New Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rules

Any opinions on the new rules and specifically Papi's comments today on them? I haven't always been on the same page with him over the years but I think this time he is right on. I can buy into his logic that hitters will not step out only to focus the camera on them or stall the game but more to collect their thoughts before the next pitch. After all, it still is regarded as "the thinking man's game" is it not? This site is impressively diverse in its content. Does anyone know if there is a specific area that give the names of this "rules committee"? It would be interesting to see if any former players are on it or just a collections of people who have never laced them up and think they know the intracacies of the game. I actually hope this time that a high percentage of hitters follow his lead and get his back on this one. He makes a valid point without doing it that if it's offense that they want in the game that this can possibly be detrimental to accomplishing that.

Even someone that has never "laced them up" can plainly see that hitters don't have to leave the batter's box, since plenty of hitters don't. Yes, they do want more offense, but they also want to speed up the game. Ortiz can still collect his thoughts - he'll just have to do it with a foot in the box. He's got all of Spring Training to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
      Even someone that has never "laced them up" can plainly see that hitters don't have to leave the batter's box, since plenty of hitters don't. Yes, they do want more offense, but they also want to speed up the game. Ortiz can still collect his thoughts - he'll just have to do it with a foot in the box. He's got all of Spring Training to get used to it.
      So if plenty of hitters already don't, is it really that important that the ones who choose to get penalized? Is that really a high % of players? I have really never paid that close of attention to it. Or especially the ones like Ortiz who have proved over many years that his style works for him? And wouldn't it follow that if they do manufacture rules in order to keep or build a specific audience (which by the way is the reasoning behind all of this) by the increasing of offense, wouldn't that increase in the offense only lengthen the game they are trying to shorten?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X