Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisox73
    replied
    According to the White Sox Media Guide,Jose Contreras' birthday is listed as December 6,1971,which would make him 34.

It should be noted that Contreras has a no-trade clause in his contract through the 2007 season.

As for the team payroll this year,it's over $100 million for the 1st time in franchise history,and is the 4th highest payroll in MLB.Only the Yankees,Red Sox,and Angels have higher payolls.

For a list of how the 2006 salaries of the White Sox stack up,click here.

Leave a comment:

• SouthSideChamps05
    replied
    contreras

It's true, Jose Contreras birthday is unknown, and hes an estimated 34 years old. I think Contreras is really starting to become the extremely dominant pitcher he was in Cuba, and I think this is a pretty fair price. Remember that the White Sox have already sold out all season ticket plans, and are expected to hav a very high attendence record this year. But I really like McCarthy, and I really want him to have a starting spot. But then again, I dont want to give up any of the other starters. Williams had said McCarthy is untradeable, and is sticking with the Whitesox, and I know hes not going to stay in the bullpen. I really have no clue what Kenny or Ozzie have up their sleeves, because I really thought they were going to trade Jose this season.

Leave a comment:

• Zito75
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST
    $8-9M seems to be the established going rate for average innings-eater starters. The problem, of course, is that Contreras is 34 and has only had one season with 200+ IP's in the ML's. The signing has some risk, but at three years the length is not overly burdensome.
    I'd go as far to say that he's closer to 37-38 than 34. Some of the Latin ball players have shady birth records... No offense to anyone, it's a fact.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    $8-9M seems to be the established going rate for average innings-eater starters. The problem, of course, is that Contreras is 34 and has only had one season with 200+ IP's in the ML's. The signing has some risk, but at three years the length is not overly burdensome.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    started a topic The White Sox really messed up...

The White Sox really messed up...

http://wilkernator.blogspot.com/2006...e-mistake.html

MLB Notes: The White Sox made a huge mistake

Today the White Sox resigned veteran pitcher Jose Contreras to a 3-year $29 million contract extension.

The White Sox seriously overpaid for this guy. I don't think he's worth 8.5+ per season.
    His track record is hardly spectacular for a guy who's been around longer than most major-leaguers.

This signing, I guarantee you, will hurt the Sox chances of competing in the free-agent market for the next few years.

Now they have a very expensive rotation in Mark Buerhle, Javier Vazquez, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and now they add 29 million to this expensive rotation. It's worth noting that Jeremaine Dye has a nice big salary and that Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, A.J. Pierzynski and Tadahito Iguchi will round off all remaining chances the White Sox will have of competing in the free agent market.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X