Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
    I don't have the desire to look up the splits myself, but I'll go out on a limb and say those stats were at least partially enhanced by the Coors Field factor.
    SS will be the most challenging position to address this offseason. Barring the suggested Ells for Andrus trade, it will be very interesting to see what Ben can pull out of his sleeve. There is no in-house solution, either at a major or minor league level, and none in free agency.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
      SS will be the most challenging position to address this offseason. Barring the suggested Ells for Andrus trade, it will be very interesting to see what Ben can pull out of his sleeve. There is no in-house solution, either at a major or minor league level, and none in free agency.
      We HAD a chamce severral monhs ago to get HanRam back in exchange foir Iglesias. Not surprised we didn't jump at it. Lucchino most likely said no.
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
        We HAD a chamce severral monhs ago to get HanRam back in exchange foir Iglesias. Not surprised we didn't jump at it. Lucchino most likely said no.
        Is the "for Iglesias" part just speculation on your part or was that an actually proposed deal? I was against that deal back then mostly because of Ramirez's massive contract. But in any way it's not longer an option.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
          I can imagine...Never thought it would turn out that bad with Bay though...
          That's my point. Bay was not too shabby before his first concussion, and the second one has evidently made things worse. Of course Ortiz has been far better at the plate than has Bay, but now he is also damaged goods, 37 and doubtless will not play in the field again, at least that's my guess. That's why I can't see offering him a very expensive two year contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
            here is who should get a look for the manager spot:

1. John Farrell - going to cost a player in return. who would they want? Iglesias, um, ok. bring back Aviles and Ciriaco until Xander Bogaerts is ready in 2014
            2. Dave Martinez - been groomed by Maddon down in Tampa and is respected by players.
            3. Mike Maddux - great pitching coach and could turn around the staff instantly.

on the outside and worth at least a look

4. Joey Cora - a baseball guy from a baseball family. Worth at least an interview to see what his plans are.
            5. Arnie Beyeler- did an outstanding job at Pawtucket and deserves an interview.

for now, that would be my list subject to change
            1. Francona. Lucchino shou;ld just admit he screwed up and BEG Francona to return. I do NOT want to see him in the Cleveland dugout next year.

2. Bogar. Valentine hated him so that to me is a good reason to hire him.

3. DeMarlo Hale. Why we was never even interviewd last year was a mystery to me.

4. Ryne Sandberg. He'll be Charlie Manuel's bench coach next season and is Manuel's successor when Charlie hangs 'em up. He got interviewed for the Card and Cubs gigs last year.

5. Pete Mackanin. Just got let go as one of Manuel's coaches in Philly. Has been interim manager with Reds and Pirates. Cherington interviewed him last year..

6. Davey Lopes. New Englander, Wasn't too bad when he managed the Brewers.

7. Gene Lamont. He might've had the job if it wasn't for Lucchino.

8. Jason Varikek. Why not?
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
              I don't get the infatuation with Farrell. I have no interest in ANY manager who we need to deal with compensation for. If the word "compensation" is anywhere near the headline fodder it was last off-season, the team has failed miserably.

I'm sure there a bunch of perfectly good to excellent managers who won't cost players or prospects to bring in. It's not as if Farrell has done anything in his two years in Toronto to distinguish himself. Maddux turned down the opportunity to interview last year, so he may be out. No excuse not to bring in Dave Martinez to talk to them...which I don't believe they did last year.

Other than that, I like Beyeler, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other good candidates...Sandberg, Bogar, heck, old Brad Mills is available.
              I think the owners like Farrell because he's shown success with the pitchers, he knows the our system the city, fans, media and I think the players respect him. I believe Farrell would do a decent job, but I also believe others could be just as effective.

I don't however blieve Farrell is worth giving up significant compensation, but maybe a lower level prospect would be fair.

I like Dave Martinez too and think he'd do a fine job. Another person I think would do a good job is Sandy Alomar Jr. But there's many to choose from who would probably do just as well as Farrell without having to compensate for.

