Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Post-Youk Signing Philosophical Question For Red Sox Fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Post-Youk Signing Philosophical Question For Red Sox Fans

    Hello All-

    Now that Kevin Youkilis has signed with the Yankees like Damon, Boggs, and Clemens before him, I had a thought and I'm interested in your response.

    Could you change your allegiance to the Yankees the way these players did?

    It's probably not thought of twice that a free agent ballplayer would sign with the highest bidder, which is usually the Yankees if they want to be, but what about a fan? Could a fan be offered an amount of money to become a Yankees partisan?

    Say you're offered $10 million. Financial security for your family. The deal is that all of New England sees you put on the pinstriped jersey, and whenever someone asks who your favorite team is, you must answer with "the...the...come on, say it!...the Yankees!"

    Here's two answers I got from Red Sox fans at work:

    "For that kind of money I could put the jersey on and pretend I'm a Yankees fan here (NJ), but I wouldn't be able to put my heart in it. And if I had to move back to New England, no amount of money would be worth the abuse."

    "For $10 million, I would put on the Yankees jersey, give the money to my wife, and put a bullet in my head."

    Would love to hear from Red Sox fans on this. I'm going to write a piece about it for my website.

    Thanks,
    Kurt

    P.S. I'm an O's fan, and I could never pull for Mike Mussina when he wore a Yankees uniform. Loved him as an Oriole, and glad he never won a Series.
    :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

  • #2
    Wow, talk about an indecent proposal! I'm glad you clarified yourself as an O's fan, otherwise I'd think you were a sadistic Yankee fan (is there another kind?). But let's clarify something. Yes, Boggs and Damon signed with the Yankees after successful stints in Boston. Boggs didn't bother me all that much, 'cause at the time the Yankees weren't really any better than the Red Sox. Of course, that changed in 1996 and that shot of him on the police horse is iconic. I guess time has healed me with that one 'cause it doesn't bother me that much. Damon, OTOH, pissed me off royally, mostly 'cause he flat-out lied to the fans. This is what he said in May of 2005--"There’s no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard,” Damon said. “It’s definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It’s not what I need.” And we all know what happened that December!!! Clemens? He signed with the Blue Jays and was traded to the Yanks after two Cy Youngs in Toronto, so while I loathed him while he was in pinstripes, he went there via trade.

    If Youk just had a great season for us, I'd feel more resentful of his signing with the Yankees, but he struggled mightily with us and didn't fare much better in Chicago. He could have had more guaranteed money by going to Cleveland but he went with the one-year contract in NY, presumably to have a good season and boost his earning potential for '14. Personally, I think he's gonna lay an egg in the Big Apple, and he'll regret not signing with Cleveland.

    $10M??? It's just like your co-worker said. . . I could probably go through the motions, but my heart wouldn't be in it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd take the money. Nothing in the conditions that says I can't wink when I say I'm a Yankee fean.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
        Wow, talk about an indecent proposal! I'm glad you clarified yourself as an O's fan, otherwise I'd think you were a sadistic Yankee fan (is there another kind?). But let's clarify something. Yes, Boggs and Damon signed with the Yankees after successful stints in Boston. Boggs didn't bother me all that much, 'cause at the time the Yankees weren't really any better than the Red Sox. Of course, that changed in 1996 and that shot of him on the police horse is iconic. I guess time has healed me with that one 'cause it doesn't bother me that much. Damon, OTOH, pissed me off royally, mostly 'cause he flat-out lied to the fans. This is what he said in May of 2005--"There’s no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard,” Damon said. “It’s definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It’s not what I need.” And we all know what happened that December!!! Clemens? He signed with the Blue Jays and was traded to the Yanks after two Cy Youngs in Toronto, so while I loathed him while he was in pinstripes, he went there via trade.

