Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    the problem with ellsbury is that his value is much lower than last season especially due to the injury. so you will get much less for him than a year ago. I would only trade him if someone is willing to pay a reasonable price which I'm not sure someone will at this point.

If you only get some B-level prospects or a 5th starter for him you might wait if he gives you a good next season.
    A B-level or 5th starter? If you don't get a premium pitching prospect or ss, you don't even think about it. Everything else would be crazy!
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

How about Allen Webster for Anthony Rizzo? The Cubs really wanted Webster at the deadline. I'm not that high on Webster (though that doesn't mean anything really), and it would give the Sox a nice (young, cost controlled) IF of Rozzo, Pedroia, someone, Middlebrooks.
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
        A B-level or 5th starter? If you don't get a premium pitching prospect or ss, you don't even think about it. Everything else would be crazy!
        yes. although they did a pure salary dump deal with gonzelez and youkilis too.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

How about Allen Webster for Anthony Rizzo? The Cubs really wanted Webster at the deadline. I'm not that high on Webster (though that doesn't mean anything really), and it would give the Sox a nice (young, cost controlled) IF of Rozzo, Pedroia, someone, Middlebrooks.
          Usually I would say the cubs are dumb enough to do that however I don't think epstein will do that. rizzo had a quite solid season there and as you said he is cheap. would the cubs really give away a cheap "proven" MLB first baseman for a pitcher that never pitched past AA to date? I don't know webster but it would require a top pitching prospect to get a young 1B man that projects to produce a 120-130 OPS+ (maybe not next year but in the long run).
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

No.

Keep Webster. We need pitching and I like Webster. I don't want to deal with Theo and Hoyer. We got fleeeced when we send them Hunter Cervenka at the PTBNL in the Byrd deal. Cervenka had great numbers in the Cubs syste after he was sent there.

do not give up Webster!!!

Allan Webster Sea Dogs.GIF
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

This is hardly more than something some writer thought might make sense and wrote it down, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it: Ellsbury to Texas for Derek Holland (I assume straight up)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7881572.story

Personally I am somewhat split on this, probably because I find it hard to put a value on either player.
              Ellsbury is a potential MVP-caliber CFer, but he is under contract for only one more year and will get expensive after that year. He is, however, the top (maybe only major) trade chip the Sox have.
              Holland, on the other hand, is young cost controlled lefty with a good sinking fastball and an OK slider. He gets a fair amount of groundballs and his K/BB-rates have been improving every year (2.79 last year). He also seems pretty durable (6.5IP per start). However, he is prone to give up the HR (13% HR/FB) especially to RH power hitters (likely because his curve and change suck). He relies heavily on his FB (nearly 70% of the time) which would be a big time problem if he ever lost velocity on it.

In the end the question is could you possibly get a better return for Ells? The number of teams that are in need of a CF, think highly of Ells, and have the resources to potentially extend him are somewhat limited. And young cost controlled pitching is exactly what the Sox should be targeting.
              Actually there is also the question, whether Holland is significantly or at all better than Anibal Sanchez or Edwin Jackson, who are (pricey) FAs.

Addendum: I'm getting less impressed with Holland, the longer I think about it.
              Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
                No.

Keep Webster. We need pitching and I like Webster. I don't want to deal with Theo and Hoyer. We got fleeeced when we send them Hunter Cervenka at the PTBNL in the Byrd deal. Cervenka had great numbers in the Cubs syste after he was sent there.

do not give up Webster!!!
                Webster is among the top pitching prospects in the org now, and I don't want to give him up cheaply. But what do you see in Webster that makes you think he's special? Don't get me wrong, but I'm really not sure what people see in him. Just from his stats, I think he is overrated as a prospect and I wouldn't mind trade him for a better prospect/young player (such as Rizzo or Mike Adams or a young ss).

Comment

What do people think about the available (and not useless) FA starters: Dan Haren, Jake Peavy, Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, Brandon McCarthy. What will it take to get (one of) them? Who do you like if any of them?

Comment

What do people think about the available (and not useless) FA starters: Dan Haren, Jake Peavy, Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, Brandon McCarthy. What will it take to get (one of) them? Who do you like if any of them?
                    I would bring Sanchez back in the fold in a millisecond. Also take note that the Cards may not re-sign Kyle Lohse.

