White Sox' hope to repeat in 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Sox' hope to repeat in 2006

White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen, left, with Cleveland Indians Manager Eric Wedge on Sunday.
    “I hope I don’t have to wait 88 years again,” Guillen said.

Retooled and Confident, White Sox Hope to Repeat
    CHICAGO, April 2 — The Chicago White Sox recently sent novelty cards to their fans commemorating their first World Series title in 88 years last October. But the cards also made it apparent that the White Sox are done celebrating and are focused on making it 2 for 89.

The front of the card depicted an unidentified pair of hands holding the World Series trophy aloft. The text read, "Grinder Ball, Rule #06: If at first you succeed, repeat." When fans opened the cards, they saw another shot of the trophy and the words, "New Year. Same Goal."

It is obvious what the first championship since 1917 has done for the White Sox. Decades of despair disappeared. In addition to being the defending champions, the retooled White Sox are confident champions. The White Sox are supposed to believe they can do it again, and they do.

"I hope I don't have to wait 88 years again," Manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I think we have a chance."

The White Sox played inspirational music Sunday night and showed highlights of their victory over the Houston Astros in the World Series to build the drama for the unveiling of the banner at U.S. Cellular Field.

When the final out was shown, white draping over a light stanchion in left-center field fell. A 2005 World Series banner was cheered as if it were a King Kong-sized Guillen.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X