Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, Wade...you lost that right/honor on 12/15/92...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Don't the Sox have something of an unofficial policy of not retiring any player's number unless and until he makes the Cooperstown HOF? I thought that was why it took so long for Rice to have his up there. That would preclude Clemens.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    I've always heard Wade's named pronounced "Bahgs", but am wondering if that is due to a New England influence.
    Doesn't something like "Bawgs" make more sense?
    Guess I knew a guy named Hobbs in TX and he pronounced it more like "Hahbs", though...

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    About time. Red Sox are going to retire Boggs' number 26 early this season:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/160158...e-boggs-number

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Wade got his number retired...

Rumor has it that the old Devil Rays owner offered Boggs $1 million for his Hall of Fame plaque to wear their cap.

I'd bet that the new owners would pay at least that much in hush money for him to not complain while they unretired #12 and scrubbed that last bit of tackiness from their history.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    I don't know. I understand that it was a shock for Boggs to leave Boston for their biggest rival, but It's been 14 years since Boggs retired and 21 years since he left the Red Sox. Maybe Red Sox Nation should lighten up on him after all this time.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    Foxx only had 6 full seasons with the Bosox...I say Clemens' number should just be abandoned, not formally retired. Don't sully the backs of any future players with a dirty number.
    The "dirty number" comment reminds me of this team-issued Mets jersey on sale in the team store... it's a shirt with a story...

(Photo taken September 23, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

The official Major League Baseball hologram number affixed to this jersey (LH439627) only identifies it as "NEW YORK METS HOME WHITE JERSEY," authentication session date 10/15/10. I've identified this jersey as being issued to pitcher Sean Green based on a 3/31/09 New York Daily News article: "Reliever Sean Green was assigned No. 48 by the Mets after arriving in a trade from the Mariners, since his former No. 54 was already worn by bullpen catcher Dave Racaniello. But Green has learned that Aaron Heilman wore No. 48 as a Met. So [he] resolved to swap his number for anything else by Opening Day, rather than place an added bull's-eye on his back with comparisons to Heilman if he has any early struggles." (Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz27Vy1t7aX)

Leave a comment:

• SDL
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    Foxx only had 6 full seasons with the Bosox...I say Clemens' number should just be abandoned, not formally retired. Don't sully the backs of any future players with a dirty number.
    Nobody has worn 21 since Clemens cried his way out of Boston. I had thought they would've given it to Beckett (who wore it with the Marlins) but it never happened.

Retire #21? Do it for Ray Culp. He deserves it more than Clemens.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Wow. You mean the Sox still haven't retired number 3 to honor Jimmie Foxx? I guess because he went and played for half a dozen teams after the Sox? Yet Fisk gets his #27 retired. And Clemens, who won more than 1 with NY, hasn't had his #21 handed out to futility players and bushers. Retire 21 and 26. And for God's sake put The Beast's number up there too!

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Wow. You mean the Sox still haven't retired number 3 to honor Jimmie Foxx? I guess because he went and played for half a dozen teams after the Sox? Yet Fisk gets his #27 retired. And Clemens, who won more than 1 with NY, hasn't had his #21 handed out to futility players and bushers. Retire 21 and 26. And for God's sake put The Beast's number up there too!

Leave a comment:

• SDL
    replied
    Retire #25 for Tony C, #3 for Jimmie Foxx and #7 for Dom DiMaggio. THEY deserve it.

If Boggs had never gone to NY, played those years with us and then went to the Devil Rays to retire at "home," I'd have no problem with us retiring #26. He went to NY. Sorry, but that was the deal-breaker.

Leave a comment:

• 9&10
    replied
    I don't care much either way, but the one thing that bothers me about this is that it's coming from Boggs, not from some grass-roots campaign to get his number retired.

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    It's really difficult to believe anything Boggs says. Does anyone really believe that Mrs. Yawkey would throw 5 mill per year for 7 years to a 34-year-old coming off his worst season to date?

Leave a comment:

• SDL
    started a topic Sorry, Wade...you lost that right/honor on 12/15/92...

Sorry, Wade...you lost that right/honor on 12/15/92...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...o3I/story.html

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X