2014/15 Red Sox Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014/15 Red Sox Offseason Thread

Is it the first time a team went from last to first to last? Either way, I prefer to shrug off this past season.

On the other hand, if this yo-yo pattern continues, the Sox'll finish first in 2015.
    Put it in the books.

thanks for starting this thread...never too early

I think the Sox will open the books a little this year and address the rotation. I look for two top end guys when we start the season to go along with what we have. The young guys should get a chance to round out the rotation after #3 Buchholz and contribute to the pen. This team needs more than a tweak and I am sure they will figure it out.

Comment

I feel they will go all out to sign Lester, and if that fails, sign a comparable starter. If they do sign Lester, will they be willing to fork out the same amount of money to get another top starter? I doubt it.

NY and Boston will probably be bidding against each other as both need pitching.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

According to SOSH and comments on redsox.com, Lester has his house up for sale in Massachusetts.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
          According to SOSH and comments on redsox.com, Lester has his house up for sale in Massachusetts.
          I really wonder if the front office will think it makes sense to pay Lester the big bucks while the team struggles to be competitive as the young players figure it out...I think they should be good again while Lester is still close to his prime, but do they want to pay him $20-30 million per to play maybe 2-3 seasons on 70ish win teams?
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
            I really wonder if the front office will think it makes sense to pay Lester the big bucks while the team struggles to be competitive as the young players figure it out...I think they should be good again while Lester is still close to his prime, but do they want to pay him $20-30 million per to play maybe 2-3 seasons on 70ish win teams?
            Do they consult Bill James and ask for his input? If they did that two years ago and acted on some of his recommendations, then let him crunch the numbers and see how he would use the money on hand.

I agree that they might not go all out to get him back. But they should at least ask him to let the Red Sox know what his best offer is so they can match it if they choose. I'm sure that must be in the Negotiating 101 textbook under "Tactics To Use When You Get In Over Your Head".

I will be surprised if the Yankees don't ask Ellsbury and Drew to contact him to convince him that the Evil Empire is the best place to be.

Comment

I feel they will go all out to sign Lester, and if that fails, sign a comparable starter. If they do sign Lester, will they be willing to fork out the same amount of money to get another top starter? I doubt it.

NY and Boston will probably be bidding against each other as both need pitching.
              The Yankees need offense more than they need pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
                The Yankees need offense more than they need pitching.
                But, they do LOVE to tick the Bosox off!!!
                ;^)
                I'm curious, I heard some whispers about the Yanks going for a luxury tax "reset" again in the next few seasons...didn't seem to me that it would be possible with all the money they shelled out for FAs last offseason and given that ARod is under contract through 2017.

Comment

They had their chance to hit the reset button this past season but then a picture name Tanaka came along and changed all that

Comment

kinda off topic...it is good to see that you don't need an all star at every position to advance in the playoffs. KC and StL advance. Dodgers and their "stacked" lineup got bounced. It is nice to see the Dodgers get knocked out and proves to me the Sox got rid of the players with no heart (Gonzo and Crawford). Cant wait until Crawford blames Boston somehow for this recent failure.

Comment

That could just be for tax purposes, in anticipation of the big contract he'll soon be signing. Florida (where I've heard he is shopping) doesn't have a state income tax, Taxachusetts is, well..
                      Check out my new autograph blog

Signed 1953 Topps Project: 102/274 (37.23%) complete

Comment

Originally posted by egri View Post
                        That could just be for tax purposes, in anticipation of the big contract he'll soon be signing. Florida (where I've heard he is shopping) doesn't have a state income tax, Taxachusetts is, well..
                        If I was leaning towards signing with the Red Sox I wouldn't put my house up for sale unless I needed a bigger house.

If I was his agent I can see advising him to put the house up for sale as a negotiating tool and making sure the Sox hear about it. And while you're at it book some trips to NY, LA, Florida, and Chicago to really get their attention.

I thought you don't pay any capital gains taxes on a sale of a house provided you purchase another home within a specified time? I think that is the federal law, but I have no idea how Mass. law handles it.

Comment

Carlos Gonzalez anyone? The Rockies will probably want a lot of talent in return, but i think he could be had for a little less than they want due to injuries the last 2 years. Could be the answer for a LH bat in the OF. I'm sure Ben will at least make the call. I have no interest in Tulo since he is injured more often that Gonzalez AND we are set at SS IMO. I can see the Yankees making a call for Tulo but i dont see anything in the Yankees farm that they could possibly want.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                            Carlos Gonzalez anyone? The Rockies will probably want a lot of talent in return, but i think he could be had for a little less than they want due to injuries the last 2 years. Could be the answer for a LH bat in the OF. I'm sure Ben will at least make the call. I have no interest in Tulo since he is injured more often that Gonzalez AND we are set at SS IMO. I can see the Yankees making a call for Tulo but i dont see anything in the Yankees farm that they could possibly want.
                            CarGo's career road OPS is .750 and he's slugged .601 in CO and .437 away...Fenway is also a nice place for a lefty to hit so his overall numbers might not fall all that much, but I don't see him as a super talented hitter who is worth giving away a bunch of prospects for. Tulo's injury history says "stay away" to me.
                            I'm hoping the Bosox don't worry too much about being competitive for the next couple of years and keep amassing/developing young talent in the hope of being competitive again later in the decade. I don't think they just have a few holes to fill to get back in the fray, and don't forget that Papi will be gone before long. I just hope Pedey's wrist surgery really helps him for next season...

Comment

I am taking a pass on Panda. sounds like too much money/years. I am willing to give Middlebrooks one more year at 3B. I would like Lester to be the top priority but it looks like the Cubs (and everyone else)are in on him. I don't want Shields or Hamels. I hope Bradley Jr. can produce at the plate a little because I like his D in CF and as a possible RF.

man, I love the off season!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X