        If Youk just had a great season for us, I'd feel more resentful of his signing with the Yankees, but he struggled mightily with us and didn't fare much better in Chicago. He could have had more guaranteed money by going to Cleveland but he went with the one-year contract in NY, presumably to have a good season and boost his earning potential for '14. Personally, I think he's gonna lay an egg in the Big Apple, and he'll regret not signing with Cleveland.

        $10M??? It's just like your co-worker said. . . I could probably go through the motions, but my heart wouldn't be in it.
        Indecent proposal...love that. A co-worker of mine said the same thing.

        You are correct that Clemens was traded to the Yankees...my bad. Although, I would think at that point Clemens could stop a trade if he wanted to. Damon, of course, is a different story.

        The thing is, I can't think of any players who became established with the Yankees and then went to the Red Sox. Mike Torrez is the only name that comes to mind.

        So you both could go through the motions for the right price. I think it's interesting that neither of you said...remember, we're talking ten million dollars here..."Heck yeah, bring me the pinstripes!"

        I love baseball!
        :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

        Comment


        • #5
          Dont mean to rain on you guys. But, since Youkilis played for the White Sox in between (after being traded). In a sense, doesnt that trade mean, in effect the Red Sox abandoned him? I do understand fan loyalty, just seems like a Youkilis shouldnt have a problem playing for a rival of a team who didnt want him anymore.


          Of course, I may be the one baseball fan in the world that neither loves nor hates the Yankees.
          Last edited by Death to Crawling Things; 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Death to Crawling Things View Post
            Dont mean to rain on you guys. But, since Youkilis played for the White Sox in between (after being traded). In a sense, doesnt that trade mean, in effect the Red Sox abandoned him? I do understand fan loyalty, just seems like a Youkilis shouldnt have a problem playing for a rival of a team who didnt want him anymore.

            Of course, I may be the one baseball fan in the world that neither loves nor hates the Yankees.
            That may all be true, but even so, does that mean that Red Sox fans no longer shared the love? I understand what you're saying, I'm just curious what a player thinks when going to the Yankees after so many years with the Red Sox. And wondering why one doesn't see it in the other direction as much.
            :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

            Comment


            • #7
              The only thing that would bother me about joining the Yankees to make enough money to be secure for life would be the mandatory Satanic rituals necessary to formally enter the dark side.

              I guess I could say a bunch of Hail Marys and things like that afterwards and be OK??
              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                The only thing that would bother me about joining the Yankees to make enough money to be secure for life would be the mandatory Satanic rituals necessary to formally enter the dark side.

                I guess I could say a bunch of Hail Marys and things like that afterwards and be OK??
                Well, that one is above my pay grade...I think you would have to consult your spiritual advisor on that.
                :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KurtDman24 View Post
                  Well, that one is above my pay grade...I think you would have to consult your spiritual advisor on that.
                  I went straight to the top and sent an email to Pope Francis about this. Sounds like a trip to the Vatican for a special blessing would be necessary.

                  My serious answer to the question is OF COURSE I could do all that for the money, and I'd probably even start to really like the Yanks knowing that they were indirectly responsible for my family's security. The caveat is that I'm not a lifelong Bosox fan, grew up with the Cubs and started to get really interested in the Bosox after buying "The Science of Hitting" in high school. But, for that money, I'd even follow a soccer team avidly (and call it football).
                  "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                    I went straight to the top and sent an email to Pope Francis about this. Sounds like a trip to the Vatican for a special blessing would be necessary.

                    My serious answer to the question is OF COURSE I could do all that for the money, and I'd probably even start to really like the Yanks knowing that they were indirectly responsible for my family's security. The caveat is that I'm not a lifelong Bosox fan, grew up with the Cubs and started to get really interested in the Bosox after buying "The Science of Hitting" in high school. But, for that money, I'd even follow a soccer team avidly (and call it football).
                    Not discounting your answer, but since you grew up with the Cubs and were a die hard, could you switch over to the Cardinals? Or White Sox?
                    :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X