Unrepentant Black Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrepentant Black Sox

i know Jackson and Weaver professed their innocence to their graves. I assume the other 6 went to their graves unrepentant?

Originally posted by Steelwheels View Post
    i know Jackson and Weaver professed their innocence to their graves. I assume the other 6 went to their graves unrepentant?
    If by "innocence" you're assertion is that these two protested that neither of them took actions, on the field or at the plate, to lose the ballgame, mayhaps. But Jackson accepted money in exchange for throwing the game and would later confess to helping fix the Series in court in front of the grand jury. Weaver never denied having guilty knowledge of the fix and was suspended (to my knowledge) for not squealing on his teammates earlier. Whether these two actively participated in the fix on the field during games isn't necessary for them to have been conspirators.

There's a lot of Black Sox fiction floating around that reminds me of the Ronald Reagan quote about people knowing so much that just isn't true. I highly recommend avoiding Eight Men Out like the plague - it's riddled with myths and errors - and checking out some of the more recent scholarship on the scandal.

I'm certain that, if you asked those men if they would do it again, they would probably all say "no, I wish I'd made a different decision", but that's regret, not repentance.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Yeah, I WAS referring to their contention that they played to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        If by "innocence" you're assertion is that these two protested that neither of them took actions, on the field or at the plate, to lose the ballgame, mayhaps. But Jackson accepted money in exchange for throwing the game and would later confess to helping fix the Series in court in front of the grand jury. Weaver never denied having guilty knowledge of the fix and was suspended (to my knowledge) for not squealing on his teammates earlier. Whether these two actively participated in the fix on the field during games isn't necessary for them to have been conspirators.

There's a lot of Black Sox fiction floating around that reminds me of the Ronald Reagan quote about people knowing so much that just isn't true. I highly recommend avoiding Eight Men Out like the plague - it's riddled with myths and errors - and checking out some of the more recent scholarship on the scandal.

I'm certain that, if you asked those men if they would do it again, they would probably all say "no, I wish I'd made a different decision", but that's regret, not repentance.
        It's been extremely shocking for me to learn just how inaccurate, even deceptive, Eight Men Out is, plus the movie based on the book. Unfortunately, only baseball history buffs know the true story.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

It's been extremely shocking for me to learn just how inaccurate, even deceptive, Eight Men Out is, plus the movie based on the book. Unfortunately, only baseball history buffs know the true story.
          Agreed. My original exposure was read Asinof's book after learning about Shoeless Joe from Field of Dreams. Later, I saw the movie, but I didn't explore the topic in depth until I was introduced to the late Gene "Two Finger" Carney. There have been several excellent volumes written about the scandal in the past 10 years or so and I would recommend to anyone to skip Eight Men Out in favor of the more recent, more factual accounts.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X