No announcement yet.

2013 manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Chip Hale. He analyzes players on his computer and might be open to advanced statistical thinking. He's worked as a coach and minor league manager, winning PCL manager of the year once.

He was also alert to game situations as seen in this video clip:
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Tony Pena and DeMarlo Hale join Wallach and Ausmus as candidates that are confirmed to interview with Red Sox. Arnie Beyeler reportedly will not be interviewed for manager position.
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
        Tony Pena and DeMarlo Hale join Wallach and Ausmus as candidates that are confirmed to interview with Red Sox. Arnie Beyeler reportedly will not be interviewed for manager position.
        too bad about Arnie Beyeler...he at least should get an interview. I love the idea of Tony Pena and would welcome him as the next manager

Comment

Wait nobody posted that yet? As expected, the 2013 manager of the Boston Red Sox is John Farrell! Cherington managed to get rid of Mike Aviles in the process (maybe I'm a little unfair to Mike, but his .280 OBP was just too much for me), and, if rumors are to be believed, took on Adam Lind and his contract!

I'm glad Farrell is on board. I wasn't as high on him as I was midseason, but he's a manager who has a good relationship with ownership, the FO, many of the players and some of the remaining coaches. If he can establish a close but respectful relationship with the rest of the guys, he may be a really good manager for the Sox. I've been for a long time saying that some of the most important skills of a manager are the handle personalities and have a feel for the players. We will see to what extent Farrell has these skills.

As for Mike Aviles, you never know what you have until it's gone, but at this point I can't say I'll miss him. He was a really - somewhat surprisingly - good defensive shortstop. But his hitting was just brutal! Sure he had some pop, but his .280 obp was as atrocious as it was to watch him hack at pitches that weren't anywhere near the strike zone.
          I wonder if their willingness to part easily with Aviles is a) a sign that they might go back to a solid OBP-based approach, b) believe in Iglesias and the value of his defense or c) neither. I hope it's a.

Adam Lind if he indeed comes to Boston could be interesting (hey, I said could be). On the first look he is a pure ($7m) salary dump from the Jay's POV. His fWAR the last couple of years: 0.2, 0.5, -0.8, 3.7, 0.1. With the exception of 2009 he was basically a relacement level player. But if you look at his splits, he hit .282 .335 .502 (120 wRC+) against righties (and was absolutely useless against lefties) careerwise. Jerry Sands (small sample!!), on the other hand hit .316 .372 .532 (154 wRC+) against lefties. Maybe this could work somehow?

Now it's time to find the really important staff: the new pitching coach and hitting coach!
          Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

I gotta say, my major concern about Farrell was compensation, and if the compensation is Aviles and some salary, then I think that's brilliant (I hadn't thought of THAT!) There is a very good chance Aviles wouldn't have been back next year...he seemed a bit disgruntled at the end of the season and as TF mentioned, he's not exactly an "on base machine".
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

I'm glad the manager search is over. I think Farrell will do a good job.

As Mike said, compensation was a concern so I'm glad it wasn't a good prospect. I can live with them giving up Aviles. As we all know Aviles was terrible with OBP and if Lind is coming over, as Therwil said he'd be a good strict platoon player hitting against righties.

So who will be our SS in 2013, Iglesias or Ciraico, or do they trade for someone?

If they don't trade for a SS I'd start with Ciraico, have Iglesias spend more time in AAA to learn to hit better, then if he does well maybe bring him up mid-season.

Hopefully (though I'm not holding my breath) they can trade for Andrus or maybe Reyes.
              Last edited by Dogdaze; 10-21-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

If Ross is retained, I could see Lind picking up some at bats against RHP playing LF. Ross does most of his damage against LHP, so he could use someone to take a few at bats against RHP.

With Inglesis and Ciraico, they have two very imperfect SS solutions...I imagine they'll explore a trade, but may be willing to go "defense first" while waiting for some of the prospects to come up through the system. I don't think there's much for SS's on the FA market, but maybe they'll find some short-term stop gap there.

Comment

Lind reportedly not involved in deal.

I don't know if this is just in my mind, but it seems that Lucchino had little to nothing to say in this search. And suddenly the process is smooth and good decisions are made. I hope this is the beginning of a trend. A trend that takes power away from LL and moves it back to the FO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                    If Ross is retained, I could see Lind picking up some at bats against RHP playing LF. Ross does most of his damage against LHP, so he could use someone to take a few at bats against RHP.

With Inglesis and Ciraico, they have two very imperfect SS solutions...I imagine they'll explore a trade, but may be willing to go "defense first" while waiting for some of the prospects to come up through the system. I don't think there's much for SS's on the FA market, but maybe they'll find some short-term stop gap there.
                    I say go with the youngsters. Who cares if the solution is imperfect. I'd rather live/die with our own guys over the next year or two.

Comment

I also think Farrell will do well in Boston. He knows the organization and has managed against them for two years, which means that he also knows about some of their weaknesses.

Comment

The only knock on Farrell is the lack of player development under his watch in Toronto, although he didn't have much to work with there:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/10/...o-the-red-sox/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                          I gotta say, my major concern about Farrell was compensation, and if the compensation is Aviles and some salary, then I think that's brilliant (I hadn't thought of THAT!) There is a very good chance Aviles wouldn't have been back next year...he seemed a bit disgruntled at the end of the season and as TF mentioned, he's not exactly an "on base machine".
                          could you say the Jays were screwed in this one? mike aviles is really not much of a compensation.
                          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
                            I say go with the youngsters. Who cares if the solution is imperfect. I'd rather live/die with our own guys over the next year or two.
                            Oh, if you have a major-league ready solution waiting in the wings, you don't block him with a medicore vet like a Lind (or even a Ross). The Sox do have Kalish, but even if he plays every day, they Sox will need 1-2 other OF (plus Ellsbury) on the roster.

I think at this point, you can't count on Kalish out of the gate in 2013...but he should be given every chance to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                              could you say the Jays were screwed in this one? mike aviles is really not much of a compensation.
                              Well, the compensation for GMs/managers is usually pretty light. Look at what we got for Theo. Aviles is a solid utility guy who can start at SS, 3B, or 2B. That's got value.

Comment

Two thoughts:

1) The Sox apparently have not fixed their "information leak" that's been plaguing them for the last few seasons. They really need to fix that before it hurts them further.

2) I thought getting Carpenter back seemed like a pretty darn good "throw in" player, but apparently he was going to be placed on waivers to be removed from the 40-man, so the Jays probably would have lost him anyway.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