Wendell Kim, Don Bryant and Jack Lee, former Red Sox figures, pass away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendell Kim, Don Bryant and Jack Lee, former Red Sox figures, pass away

Wendell Kim coached for the Red Sox from 1997 to 2000.

When he coached third base for the Chicago Cubs from 2003-04, Wendell Kim made a practice of making himself available to the media if he ever screwed up. One time, after the Cubs failed to score and later lost to the Cardinals after Kim unsuccessfully waved home a gimpy Aramis Ramirez, he told reporters: "I felt I let the city of Chicago down."

The Cubs fired Kim at the end of the 2004 season. It was his final coaching stop in the majors after also working for the Giants, Red Sox, Brewers and Expos.

Kim died Sunday at the age of 64, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. No cause of death was given, but Kim had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers, a rare form of the disease that strikes before age 65, not long after he stopped coaching. He left a wife, Natasha Kim, along with a son, daughter-in-law and grandson.
    Read more:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...kim-dies-at-64

______

Don Bryant coached for the Red Sox from 1974 to 1976.

Don “Bear” Bryant, who was a bullpen coach for the 1975 Red Sox team that won the American League pennant, passed away last Thursday in Gainesville, Florida, the team announced Wednesday. He was 73.

Bryant, a former major league catcher best known for catching Don Wilson’s no-hitter for the Astros against the Reds in 1969, spent his final three seasons in the Sox’ minor league system. He was a player/coach for Triple-A Pawtucket under manager Darrell Johnson in 1973, and when Johnson was promoted to manager in Boston in 1974, Bryant followed him.
    Read more:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...nt-dead-at-73/

Jack Lee scouted for the Red Sox. He died in 2013, but his death was not reported in this forum.

Kenneth E. "Jack" Lee, 81, left this earth to join his heavenly family June 17, 2013. ...

He was a gifted athlete in school and was signed by the Boston Braves baseball organization right out of high school. He later went on to play for the Phillies and Yankees organizations as well.

While pitching for the Gems in the summer of 1951, he was heckled by a beautiful brunette in the stands named Myra Lien. Surprisingly, the two struck up a fast friendship that led to love and they married in September 1953.

Jack's baseball career was interrupted when he was drafted during the Korean War. After serving in the U.S. Airforce for four years, he returned to play baseball. Their first daughter Karen was born in 1957. When their youngest daughter Linda was born in 1960, he hung up his glove and went to work in retail management so he could spend more time with his family.

After many years of moving his "girls" around Oregon as a manager for Pay Less Drug Stores, he retired from retail and was called back into baseball by his "old friends in the game." He became a regional scout for the Boston Red Sox for many years and was named scout of the year in 1993.
    Read more:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/her...?pid=165439568
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM.

I just cannot believe that Wendell Kim has passed away...he was with the Bosox so recently and looked so young then. Kim was perhaps a bit too optimistic to be a great third base coach, but he was a stand up guy and the players seemed to think the world of him. I joined a 40U baseball team while I was also coaching my daughter in 10U softball, and I sent two guys on my team to get absolutely nailed at home in our first inning of play...I was so used to the throw never even making it close to home in softball that I just waved everybody in. Of course, my new teammates started calling me "Wendell Kim".
    Read some of the article about his illness and it is so sad...condolences to his family and friends.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X