I like Jackson. Saw him pitch for the Rays and was impressed.
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Last year, I suggested not firing Tito, suggested Valentine would be an utter disaster, proposed looking into trading Beckett and Youkilis while their value was still high (I suggested trading for Headley and signing Kuroda as replacements). I thought the trade for Melancon was a huge mistake (I actually suggested they should get Kenley Janssen for Lowrie), and I welcomed the trade for Bailey. Unlike Cherrington, of course, I was not restricted by actually having to deal with opposing GMs.

Here are some suggestions for 2013 (and beyond):

- If Farrell requires anything more in terms of compensation than what they got for Theo, sign Tim Wallach. Why Wallach? I can't really explain.
                      - Make a qualifying offer to David Ortiz, then resign him (if necessary for two years).
                      -Resign Cody Ross to 2/16. That should be feasible. He has more value to us than anybody else, and 2/16 is absolutely fair.
                      - If someone like Dan Haren or Brandon McCarthy can be had on a 1-year pillow contract (a la Kuroda), do it! I particularly like Haren (Would offer him a multi-year deal if it's nothing crazy).
                      - If Ellsbury fetches you a major return - young, cost controled (or top prospect) SP, SS or C - you do it. Otherwise you keep him. Swiss has suggested Julio Teheran, and I'd be on board with that. Elvis Andrus would be fine too (I think it will need more than Ells, and is rather unlikely in general). Derek Holland, as rumored, maybe.
                      - Trade Webster for Rizzo or Matt Adams. Adams is blocked in STL and CHI really wanted Webster in any deal for Dempster. If you can't, sign Youkilis to a two year deal to play 1B (assuming Youkilis would do that, now that Valentine is gone.). Otherwise, what would it take to sign Napoli? If a Beltre-esque deal can be made, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
                      - If you trade Ellsbury, what would it take to get Michael Bourn (probably way to much). Bourn is also similar to Andrus, so maybe that is a more likely option if they trade Ells for pitching rather than Ells+ for Andrus. Bradley likely needs two more years in the minors. You could have him in RF (replacing Ross) if you have Bourn in CF (and Kalsih in LF).
                      - Could they maybe trade for Choo or Prado? Both are potentially available but certainly would be expensive to acquire.
                      - That would give you the a lineup, rotation and bullpen along the lines of:

Bourn (29, signed through 2017)*
                      Pedroia (28, signed through 2014 with '15 option)
                      Rizzo/Adams (22, signed through 2018/ 23, signed through 2017/2018?)
                      Ortiz (36, signed through 2013/2014)
                      Middlebrooks (23, signed through 2017)
                      Ross (31, signed through 2014)
                      Andrus** (23, signed through 2015)
                      Kalish/Sands (24, signed through 2016/2017?/24, signed through 2017?)
                      Salty/Lavarnway/?***

Haren (31, signed through 2013?)
                      Lester (28, signed through 2013 with '14 option)
                      Buchholz (27, signed through 2015 eith '16 option)
                      Lackey (32, signed through 2015)
                      Doubront (24, signed through 2017?)
                      Morales (26, signed through 2014)
                      De la Rossa (23, signed through 2017/2018?)

* I'd prefer Choo or Prado (especially Choo) to Bourn, but you have to trade for them. Andrus would then be the leadoff guy and Choo/Prado somewhere in the 3 to 6 spots.
                      **or you have Teheran/Holland/? instead of Andrus, in which case you maybe have Iglesias in the 9 hole and Teheran or whomever in the rotation. I might prefer that scenario to the one above (especially when it's Teheran and they trade a pitching prospect in Webster)!
                      ***I'm not crazy happy with our catching situation. But I don't really have a solution.

Bailey (28, signed through 2014)
                      Bard (27, signed through 2015)
                      Hill
                      Tazawa
                      Beato
                      Miller
                      Breslow
                      Plus, idealy a top 8th inning guy.

There are many other posiibilities and scenarios, especially through trade. But those two would turn the Sox into a balanced team that would be very good with the potential to get even better: A mix of veterans like Ortiz, Ross, Pedroia and young high upside (cost controled) players like Middlebrooks, Rizzo, Kalish etc. All at a sustainable payroll without any crazy contracts.
                      Plus, you'd still have Bogaerts, Brdaley, Barnes, Brentz, Cecchini and others in the minors (The only significant prospect that gets traded is Allen Webster).
                      Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

A very well written and thought out post Therwil, nice job, here's my thoughts;

Here are some suggestions for 2013 (and beyond):

- If Farrell requires anything more in terms of compensation than what they got for Theo, sign Tim Wallach. Why Wallach? I can't really explain.
                        I like Farrell and think he’d do a good job, but also feel several others would do just as well, The more I think about it the less I like the idea of giving up compensation for Farrell, so I’d go with someone that doesn’t cost anything. Wallach seems like he’d be fine and so does Ausmus, Hale, Pena, Martinez, Alomar Jr. and Burlson. I’d be fine with any of them.

