What did Hawk Harrelson do wrong in '86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Hawk Harrelson do wrong in '86

In 1986 when Hawk Harrelson was the General Manager of the White Sox, just what did he do besides firing Tony LaRussa that was so terribly wrong? He has gotten such a bad rap from White Sox fans for the last 16 years.
    "You can put it on the board.....YES!!"

He also depleted the farm system in '86.Hawk was the main selling point in the White Sox promotional campaign that season.(The Hawk Wants You!).Most Sox fans pretty much forgive Hawk for that season.As for LaRussa,Harrelson was not exactly a big fan of him.

The moral to the story is that if the GM is the main focus of your teams promotional campaign,your team is in trouble.
    Last edited by Chisox73; 12-24-2002, 03:19 PM.

Comment

about the Hawk?

Who were these minor leaguers that he got rid of that became stars.

I can think of trading Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon but he was a major leaguers when he did that trade. Any GM can and has made a bad trade. I remember some youngster that was suppose to be a great prospect that was sent to Texas but his arm gave out and he never did make it big.

That is why I'm asking what minor leaguers did he trade that went onto stardom? As for LaRussa I hated the move as well, but once again it is the same all over baseball when someone takes over they want to bring in their own people. I also liked Jim Fregosi and have a great respect for his baseball knowledge but ChiSox73...... you know you have to have the talent to win too.

Heck up until the Bartolo Colon trade, I think many White Sox fans would of rather had the Hawk than Kenny Williams as GM.

Comment

Let's try again

It's now going on 22 years later, can anybody answer the question and give some names?

Comment

Where are the White Sox fans, get out from under the rocks and let's talk baseball southside style...

Comment

Some research into the 1986 season shows a number of veteran signings that really make you want to say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!!?!?"
            Four that prove this point:
            • Steve Henderson
            • Jack Perconte
            • Steve Carlton
            • George Foster

Hawk apparently had a horrible work ethic, spending much of his time golfing instead of at the office.
            The trade mentioned before that he is deservedly maligned for was Bonilla for DeLeon. He also made the slew of trades with the Yankees that didn't amount to much in the end.
            Hawk may be unfairly maligned for two other things: The move of Fisk to Left Field, and the final eating of Julio Cruz's contract.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback.

I still don't think much of those pickups but afterall Steve Carlton and George Foster were brought in much later in the season if I remember correctly and I think he was in a position that he had to try somebody.

I will have to do some research to see who Perconte replaced at second base but in all fairness to any general manager who is working with a very restrictive budget you do need to allow for what a guy can go get and what he can't go after don't you?

As for "Juice" Cruz I will go along with you there and agree with the terrible contract extension that was given. To be honest with you I didn't realize Hawk did that one, and I will have to check that out also.

As for the Yankees deals I will look at them too and get back. I do think we have the advantage of looking back and playing "Monday Morning Quarterback" with past trades. He could of done better after the fact than before as anybody could don't you agree with that?

I hope we can continue this thread and have some others join in as well.

I do think that Hawk was attempting to be a little Bill Veeck and a little Charlie Finley at the same time. He had two pitching coaches one for starters and one for relievers, which I didn't think was too bad of an idea if you had the players and the '86 Sox weren't that solid in pitching anyway. Hawk brought in Alvin Dark, Moe Drabowski, and some others and the White Sox fans never have forgiven him for firing Tony LaRussa. However Hawk was no different then than any other general manager usually is when they bring in their own people. I often wondered what Roland Hemond would of been able to do if he could of had some money to work with and he would of kept Tony most likely.

Comment

Hi Automick,

Here is a in-depth analysis on Hawk's tenure as a GM you may appreciate. The blogger's stance is similar to yours, Harrelson's decisions weren't as bad as many have made them out to be.

http://blackbetsy.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_archive.html

Comment

Thanks JB

I don't know if you were the one who posted that thread but it hit my sentiments exactly. As for firing Tony LaRussa and hiring Jim Fregosi I can understand it too. Most new General Managers bring in their own manager when they take over so they are on the same page. As much as I liked Tony and still do, I can understand the move completely and I also believe that Fregosi was an excellent baseball man as well. Even Joe Torre didn't appear to be so smart in Atlanta and St. Louis until he got the Yankees job and finally had the horses to win and make him appear to be great.

If you wrote this thread it was excellent and well prepared and I appreciate your referring it to me as I enjoyed it very much. Thanks and keep those threads coming buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by James Baldwin View Post
                    Hi Automick,

Here is a in-depth analysis on Hawk's tenure as a GM you may appreciate. The blogger's stance is similar to yours, Harrelson's decisions weren't as bad as many have made them out to be.

Very interesting read about the Hawk tenure in 86. Makes me look totally different on the moves he made. I guess he really didn't do all that bad as our GM.

I still wish I knew what the differences Hawk and Larussa had with each other. I'm sure it had something to do with each others big ego's and thats how that story ended.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by James Baldwin View Post
                      Hi Automick,

Very good info for sure.

I mostly enjoyed reading about Jermaine Dye. It's nice to look back at what he accomplished with the White Sox and compare that to blog writing.

Sent from my iPhone
                      Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!
                      sigpic
                      I have had the pleasure of watching games at: Comiskey Park, Comiskey Park II, Wrigley Field, Jacobs Field, Municipal Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Miller Park, Yankee Stadium (The one and only), and Fenway Park.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X