Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenway Park distances

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fenway Park distances

    On the telecast on ESPN last night there was discussion of the foul line distances in Fenway Park. There seems to be a lot of opinion and no fact on this subject, so I did it myself.

    I went to two different mapping sites (Google maps and gmaps-pedometer.com) and measured the distance on the satellite view of Fenway Park. The two sites gave me different satellite views, at different times. One of them had home plate covered with a tarp, so I had to extrapolate the location of the plate from the foul lines, but the other view showed home plate clearly.

    The Left field foul pole, at the Green Monster, by both measurements, came out within a foot of 305 feet. The sign states that it is 310. I measured to Pesky Pole, down the Right field line, and got 297, also five feet short of the indicated 302.

    In both cases, I cleared the maps, refreshed, and measured again, marking the references as close as I could from the point of home plate to the surface of the wall.

    I cannot think of any reason to discount the accuracy of these measurements, and I invite other users to try similar experiments, and see what results you get.

  • #2
    307.1 to left google earth
    302.3 to right google earth

    Comment


    • #3
      I think they probably moved a bit when that big earthquake hit the East Coast and cracked the Washington Monument.




      ;^)
      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jtur88 View Post
        The Left field foul pole, at the Green Monster, by both measurements, came out within a foot of 305 feet. The sign states that it is 310. I measured to Pesky Pole, down the Right field line, and got 297, also five feet short of the indicated 302.

        In both cases, I cleared the maps, refreshed, and measured again, marking the references as close as I could from the point of home plate to the surface of the wall.

        I cannot think of any reason to discount the accuracy of these measurements, and I invite other users to try similar experiments, and see what results you get.
        LF has been measured (with a 100' measuring tape) to be 309', 3". Google Earth is great for estimating, but it's hard to measure exactly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ipitch View Post
          LF has been measured (with a 100' measuring tape) to be 309', 3". Google Earth is great for estimating, but it's hard to measure exactly.
          google earth is accurate -- try measuring any football or soccer field that can be found close to a ballpark.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by elmer View Post
            google earth is accurate -- try measuring any football or soccer field that can be found close to a ballpark.
            I didn't say it wasn't accurate. I said it's hard to measure exactly. That's why you got 307.1, jtur88 got somewhere between 304 and 306, I got 307.9, and a tape measurement was 309', 3".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by elmer View Post
              google earth is accurate -- try measuring any football or soccer field that can be found close to a ballpark.
              How can you be sure that you're right at the corner of the plate on Google Earth, and that you're really at the base of the wall?
              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

              Comment


              • #8
                It isn't perfect but you can get close enough to know markings are wrong.
                the photos have shadows and perspective not allowing perfect viewing to measure.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X