Comment

Toronto paper says Blue Jays wouldn't stand in the way if Farrell wants to go back to Boston

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201..._go_to_boston/
                Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

Youk under a new coach that he knows well? Could very well be.
                  At this time, until I see what moves they make in the offseason I highly doubt they will make the playoffs. To me 2013 is a re-building year, they may pick up some decent players but probably not enough to make the playoffs, though I hope I'm wrong. I think 2014 is a better year to have some hope of the Red Sox making the playoffs.

I'd sign Youk to play 1st if I felt the 2013 team was going to be playoff bound. Youkilis will be 34 in 2013 and though he's still a decent player, he's just not as good as previous years and though he'd help us a bit, but I think age is catching up with him so I'd rather they give Gomez and Sands a chance to see what they can do during our rebuilding year.

There's also been rumors that the Mets might trade Ike Davis. Depending on the cost I'd seriously consider trading for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                    You crazy.

I've seen enough of Matsuzaka to known what he'll bring to the table in the future. I'm glad he's gone. Outside 2008, he's been a disappointment.
                    I'll second that! No more Dice-K!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
                      Ortiz is 37 and damaged. Perhaps he represents the "post-steroid era", but many wonder.

Yes, he is a fan favorite, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a winning season. Not quite so bad as the Mets' situation with Jason Bay and Joaquin Santana, of course, but along those lines.
                      He is 37 (or will be all of next season) and had an injury last year...but before the injury, he was the Sox best hitter. He won't cost a ton for two years, they saved a ton of money in the Nick Punto trade, don't have another option at DH, and have a lineup devoid of power.

It really seems like a no-brainer to me.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                        Agreed. Neither Aviles or Iglesias, or Ciraco for that matter are the answer.

I've read rumors that Andrus could be available but probably at a very steep price. I read an article from a Texas paper where a reporter suggested the Rangers might consider Ellsbury and Lester for him, which is pretty steep but I think I'd make that deal.

Some in other forums have suggested signing Stephen Drew but I really don't think he's too much better then Aviles.

Barring some trade for a SS my guess is the Sox will probably play Aviles then bring uo Iglesias later in the year and play him till Boegarts or someone else in the minors develops.

And who knows, maybe Iglesias will learn to hit enough to make him worth keeping for a while, though I don't have my hopes up for that happening. I think Iglesias best value for us is as a trade chip.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
                          1. Francona. Lucchino shou;ld just admit he screwed up and BEG Francona to return. I do NOT want to see him in the Cleveland dugout next year.

2. Bogar. Valentine hated him so that to me is a good reason to hire him.

3. DeMarlo Hale. Why we was never even interviewd last year was a mystery to me.

4. Ryne Sandberg. He'll be Charlie Manuel's bench coach next season and is Manuel's successor when Charlie hangs 'em up. He got interviewed for the Card and Cubs gigs last year.

5. Pete Mackanin. Just got let go as one of Manuel's coaches in Philly. Has been interim manager with Reds and Pirates. Cherington interviewed him last year..

6. Davey Lopes. New Englander, Wasn't too bad when he managed the Brewers.

7. Gene Lamont. He might've had the job if it wasn't for Lucchino.

8. Jason Varikek. Why not?
                          I am warming to the idea of Lamont. Solid baseball guy who could be just what the sox need.

Comment

I can imagine...Never thought it would turn out that bad with Bay though...
                            I had to look this up.

Jason Bay is batting .165/.237/.299/.536.

Jonathan Niese is batting .218/.295/.218/.513.

Jonathan Niese is a pitcher.
                            Last edited by Blue387; 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM.
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                              At this time, until I see what moves they make in the offseason I highly doubt they will make the playoffs. To me 2013 is a re-building year, they may pick up some decent players but probably not enough to make the playoffs, though I hope I'm wrong. I think 2014 is a better year to have some hope of the Red Sox making the playoffs.

