The Official 2005 White Sox Post Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainout
    Haven't the playoff rosters been released? I hear Brandon McCarthy got left off.
    That's gotta be a mistake.
    Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
    I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisox
      That's gotta be a mistake.
      Nope, confirmed. El Duque and Vizcaino are in, McCarthy is out. Geoff Blum and Willie Harris are in, Ross Gload is out.

Marte is of course in. You need 2 lefties in the pen.

Comment

When was this decided, and who made the decisions?
        I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by rainout
          Nope, confirmed. El Duque and Vizcaino are in, McCarthy is out. Geoff Blum and Willie Harris are in, Ross Gload is out.

Marte is of course in. You need 2 lefties in the pen.
          Are you serious? I'd take McCarthy over Viz any day of the week! He's got the freshest arm on the team and he's just a helluva lot better. I guess his inexperience is what did him in, which really is unfair IMO.

I also would've really liked to have seen Gload instead of Blum. Like I said Ross is the only Paulie backup we have and Blum is our 3rd string 3rd baseman. Ross is more clutch, IMO we just need Ross alot more than Blum.
          Once a Sox, always a Sox
          Here's to The Big Hurt, the best White Sox there ever was

Comment

Ok...nobody's apologizing for SoxSox. I see how it is now.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

To answer the questions here.Ozzie Guillen made out the playoff rosters,and was realeased this orning.

I was just as surprised,and disappointed as most of the Sox fans that McCarthy was left off the roster.I would have preferred Vizcaino to have been left off and McCarthy put on.I'm very comfortable with Marte pitching to only 1 or 2 batters if necessary.

McCarthy would have given us 2 solid men in long relief to get us to Cotts and Politte.The reasoning for McCarthy being left off the roster was that he threw 102 pitches in Cleveland yesterday,while El Duque was very solid in relief.

As for Gload/Blum,that was a togh one to call.Blum can fill in at all the INF positions if needed,although his bat is a liability(3 RBIs in 40 games while hitting .200),I really don't see him getting much playing time.

Willie Harris deserved to be on the roster.His speed and defense could be invaluable to the team.

As for changes made to the playoff roster,you can make changes to the rostar prior to the next round,or unless there's an injury.

Comment

!!!!

Originally posted by Mattingly
                Hello, White Sox fans. Y'all do try to win this matchup now, and continue the winning record! :gt
                Geez...Matt, do you ever go out in the sun? You know, outside, offline... this will be an interesting series. I'm not worried about the Sox players. I *am* worried about Francona. His decisions on who to play (not Millar, please), and when to pull the pitcher (too expletive late), well, I gotta lay in a supply of chocolate.
                Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Pitching Matchups

Here's how the puitching matchups will look like in the first 3 games of the series.

Game 1 @ Chicago- Matt Clement vs. Jose Contreras- 3:09pm,ESPN
                  Game 2 @ Chicago- David Wells vs. Mark Buehrle- 6:09pm,ESPN2
                  Game 3 @ Boston- Freddy Garcia vs. Tim Wakefield- 3:17pm,ESPN2

NOTE; In Chicago,WGN-TV(Channel 9) will carry the ESPN feed for those who do not have cable.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
                    Geez...Matt, do you ever go out in the sun? You know, outside, offline... this will be an interesting series. I'm not worried about the Sox players. I *am* worried about Francona. His decisions on who to play (not Millar, please), and when to pull the pitcher (too expletive late), well, I gotta lay in a supply of chocolate.
                    Why do I get the feeling that this is Boston West, all of a sudden?
                    I hope that's all.

Comment

Hm, good start.

Comment

OMG, I had something of a premonition the Podsednik would hit a home run during the postseason!

Comment

ALDS Game 1-White Sox 14,Red Sox 2

In thier first post season appearance since 2000,the White Sox electrified the crowd at US Cellular Field by clubbing an ALDS record 5 home runs en route to a 14-2 thrashing of the defending World Champion Boston Red Sox this afternoon.

The White Sox struck in the 1st when after leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik and later on Jermaine Dye was hit by pitches,Podsednik stole 3rd,and Paul Konerko broughtn him in on a groundout to 3B Bill Mueller to make it 1-0 Chisox.

