replay of Dustin Pedroia's "we don't do that around here", as mutinous a crack as has been heard in a long time, I got to thinking-why not make Pedroia the manager? He is evidently well-respected by the press, the fans and the ownership.

Sound far-fetched? Consider the careers of Bucky Harris, Lou Boudreau, Frankie Frisch and Leo Durocher.
          David Ortiz is a Red Sox legend. He will stay here. Nobody will offer him anything if the Red Sox offer arbitration. Nobody will give up draft picks for a 37 year old DH. Forget it. And Ortiz will want to keep his image as a Red Sock.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
            David Ortiz is a Red Sox legend. He will stay here. Nobody will offer him anything if the Red Sox offer arbitration. Nobody will give up draft picks for a 37 year old DH. Forget it. And Ortiz will want to keep his image as a Red Sock.
            And I think it's worth going two years on him just to remove the question of "will he be back". If he signs a two-year deal, all he has to worry about is hitting the snot out of the ball...he'll know he'll retire a Red Sox, which will go a long way, I think, towards making him a big influence on the team, both on the field and in the clubhouse.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
              And I think it's worth going two years on him just to remove the question of "will he be back". If he signs a two-year deal, all he has to worry about is hitting the snot out of the ball...he'll know he'll retire a Red Sox, which will go a long way, I think, towards making him a big influence on the team, both on the field and in the clubhouse.
              Ortiz is 37 and damaged. Perhaps he represents the "post-steroid era", but many wonder.

Yes, he is a fan favorite, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a winning season. Not quite so bad as the Mets' situation with Jason Bay and Joaquin Santana, of course, but along those lines.

Comment

The writers' attitude toward a Boston manager echoed the 1942 suggestion by one of them that the MVP award for the Braves be given to the cabbie who ran over Casey Stengel in Kenmore Square, breaking his leg severely.
                Dave "The Colonel" Egan who also had a running feud with Ted Williams. A lot of the other Boston writers took their cue from him.

If those two hack writers Clif & Claf were still around, they'd be best buddies with Valentine.
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Ortiz is 37 and damaged. Perhaps he represents the "post-steroid era", but many wonder.

Yes, he is a fan favorite, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a winning season. Not quite so bad as the Mets' situation with Jason Bay and Joaquin Santana, of course, but along those lines.
                  What are you talking about? Comparing Bay and Ortiz? Are you kidding? Ortiz was never a "bad contract player". He always represented a good investment.
                  Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I would like to see Dice-K stay with us.

Sign him to a PawSox contract with thew understanding that he will not be a non-roster invitee. Let him work a full season in Pawtucket. Remember that he had a few good games in 2012 as he was getting active again from TJ surgery. Keep him at McCoy Stadium until August at least, no matter how well his record is. He needs a *full* season at AAA to get back into the groove again.

If he pitches well and yet there is no room for him in Fenway, he can always be traded and we get prospects in return for him.

Comment

What about Marco Scutaro...

Hit .306/.348/.405 in 625 at bats this season. Wow. Aviles is a far cry from those numbers.

Comment

What are you talking about? Comparing Bay and Ortiz? Are you kidding? Ortiz was never a bad contract players. He always represented a good investment.
                        You have no idea how many Met fans I know who ask me if the Sox could take Bay back....

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post

Sign him to a PawSox contract with thew understanding that he will not be a non-roster invitee. Let him work a full season in Pawtucket. Remember that he had a few good games in 2012 as he was getting active again from TJ surgery. Keep him at McCoy Stadium until August at least, no matter how well his record is. He needs a *full* season at AAA to get back into the groove again.

If he pitches well and yet there is no room for him in Fenway, he can always be traded and we get prospects in return for him.
                          I think he will get 1/5 from Seattle. He wont stay.

Comment

You have no idea how many Met fans I know who ask me if the Sox could take Bay back....

I can imagine...Never thought it would turn out that bad with Bay though...

Comment

What about Marco Scutaro...

Hit .306/.348/.405 in 625 at bats this season. Wow. Aviles is a far cry from those numbers.
                              I don't have the desire to look up the splits myself, but I'll go out on a limb and say those stats were at least partially enhanced by the Coors Field factor.

Comment

You crazy.

I've seen enough of Matsuzaka to known what he'll bring to the table in the future. I'm glad he's gone. Outside 2008, he's been a disappointment.

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
                                I don't have the desire to look up the splits myself, but I'll go out on a limb and say those stats were at least partially enhanced by the Coors Field factor.
                                http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/.../marco-scutaro

Nope, his splits have been better with the Giants this year. His numbers while with Rockies were helped by playing in Coors Field, but since going to the Giants, he's been a force offensively.

Simply put, that trade didn't help. Though, must people are saying getting Scutaro's contract off the books help the team sign Ross, so it's a wash to me. Still, I rather have him than Aviles, who if he's not hitting .300, is terrible since he doesn't walk. Hard to get much offense when you Salty and Aviles are sporting OBP well below .300.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X