I'd sign Youk to play 1st if I felt the 2013 team was going to be playoff bound. Youkilis will be 34 in 2013 and though he's still a decent player, he's just not as good as previous years and though he'd help us a bit, but I think age is catching up with him so I'd rather they give Gomez and Sands a chance to see what they can do during our rebuilding year.

There's also been rumors that the Mets might trade Ike Davis. Depending on the cost I'd seriously consider trading for him.
                              I like the idea of bringing Youkillis back for one year, but not against letting Mauro Gomez receive a chance. I don't believe there's much of a upgrade or downgrade from either. Youkillis doesn't appear to be hitting for average any longer and he's a injury risk, but he does have the ability to draw walks and get on base. This team major issue offensive is their inability to get on base. Salty and Aviles both major to sport OBP under .300. Even Youkillis pasted both of them in that category after going to Chicago. I want the team to get back to bring strong OBP players back into the lineup. They got away from that ideal by bring Aviles, Salty and Crawford. Gomez biggest selling point to me is his possible upside. If he could produce those numbers he sported in AAA. He be awesome.

I would love to land Ike Davis, which I heard the Mets are interested in moving. I'm not sure we have the pieces to land him. I'm sure the Mets would ask for Jackie Bradley in any deal involving Ike Davis. I'm not sure I be against moving 22 year old Bradley for 25 year old Ike Davis. I don't see the Mets being interest in Jon Lester or Matt Barnes since starting pitching isn't the issue with their club. I known they have no interest in a one year rental of Ellsbury.

Agreed. Neither Aviles or Iglesias, or Ciraco for that matter are the answer.

I've read rumors that Andrus could be available but probably at a very steep price. I read an article from a Texas paper where a reporter suggested the Rangers might consider Ellsbury and Lester for him, which is pretty steep but I think I'd make that deal.

Some in other forums have suggested signing Stephen Drew but I really don't think he's too much better then Aviles.

Barring some trade for a SS my guess is the Sox will probably play Aviles then bring uo Iglesias later in the year and play him till Boegarts or someone else in the minors develops.

And who knows, maybe Iglesias will learn to hit enough to make him worth keeping for a while, though I don't have my hopes up for that happening. I think Iglesias best value for us is as a trade chip.
                              Nope. I've soured on Iglesias after that pitiful audition this year. 8 hits in 68 AB. 3 hits came in one game. He looks lost at the plate. At 22, he's got time, but he's been in the system for some time, right? I would have hoped he progressed further. He might just be another Adam Everett/Jack Wilson type player, which would make him a great defensive replacement, but not a good everyday player. This lineup isn't as powerful as in the past. We can't just give up outs by placing him the lineup.

While I like Ciraco, I believe he played above his head, but he deserve a shot next year. He seem one of the few young players to make the most of his chance this year. I love Circaco off the bench next year as I don't see him as a starter. If we need a 2B, he be good, but we're all set there.

Mike Aviles can leave. It's disappointing what he did this year. He end up being okay with the glove, but offensively, he was pitiful. Maybe in the past when people placed a lot of values upon RBI, he look good, but no longer. How we left this guy bat 512 and post an OPS of .663. That's terrible. He manage a pitiful 23 BB, which won't be a problem if he manage to hit .300, which is how players who don't walk justify not walking, but he manage a poor .250 batting average. It stings even more watching Scutaro be the offensive spark for the Giants after he was traded from Rockies. Scutaro did exactly what was expected for our club and we dealt for Aviles. Though, that deal might have helped us sign Ross, so it's a wash.

Andrus is price tag is likey too high. I don't believe the club should trade Lester unless it's to bring a starting pitching in. While he was horrible this year, we can't deal a starter who has a good track record while his value at an all time low. Not to mention obtaining Andrus will likely cost even more pieces than Lester. Even straight up, which I doubt the Rangers would even do, not sure I do this trade unless improvements were made to the rotation before the possible trade.

Just say no to Drew family.

SS is a glaring need.

Comment

I'm also wasn't pleased with how uninteresting all of our young players looked this year outside of Will Middlebrooks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X