Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A
    Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    I'd rather have them get an ace on the good side of 30...someone like deGrom, Fernandez, Harvey, Cole, Gray, Walker, Snydegaard etc. And yes, I am aware that none of these guys will come cheap while Price only costs money. But Hanley and Panda also "only cost money", right? Now, Cole and Gray, we can likely forget and deGrom probably too. Harvey or Snydegaard may possible be available at the right price. And with the Marlins you never know. And there maybe other interesting guys around like Tijuan Walker or Archie Bradley, and probably some I don't even have on the radar. But then again, what makes a good front office is not to outbid everyone on Price (I could do that if Henry gave me his credit card), but to find the next Jake Arrieta...
    Problem with getting a guy like Harvey is that it costs a lot, I.e. 2-3 absolute top prospects ( top 100 in all MLB or top 3-5 organizational) or a young star player. Anyone wants a cost controlled ace and clubs don't like to part with them unless you severely overpay.

Harvey would probably cost either betts or bogearts and the Red Sox probably don't want to lose any of them.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
      A

Problem with getting a guy like Harvey is that it costs a lot, I.e. 2-3 absolute top prospects ( top 100 in all MLB or top 3-5 organizational) or a young star player. Anyone wants a cost controlled ace and clubs don't like to part with them unless you severely overpay.

Harvey would probably cost either betts or bogearts and the Red Sox probably don't want to lose any of them.
      Never said any of them would come cheap. I wouldn't want to give up Bogaerts. I would trade Betts or Bradley for a Cole or deGrom in a heartbeat. Harvey's trade value looks to be a bit down with a not so great season and and now some tension with the organization. The Mets loose Cespedes after the season so will look at OFers. Would Rusney+Owens do the trick? Would we want that? Is it better than signing Price to a 10/300 contract and be handcuffed by 3 monster contracts...
      Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 10-11-2015, 07:10 AM.
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• I guess the word now is that Hanley is supposed to show up at spring training with a first baseman's mitt?
        Hopefully that will limit the damage that he can do on defense...he better at least put in some sort of effort there or Bosox fans are going to be arming themselves with D batteries when they sit down the 1B line at Fenway.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
          Like with everything since DD has been hired, I think this too warrants a little more clarity before we should pass judgement. If the chain of command is strictly Wren->Hazen->DD that's ok. Will Wren, who has a decent enough rep of evaluating major league talent (something it seems Cherrington was lacking), replace Baird? Will this signing preclude the organisation from giving Dipoto an (acceptable) full-time position (DD said he would love to keep Dipoto around on a full-time basis)? Who will leave the organisation? Is Romero staying (and promoted)?
          Romero was promoted to VP of international scouting. Good. From what I read and hear he deserves a lot of credit for turning the international scouting around and had a hand in the signings of Moncada and a lot of others. Glad he, along with many others of the FO, stay on board. So far there is fairly little that DD did wrong. Let's see how the offseason goes...
          Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X