White Sox all-time catcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Sox all-time catcher

Who should be the White Sox all-time catcher?

Carlton Fisk (1981-93)
    Ed Herrmann (1967-74)
    Sherm Lollar (1952-63)
    Ray Schalk (1912-28)
    Billy Sullivan (1901-14)
    Mike Tresh (1938-48)
    Carlton Fisk
    76.92%
    Ed Herrmann
    0.00%
    Sherm Lollar
    7.69%
    Ray Schalk
    10.26%
    Billy Sullivan
    0.00%
    Mike Tresh
    0.00%
    Other
    5.13%
    2016 World Series Champions

It's gotta be Pudge! One of the best catchers to ever play the game.

Comment

This was really tough. I went with Schalk, though. He lacks Fisk's power numbers, but was actually only 4 points lower in BA (.253 to .257) and actually had a slightly higher OBA. His slugging average is, of course, ridiculously lower than Fisk's though. In the end, Schalk's prowess behind the plate and on the basepaths made me go with him. Very tough call.

Comment

Fisk was undoubtably the team leadre during his tenure in Chicago.This man gave 100% to the game and wore the White Sox colors with class and dignity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
          This was really tough. I went with Schalk, though. He lacks Fisk's power numbers, but was actually only 4 points lower in BA (.253 to .257) and actually had a slightly higher OBA. His slugging average is, of course, ridiculously lower than Fisk's though. In the end, Schalk's prowess behind the plate and on the basepaths made me go with him. Very tough call.
          This is why I love these message boards...... hardly anything gets by somebody without them catching it.

Ray Schalk (this is the correct spelling it's wrong on the poll) was a marvelous catcher who worked behind the plate with little or no equipment as compared to what Carlton Fisk had at his ready.

I will never take anything away from Pudge and I will give it to him but just slightly (just a little bit different take than yours Commissioner) because I got to see him day in and day out.... and I know that his work ethic could of been second to none as I don't believe Ray Schalk or any other player in his time worked out his body the way Fisk did daily...... Pudge gets it...Schalk 2nd.
          "You can put it on the board.....YES!!"

Comment

I think we all hold something against Schalk for being in the Hall, which he obviously shouldn't be, but we often forget he was a marvelous catcher.

That being said, I chose Fisk.
            I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Collins
              I think we all hold something against Schalk for being in the Hall, which he obviously shouldn't be, but we often forget he was a marvelous catcher.
              I'd actually ahve to disagree with that statemenmt. Schalk does deserve to be in Cooperstown. His prowess behind the plate was lightyears ahead of others at his position.

Comment

I agree emphatically with the Commish. Schalk often gets a bad rap for being in the Hall, but between Buck Ewing and the flood of great catchers in the 20's and 30's (Dickey, Cochrane, Hartnett et al) there was no one better at his position. His offensive number are lower than what we would look for in a catcher, but that has much to do with his era. Catcher at that time was primarily a defensive position, just like shortstop for many decades after that. There's no doubt in my mind that Schalk belongs.

Now if you want to talk about a catcher who doesn't belong, let's talk Bresnahan. . .
                Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo
                  I agree emphatically with the Commish. Schalk often gets a bad rap for being in the Hall, but between Buck Ewing and the flood of great catchers in the 20's and 30's (Dickey, Cochrane, Hartnett et al) there was no one better at his position. His offensive number are lower than what we would look for in a catcher, but that has much to do with his era. Catcher at that time was primarily a defensive position, just like shortstop for many decades after that. There's no doubt in my mind that Schalk belongs.

Now if you want to talk about a catcher who doesn't belong, let's talk Bresnahan. . .
                  So who was your vote cast for? Which White Sox catcher did you select? Was it Ray Schalk or one of the others....... like seeing your opinions, but would like to see your vote as well. Thanks.
                  "You can put it on the board.....YES!!"

Comment

I'm bringing this old thing up again since we only got 10 votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                      I'm bringing this old thing up again since we only got 10 votes.
                      You like to dig deep, don't ya'!
                      Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                      I hope that's all.

Comment

I preferred Fisk by a nose over Lollar. Fisk ranks first in RCAA, OPS versus the league, and OWP.
                        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Chisox
                          You like to dig deep, don't ya'!
                          I just didn't get the response I wanted.

Comment

I definitely have to go with Pudge on this one.

Comment

Fisk all the way!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X