2B: Bobby Doerr, Dustin Pedroia
    3B: Wade Boggs, Rico Petrocelli
    SS: Nomar Garciaparra, Joe Cronin
    LF: Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Rice
    CF: Tris Speaker
    RF: Dwight Evans
    SP: Roger Clemens, Cy Young, Pedro Martinez, Lefty Grove, Luis Tiant
    RP: Bob Stanley, Dick Radatz, Johnathan Papelbon, Tom Burgmeier, Dick Drago

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Red Sox players were together in their Red Sox prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be by far the best in baseball with a very good bullpen. The lineup would also be the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 125 wins should be possible.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Carlton Fisk, Jason Varitek
    1B: David Ortiz, Jimmie Foxx
    3B: Wade Boggs, Larry Gardner
    SS: Nomar Garciaparra, Rico Petrocelli

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Red Sox players were together in their Red Sox prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be by far the best in baseball with a very good bullpen. The lineup would also be the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 125 wins should be possible.
    Can't argue with that. Just trying to figure out how you get Williams, Yastrzemski and Rice in at the same time (you could add Manny Ramirez in left -- maybe he and Williams could share it. Together they might cover as much ground as Yaz by himself).

Also, how about Babe Ruth as a starting pitcher? In 6 years, the Babe went 89-46 (2.19 ERA; 125 ERA+) with the Sox. With no DH, he'd be a real asset -- even if Groves' 8 years were slightly better (105-62; 154 ERA+).
    Last edited by Mudge; 11-24-2016, 03:59 AM.
    Check us out at http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/i...50ac174cd8970f

Comment

Originally posted by Mudge View Post
      Can't argue with that. Just trying to figure out how you get Williams, Yastrzemski and Rice in at the same time (you could add Manny Ramirez in left -- maybe he and Williams could share it. Together they might cover as much ground as Yaz by himself).

Also, how about Babe Ruth as a starting pitcher? In 6 years, the Babe went 89-46 (2.19 ERA; 125 ERA+) with the Sox. With no DH, he'd be a real asset -- even if Groves' 8 years were slightly better (105-62; 154 ERA+).
      Yaz in center, Rice in right while giving Speaker & Evans a day off? If I was managing this team I may even play Yaz in right at least part time. The starting pitching might be the best of any all time franchise team.
      Location....San Diego

Comment

SP: Roger Clemens, Cy Young, Pedro Martinez, Lefty Grove, Luis Tiant.
        Grove belongs with the Athletics, not the Red Sox. He pitched more than 60% of his innings with Philadelphia and racked up about 2/3rds of his wins with them.

Comment

C: Carlton Fisk, Jason Varitek
          1B: David Ortiz, Jimmie Foxx
          3B: Wade Boggs, Larry Gardner
          SS: Nomar Garciaparra, Rico Petrocelli

Very good choices. Except I would have to add Babe Ruth in the rotation. Good job.

Fenway Park at Dusk LG.jpg
          Last edited by KenFougere; 11-28-2016, 04:58 PM.
          Ken Fougère

Comment

SS - Joe Cronin as backup to Nomar
            3B - move Petrocelli to backup Boggs instead of Nomar.
            Add Dom DiMaggio as backup outfielder.
            If Grove not eligible, replace with Mel Parnell - far drop from Grove but a decent pitcher and still gives you a lefty on the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
              SS - Joe Cronin as backup to Nomar
              3B - move Petrocelli to backup Boggs instead of Nomar.
              Add Dom DiMaggio as backup outfielder.
              If Grove not eligible, replace with Mel Parnell - far drop from Grove but a decent pitcher and still gives you a lefty on the staff.
              Now that is the kind of thinking that I like! So we have Cronin instead of Gardner basically? Interesting debate there. But Dom makes 26 players! No can do on that.
              Location....San Diego

Comment

So we have Cronin instead of Gardner basically? Interesting debate there. But Dom makes 26 players! No can do on that.
                Then kick off Varitek and use Foxx as emergency catcher.

Comment

Yaz in center, Rice in right while giving Speaker & Evans a day off? If I was managing this team I may even play Yaz in right at least part time. The starting pitching might be the best of any all time franchise team.
                  Why would you put Yaz anywhere but left at Fenway. Nobody played that wall like he did. If I were to move anyone, it would be Ted. Of course you do have the problem of wanting to keep Ted 's bat in the line-up.
                  27 World Championships
                  22 retired numbers
                  Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                  Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

Why would you put Yaz anywhere but left at Fenway. Nobody played that wall like he did. If I were to move anyone, it would be Ted. Of course you do have the problem of wanting to keep Ted 's bat in the line-up.
                    Yaz is the better player in the field, however it is tough to move Teddy Ballgame out of the line-up -unless you were allowed a DH. If each team were to choose their all time team, this starting pitching staff would still be the best in all of baseball -even without the Babe.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus1776 View Post

Yaz is the better player in the field, however it is tough to move Teddy Ballgame out of the line-up -unless you were allowed a DH. If each team were to choose their all time team, this starting pitching staff would still be the best in all of baseball -even without the Babe.
                      No argument on the pitching. Only a Grove could put up the numbers he did as a lefty in the southpaw graveyard that is Fenway park. Clemens, Martinez, and Young' s numbers speak for themself. You can put any Mickey mouse pitcher in the fifth spot and have a hard to match rotation. Tiant was not a Mickey mouse pitcher.
                      27 World Championships
                      22 retired numbers

Comment

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

No argument on the pitching. Only a Grove could put up the numbers he did as a lefty in the southpaw graveyard that is Fenway park. Clemens, Martinez, and Young' s numbers speak for themself. You can put any Mickey mouse pitcher in the fifth spot and have a hard to match rotation. Tiant was not a Mickey mouse pitcher.
                        Grove was unreal, possibly the best pitcher, period. He played his home games at Shibe Park and Fenway -both are hitters ball parks. I looked at his numbers at Griffith Stadium where his ERA was 2.71. Had he pitched for a team with a home field that favored pitchers, his numbers would probably be about 10-15% better. Of course Grove did have HOF catcher Mickey Cochrane behind the plate a lot.....I'm sure that helped as well.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus1776 View Post

Grove was unreal, possibly the best pitcher, period. He played his home games at Shibe Park and Fenway -both are hitters ball parks. I looked at his numbers at Griffith Stadium where his ERA was 2.71. Had he pitched for a team with a home field that favored pitchers, his numbers would probably be about 10-15% better. Of course Grove did have HOF catcher Mickey Cochrane behind the plate a lot.....I'm sure that helped as well.
                          Not only is Fenway a hitters park, but lefties always struggle there. Grove and Ruth were exceptions.
                          Ruth also had arguably the best defensive outfield ever assembled on one team for part of his time in Boston to help Chase down his mistakes. Even after Speaker left that was a pretty good outfield. Grove didn't have that luxury, making his numbers at Fenway more remarkable.
                          27 World Championships
                          22 retired numbers

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post

Grove belongs with the Athletics, not the Red Sox. He pitched more than 60% of his innings with Philadelphia and racked up about 2/3rds of his wins with them.
                            The way I read what he's doing, there is nothing wrong with having Grove on both teams. He is pitting these teams against other teams 2016 version. Grove wasn't on either team in 2016.
                            27 World Championships
                            22 retired numbers

Comment

Babe Ruth over Drago.

19th Century League Champion
                              1900s League Champion
                              1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
                              1950s League Champion
                              1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                              1960s League Division Winner
                              1970s League Champion
                              1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                              1980s League Champion