- Make a qualifying offer to David Ortiz, then resign him (if necessary for two years).
                        -Resign Cody Ross to 2/16. That should be feasible. He has more value to us than anybody else, and 2/16 is absolutely fair.
                        I agree with you about Big Papi. The sentimental side of me wants Ortiz to end his career with the Red Sox but the business side of me wonders if he worth the money and years he wants. Ortiz will be 37 and missed about half the season getting injured running the bases. To me that’s a red flag. Plus I doubt we’ll be a playoff team in 2013 and possibly not in 2014 which are the two years we’d have him for.

As for Ross, I’d offer 2 years at 10 million tops. He was a good player for us, but as you pointed out, statistically he was very good at Fenway and not so that great on the road and will be 32 next season.

- If someone like Dan Haren or Brandon McCarthy can be had on a 1-year pillow contract (a la Kuroda), do it! I particularly like Haren (Would offer him a multi-year deal if it's nothing crazy).
                        I like those pitchers and I realize your selecting “pillow” contracts to buy time until our prospects are ready, but I’d I’d prefer to sign Jake Peavy and Anibel Sanchez to multi year contracts.

Jake Peavy RHP (31)
                        2012 stats: ERA 3.37 IP 219 K 194 BB 49 WHIP 1.096 FIP 3.73 xFIP 4.00 fWAR 4.4

Anibal Sanchez RHP (29)
                        2012 stats: ERA 3.86 IP 195.2 K 167 BB 48 WHIP 1.267 FIP 3.53 xFIP 3.60 fWAR 3.8

I realize it’s a gamble and I’ve been wrong before about FA pitchers (Lackey) but I think (admittedly just a hunch) Peavy will be a good pitcher and healthy enough for about 4 years so I’d offer 4 years for around 60 million with maybe a team option for a 5th year. Sanchez I’d offer 5 years for around 60 million. Though it’s possible they may cost more and I might be willing to pay a little more, but I think this is a good opportunity to build a quality staff with some proven veterans since we now have some money.

And if both were added to our staff, I still wouldn’t expect to make the playoffs in 2013 but both would be very helpful towards building a solid rotation for the future.

Plus if we did sign both we would have a surplus of starting pitchers, so I’d use Lester or maybe Buchholz as a trade chip for a good player at either SS, Catcher or outfielder.

- If Ellsbury fetches you a major return - young, cost controled (or top prospect) SP, SS or C - you do it. Otherwise you keep him. Swiss has suggested Julio Teheran, and I'd be on board with that. Elvis Andrus would be fine too (I think it will need more than Ells, and is rather unlikely in general). Derek Holland, as rumored, maybe.
                        I’d be fine with Ellsbury for Holland but I suspect this rumor just isn’t true since I believe the Rangers will be looking for pitching in the offseason so why would they give up a young cost controlled pitcher?

I’d be equally fine with Ells for Julio Teheran or Randall Delgado. And definitely Andrus, though I believe it will cost more then Ellsbury to get Andrus, if he’s even available.

- Trade Webster for Rizzo or Matt Adams. Adams is blocked in STL and CHI really wanted Webster in any deal for Dempster. If you can't, sign Youkilis to a two year deal to play 1B (assuming Youkilis would do that, now that Valentine is gone.). Otherwise, what would it take to sign Napoli? If a Beltre-esque deal can be made, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
                        I’d trade Webster for Rizzo, but I doubt Theo would do that. And I’d trade Webster for Matt Adams though I’m not sure the Cards would do that. I have little interest in bringing Youk back mainly because I feel he’s declining and he’ll be 34 next season. And though he might be a better option then Gomez, I’d prefer to give the International league MVP a shot while were still rebuilding to see how he does in a full season, I think he’ll do a decent job. As for Napoli, I think he'll want more money then I'd be willing to pay, but maybe.

- If you trade Ellsbury, what would it take to get Michael Bourn (probably way to much). Bourn is also similar to Andrus, so maybe that is a more likely option if they trade Ells for pitching rather than Ells+ for Andrus. Bradley likely needs two more years in the minors. You could have him in RF (replacing Ross) if you have Bourn in CF (and Kalsih in LF).
                        You have some good ideas here. Bourn who will be 30 in 2013 is intriguing, he doesn’t hit for too much power but is an excellent base stealer and a gold glove CF so I wouldn’t mind signing him, but where he’s a Boras client I think he might be very pricey, Boras might use Crawfords contract as a model so he'll probably cost much more then I’d want to pay.

