Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate History: The White Sox win the 1993 ALCS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate History: The White Sox win the 1993 ALCS.

Had the White Sox won the 1993 ALCS instead of the Blue Jays, what would that have been like? What would the 1993 World Series have look liked then?

Aaahhhh...this is in my wheelhouse!

That was a very old school White Sox team...pitching and defense. Jack McDowell, Jason Bere, Wilson Alvarez and Alex Fernandez were all very good starting pitchers that year, with Roberto Hernandez closing well in the pen, with Don Pall throwing as the best set up guy. Kirk McCaskill, a favorite, was bad that year, but I still love him for his disdain for the concept that Michael Jordan was a worthy MLBer.

The defense was extremely tight with Robin Ventura, Ron "Karko" Karkovice and "One Dog" Lance Johnson all near or at Gold Glove level. Ozzie Guillen had lost a step though after his injury the previous year.

Offensively we had Frank Thomas, at his peak hitting level, along with a big year from the "Rock" Tim Raines and Robin Ventura noteworthy also. However we had offensive zeroes with Joey Cora, Ozzie, George Bell and Karko. Lance Johnson had his best offensive White Sox year and Elllis Burks was solid.

Looking back, there is no way we matched up with the Blue Jays...our offense wasn't good enough. We were at league average in terms of runs scored, but that was misleading because Frank Thomas drove so much of it. The four offensive zeroes were easy outs, and we had too many 1-2-3 innings. While our pitching was lights out (usually), the better team won in the end. You can't normally win with such an unbalance offense. Too many lost PA's with that club.

26 years has given me some perspective that I didn't have at the time, but the offensive team won over our pitching. FT hit well, but couldn't carry us in the playoffs, with our substandard hitting not doing enough damage to the inferior Jays pitching. Both strengths were matched up...better Jays hitting outperformed better Sox pitching.
    Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

The main thing I remember about that ALCS - The Sox had Dan Pasqua in left field, and he was stinking up the place. His "teammate" Bo Jackson called him out in the press, saying the Sox were playing "one bat short". Of course Bo was the bat in question. So they benched Pasqua midway through the series, and played Jackson, who went 0-for-10 with six strikeouts the rest of the way.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        The main thing I remember about that ALCS - The Sox had Dan Pasqua in left field, and he was stinking up the place. His "teammate" Bo Jackson called him out in the press, saying the Sox were playing "one bat short". Of course Bo was the bat in question. So they benched Pasqua midway through the series, and played Jackson, who went 0-for-10 with six strikeouts the rest of the way.
        One of the most overrated baseball players, especially on the White Sox, whoever lived. He wasn't good at all...plus he was a poor teammate as you noted.

He didn't return for 1994, and it was no big loss. Wasn't even a small loss.
        Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

hard to win a series when three players combine to go 0-31 (Jackson, Pasqua, Karkovice).

"Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
            hard to win a series when three players combine to go 0-31 (Jackson, Pasqua, Karkovice).

The White Sox' offense consisted of Frank Thomas. Full stop.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X