X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    do you think the red sox are making a big move for a pitcher? the offense is great but the SP a Little thin behind Price and wright.

I think they will definitely make a move but will it be a big one? the red sox probably don't want to give up moncada and benitendi.
    Wright has been a godsend and should make the all star team and Price has pitched much better of late. Porcello is a solid 3rd starter but ERod is still finding his way and coming back from injury doesnt help his cause. We dont have a 5th starter. The most coveted pitcher will be Julio Teheran I think. His age, abiltiy and contract will make him very desireable to not only the Sox but to several teams and he wont come cheap if you are the Braves. If Boston becomes a player in the starter market, we know they are all in. If not.........
    Has anyone noticed that ever since JBJ was moved up in the lineup that scoring runs has been more difficult? For the 2-3 times a game that Betts and him hit back to back it seems to have caused problems. Also Hanley is underachieving once again. It wasnt as noticeable when he was hitting .330 but now that he has dipped 40 points, it is. I looks like he cant catch up to fastballs anymore to me and his contact on them turn to either weak ground balls or warning track outs. I think if I ran the show that I would bat Young 5th and drop him to 7th and hit Shaw in between them and move JBJ back to 9th at least to shake things up.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    do you think the red sox are making a big move for a pitcher? the offense is great but the SP a Little thin behind Price and wright.

I think they will definitely make a move but will it be a big one? the red sox probably don't want to give up moncada and benitendi.

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    Boston took groome in the draft who is considered the best talent overall. However he is also said to ask for 4-5 millions or going to juco if he doesn't get it. Can he be signed?
    From all indications, it's a match made in heaven for Groome. He's a Jersey kid who despite growing up in a rabid Yankee household, has been an avid Sox fan his whole life. Many of the "experts" thought he would go as low as 4 or 5 but teams were scared away by some "off field activities" that many feel were just minor growing pains. I havent bothered to look further and dont really care. At 17, you learn as you go. Throwing 93-95 from the southside with command and what is described as a "Kershaw like curve ball" that is major league ready right now to me overrides most juvenile behavior issues. AND....if the team you loves drafts you, that can change your life around in the wink of an eye.
    If the Sox think they truly stole him, I wouldnt be surprised to see him get paid if for no other reason to keep him OUT of JUCO and supervise him.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Boston took groome in the draft who is considered the best talent overall. However he is also said to ask for 4-5 millions or going to juco if he doesn't get it. Can he be signed?

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    David Wright has to get some votes for MVP of the Red Sox staff to date for sure. That guy has manned up from the get go when ERod went down, Clay failed miserably, Porcello and Price struggled and Kelly got hurt. He has been the one constant on the mound so far. I'd hate Hannigan's job but hats off to Wright so far this year!

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    I agree. At this stage of his career he may be better suited to middle/long relief than starting.

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Well, after butchering save opportunities in the last three games in Canada, it was nice to see a W go up. I have to admit being very apprehensive when Buchholtz got the call in the pen. He hasnt exactly thrived for the last year or so in any capacity, but he's a long time Red Sox and gets a sympathy vote for what he's done. I think it was the right move for Farrell to make. Price and Porcello have been solid, Wright has pitched well and with ERod on his way back, Kelly is a better bet for the 5th spot IMO. Who knows? It may serve Clay well. Possibly it could have been a mental thing knowing he was expected to get them to a least the seventh inning. It's not like his body type is conducive to that task. Maybe knowing he will only be counted on for short outings will focus his abilites better. I wish him well.

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    I have great respect and much admiration for Joltin' Joe, but I think it would be much harder now to put together anything close to 56. Even in 1941, I've always been much more impressed with what Ted did that year and thought he should have been the MVP. JBJ had a very nice streak, especially considering what he was just a year ago. It was fun to watch but I think somewhat overlooked with the Red Sox offense as a whole being so awesome this year. But Jackie had what I would call a 'quality' streak. He didn't get just a single in a lot of those games. If I'm not mistaken, he hit close to, if not over, .400 and was a big run producer. That's impressive!

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Interesting.....I'm not much on the over abundance of stats that choke you to death, but I heard something last night that got my attention. When Joltin' Joe finished his 56 game hitting streak, he had faced 54 pitchers. After JBJ reached 29 last night, he has already faced 63!!! That's how drastically the game has changed and the main reason why that record will probably always stand.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    2016 rookie roundup: What are your thoughts on rookies Pat Light, William Cuevas and Marco Hernandez?

Leave a comment:

• TEDDY_BALLGAME
    replied
    BTW His velocity was down in his last month last season with Seattle..That's not a red flag??

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Great. Carson Smith is scheduled for Tommy John on Tuesday. He only got to pitch 2 2/3 innings for Boston this year. So now what do they do if/when ERod comes back? Either Wright or Joe Kelly would have been the obvious choice had not each of them perform very well as a starter....at least judging from Kelly's last outing. I doubt they would use Buchholtz in that role. If anything, he seems to take his main hammering early rather than later and that doesnt bode well in a long relief role. Matt Barnes has been decent, but they certainly will not go with six starters. Should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    I think, at least for myself, that what we all went through for a few years with JBJ has not let us buy completely into this success yet. If it continues throughout the season, it will be a huge relief that he wasn't packaged prematurely for a bag of peanuts. But only time will tell. Sometimes, the best moves you ever make are the moves you never make. In the meantime, I think I will just enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    I'm surprised that what Jackie Bradley is doing isn't getting as much attention as one would think. I know he was AL player of the week but still seems to be getting largely ignored by most of the national press. He's hit in 26 straight, has 8 HRs, 39 RBI and is hitting .341. But what is really amazing about his season thus far is that for the better part of three years, this guy was god awful and it looked like he wasn't going to make it in the big leagues. I think the only reason he hung around as long as he did was because of his speed and defense, but he got called up and sent down so much that he nearly wore out the highway between Boston and Pawtucket. He looked like he might have figured some things out when he was called back up last August but then he fell off some in Sept. And he got off to a slow start this year before catching fire and now, in this snapshot of the moment, looks like one of the best all around players in the game. We'll see if, and for how long, he can keep it up but this is a guy who has obviously put in a lot of hard work, made a lot of the right adjustments and its paying off big time. Plus he's a good character guy who is easy to pull for.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    started a topic Boston Red Sox 2016 season thread

Boston Red Sox 2016 season thread

Well, about a quarter of the way through the season and Craig Kimbrel is leading the league in saves, David Ortiz is hitting .306 with 10 home runs and a .639 slugging mark, Josh Rutledge has proven to be a gem, David Price is 6-1 despite an inflated ERA and Steven Wright looks like he might be this year's breakout player.

Could this be the year the Red Sox once again go deep into the playoffs?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X