- Could they maybe trade for Choo or Prado? Both are potentially available but certainly would be expensive to acquire.
                        I have no interest in Choo for 2013 as he’d only be a one year rental then will become a FA with Boras as his agent, same situation as Ellsbury. Plus it would cost prospects to trade for him, something I wouldn’t do for a rental in 2013. I might however consider signing Choo as a FA in 2014 depending on our OF situation and the cost.

I assume you mean Martin Prado of the Braves? If so, I’d trade for him depending on the price, he’ll be 29 in 2013 and won’t be a FA till 2015, but I’m guessing he’d cost a lot, possibly more then we’d want to give up in trade but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to inquire.

instead of Andrus, in which case you maybe have Iglesias in the 9 hole and Teheran or whomever in the rotation. I might prefer that scenario to the one above (especially when it's Teheran and they trade a pitching prospect in Webster)!
                        Iglesias could be the best defensive SS since Ozzie Smith, but I really think we need a SS that can hit better then what he’s shown so far, and yes I know he’s still young and could/should improve, but right now I only see him as a defensive replacement and feel his best value to us is as a trade chip. But if we can’t pull off a trade for Andrus, perhaps a trade for Jose Reyes is an option? Else maybe give Ciraco a try during our rebuilding year of 2013. And if Iglesias isn't traded maybe in 2014 he'll be able to hit better. At this time, I feel Deven Marrero is probably our SS for the future, but it's impossible to know how he'll develop and if he does well he probably won't be ready for two years.

***I'm not crazy happy with our catching situation. But I don't really have a solution.
                        Salty is adequate, but since were in rebuilding mode maybe we can try an improve at catcher. I watch a lot of Diamondback games, and I really like Miguel Montero and though it’s doubtful he’s available, I’d at least talk to Kevin Towers and see if they’d trade him. If so proabably a steep price I’m sure but he may be worth it.

Since this post is so long I’m going to talk about why I covet Montero in the next post.

Comment

I believe it’s very important to have a catcher that works well with the pitchers and plays good defense, trust me, Montero is one of the best in the game.

I believe Tek played a vital role in working with the pitchers to help us win two WS and I believe Montero is the type of catcher that our pitching staff would benefit from.

Montero is reportedly a clubhouse leader and I’ve read that some consider him the best catcher at framing pitches. In addition, Montero calls games extremely well, in fact D-backs pitcher Wade Miley reportedly predominantly relies on Montero’s game calling.

Sound familiar? I believe that most of the Sox pitchers relied on Tek the way D-Back pitchers rely on Montero.

Offensively, Montero is one of the best hitting; .286/.391/.438

Montero ranked tied for 3rd in fWar among all MLB catchers at 5.0 in 2012.

But for me it’s his defense/pitch framing/game calling and leadership qualities that makes me covet him.

There’s not a lot of good catchers defense stats available but Montero ranked;
                          Tied for 3rd with Matt Weiters for fewest PB’s among all MLB catchers with 5
                          - 3rd among all MLB catchers in CS% at 42% and in 2011 ranked 1st at 42%
                          - 9th in fielding percentage among all MLB catchers at .992
                          - 10th among all MLB catchers for fewest errors with 9
                          - tied for 3rd among all MLB catchers for assists with 78

I ran across a blog where they use a variety of stats to rate catchers defense for 2012, I think the blogger did a excellent job. Montero ranked 4th, here’s the top 10;

Rank Player Tm PA FERuns TERuns PBWPRuns CSruns Total
                          1 Yadier Molina STL 4882 1.4 1.6 2.4 10.8 16.3
                          2 Ryan Hanigan CIN 3623 0.3 0.8 4.9 7.9 14.0
                          3 Matt Wieters BAL 5006 0.0 -0.7 5.6 7.6 12.5
                          4 Miguel Montero ARI 4994 0.0 -0.2 2.5 5.1 7.3
                          5 Buster Posey SFG 4070 -1.1 0.2 4.0 3.8 6.9
                          6 Carlos Ruiz PHI 3616 -1.9 1.3 4.6 1.9 5.9
                          7 A.J. Ellis LAD 4797 0.7 0.6 0.5 4.1 5.8
                          8 Yorvit Torrealba TEX 1670 0.5 0.1 4.8 0.0 5.4
                          9 Erik Kratz PHI 1417 0.4 0.4 1.0 3.6 5.4
                          10 Bobby Wilson LAA 2133 0.6 -0.6 3.4 1.5 4.9