Later in the inning,Aaron Rowand singled home Konerko for a 2-0 lead.Then the next batter AJ Pierzynski hit an opposite field blast off Red Sox starter Matt Clement to give the White Sox a 5-0 1st inning lead.

In the 3rd inning,Konerko hit the 2nd homer of the game for Chicago with a laser into the left field bullpen,making it a 6-0 game.

In the 4th inning,a couple of defensive miscues by the Sox led to 2 Boston runs.With Kevin millar at-bat,and runners on 2nd and 3rd,White Sox starter Jose Conteeras uncorked a wild pitch scoring Trot Nixon for Boston's 1st run,cutting the lead to 6-1.

Just a couple of, pitches later,Millar doubled scoring Jason Varitek to make it 6-2 Chicago.

But the White Sox would answer back in the bottom of the inning when Juan Uribe unloaded on Clemenat for a 2-run blast,scoring Pierzynski to make it an 8-2 White Sox lead.

But the Sox weren't done just yet.In the 6th,Uribe would drive home Aaron Rowand with an RBI single off reliever Jeremi Gonzalez to make it 9-2.Then came the big blow of the game.Scott Podsednik hit a 3-run homer into the right field sets,his 1st homer in a White Sox uniform,to officially make it a blowout at 12-2.

They would add 2 more in the 8th inning when AJ Pierzynski cranked out his 2nd homer of the game,setting an ALDS record for most homers hit by 1 team in a game,making it 13-2.Then later on,Willie Harris,pinch-hitting for Tadahito Iguchi,singled home Joe Crede for the 14-2 score.

September pitcher of the Month Jose Contreras(1-0) was spectacular in his 7 2/3 innings work,allowing 2 runs on 8 hits,walking no one and striking out 6 for the win,while keeping Ortiz and Ramirez in check for most of the game.

Matt Clement(0-1) took the loss for the Carmines,going only 3 1/3 innings,allowing 8 runs on 7 hits.

Manny was hitless in 4 at-bats today,while Big Papi was 2-4 in the game with a double.

For the Sox,Podsednik was 2-3 with a stolen base,a 3-run homer,and 2 runs scored.Pierzynski was 3-3 with 2 homers,4 RBIs,and 4 runs scored.Juan Uribe was 2-4 with 3RBIs and 2 runs scored.Paul Konerko was 1-4 with a homer,2 runs scored and 2 RBIs.

BOS 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0- 2 9 0
                          SOX 5 0 1 2 0 4 0 2 x- 14 11 1

WP- Jose Contreras(1-0)
                          LP- Matt Clement(0-1)

HR-SOX;Pierzynski 2,Konerko,Uribe,Podsednik

T- 2:56
                          Att- 40,717
                          Game time weather-Partly sunny,85 degrees.Wind 14mph,L to R

NOTES;This was the 1st home playoff win for the White Sox since Game 1 of the 1959 World Series.That was an 11-0 whitewash over the LA Dodgers.

AJ Pierzynski's 2 homers was the 1st time a Sox player had a multi-homer game since Ted Kluszewski belted 2 homers in Game 1 of the '59 Series.

Frank Thomas threw out the ceremonial 1st pitch proir to today's game to a thunderous ovation.

Contreras threw 100 pitches in his outing,70 of those were for strikes.

White Sox lead seres 1-0
                          Chisox73
                          Thunderstruck!
                          Last edited by Chisox73; 10-04-2005, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Hey guys. I aint been here inna while, due to my work down in the hurricane aftermath. But damn, today's game was SUH-WEET!!!!! 1 down, 10 to go. Things are looking good with Home Field throughout the entire post season. This season has been everything I hoped it would be and more. Anyone else get their Div Champ gear yet ?
                            Last year WHITE , this year WHITE !!!!!!!!!!!

2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE DID IT !!!!!, Its like a Dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We still love ya Frank !!!!!!!!

Comment

I almost you know what in my pants that game. The Boston Massacre just moved to Chicago. Good God what a beating. If Buerhle beats Wells, this series is over.
                              I hope that's all.

Comment

I'm just wondering. Are you doing anything special for the playoffs? I come from the state of hockey, so I'm growing my hair out. Anyone doing something similar?
                                I hope that's all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X