I recommend reading this blog which includes a list all MLB catchers for defense.;

http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/1...-2012-edition/

In an article talking about Montero on Fangraphs they mentioned Montero is one of the best at framing pitches, here’s some of the article;

However, other methods of evaluating catcher defense are much more positive about Montero behind the plate. One crude metric saw him as the best defensive catcher in the National League 2011 with respect to a cumulative rating with respect to throwing out base stealers, blocking pitches, and avoiding errors — about eight runs above average overall. Perhaps even more intriging with respect to Montero is Mike Fast’s recent work on pitch framing. Fast found that since 2007, Montero has been one of the best pitch-framers in baseball, saving about 11 runs per 120 games.
                          It is tough to put this all together into a fielding projection for Montero, so let’s give a range. On the low side, let’s say at worst Montero is about average based on the Fans Scouting Report. On the high side, let’s take the metrics listed in the previous paragraph, also accounting for a bit of (very crudely eyeballed) regression, and say that Montero might also be 10 runs above average per full season as a catcher.
                          http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...tinez-contract

I don’t know if the D-Backs will trade him and I’m sure if they did he’d cost a small fortune, but Montero may be worth sacrificing some top prospects and or maybe a MLB player or two imo.

Comment

I'd also check in on Justin Upton who has been rumored to be on the trade block, though lately I'm hearing maybe not.

And if Ellsbury is traded, perhaps we could consider D-backs CF Chris Young, who I've read is someone they will most likely trade, he plays ok defense, has some speed and hits for some power. His 2012 stats are .231/.311/.434 I've also read that the D-backs may chip in some money for his contract.

My thinking is Young and Upton in a package deal depending on what the price is.

The D-backs are looking for a SS, perhaps Aviles or maybe even Iglesias would interest them in addition to some very good prospects and or a MLB player.

Comment

Chris Young of the D-Backs is a guy who can go 20-20 year in and year out plus play pretty good CF, he would be an intriguing pickup, as would Justin Upton. How about Justins older bro BJ? Hes a free agent this year, but probably would cost quite a bit.

Miguel Montero is pretty underrated if you ask me. Quietly one of the games best catchers, but he just signed a 6yr. 65 Million dollar deal this season. Maybe that doesnt mean much and could still be tradable, though like you said DogDaze, would be very expensive to get, he seems like a guy the Diamondbacks are going to want to hang on to.

Im sorry, but I just dont think Kevin Youkilis is the best option at 1B anymore. Hes aging poorly, average down, power numbers down, Mauro Gomez deserves a shot at full time play in my opinion. And who knows, maybe he will have a nice season and be worth something on the trade market next offseason or the one after. He would bring more in than Youkilis would a year or two down the road, but that just how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
                                Chris Young of the D-Backs is a guy who can go 20-20 year in and year out plus play pretty good CF, he would be an intriguing pickup, as would Justin Upton. How about Justins older bro BJ? Hes a free agent this year, but probably would cost quite a bit.

Miguel Montero is pretty underrated if you ask me. Quietly one of the games best catchers, but he just signed a 6yr. 65 Million dollar deal this season. Maybe that doesnt mean much and could still be tradable, though like you said DogDaze, would be very expensive to get, he seems like a guy the Diamondbacks are going to want to hang on to.

Im sorry, but I just dont think Kevin Youkilis is the best option at 1B anymore. Hes aging poorly, average down, power numbers down, Mauro Gomez deserves a shot at full time play in my opinion. And who knows, maybe he will have a nice season and be worth something on the trade market next offseason or the one after. He would bring more in than Youkilis would a year or two down the road, but that just how I see it.
                                I'm not sure what the point is of trading away Ellsbury and then go acquire Justin Upton. Basically, you trade away one CFer with MVP potential who is going to get expensive a year from now, and then need the entire prospect haul plus more to acquire another CFer with MVP potential who is fairly expensive for the next three years and then will get really expensive. Of course Upton is a tremendous player, no question, but I'm not sure it makes sense at this point.

Chris Young is an interesting player. Are there any indications that he is on the block? As for Montero, I've been a fan for a while. But I don't think there is any chance you can acquire him without massively overpaying. Mauro Gomez, for me, isn't the answer at 1B (maybe in a platoon role with Sands? But their splits are really to small of a sample).
                                Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 10-16-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X