"The Chicago WHAT Sox?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Chicago WHAT Sox?"

Tourist season is starting up in Chicago, and once again Michigan Avenue and downtown are full of little groups, Mom Dad & the Kids, all in brand new caps shirts jerseys etc showing their devotion to the Chicago .... Cubs. The Cubs, only and always. I've never seen them in Sox gear.

This isn't just a sentimental thing. There are sound financial reasons for developing and keeping a strong regional - even national - fan base.

Does anybody care about this?

In a word: Nope.

Comment

Personally and no offense to Iowa residents but i'm glad most of em are Cub fans. Busloads of Iowa fans in the Southside means trouble and only gives Bridgeport more of a black eye when anything bad happens to em.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I bet it does.

Comment

mmkay.

been wondering about this for a few years.

it wasn't the cubboonies who were going to be moved to Milwaukee or maybe New Orleans not that long ago for lack of support & revenue ...

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
            mmkay.

been wondering about this for a few years.

it wasn't the cubboonies who were going to be moved to Milwaukee or maybe New Orleans not that long ago for lack of support & revenue ...
            That was over 20 years ago. The Sox have outsold the Cubs in a few seasons since.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Actually the Milwaukee move was in the late 60's unless there was a different time they planned moving em there. Denver was another destination during Veecks last years and Florida was just a stunt to get the new stadium as far as I know.

Comment

Are the white sox still drawing FEWER fans then last year at home/while the losing cubs are drawing MORE fans then last year?

I'll have to check at baseball reference to see how the numbers stack up....I thought for sure with the white sox in contention, they'd draw better...

Comment

2012 Attendence:

Cubs---(47 games)---37428 per
                  White Sox---(49 games)---23816 per

The gap has been closing in the last few weeks, though.

Comment

Must be a really dull summer in Iowa if the Cubs are drawing more fans than they did last year. The Whitesox will pick up attendance but honestly I don't care if the Cubs outdraw the Sox as long as the Sox win. Goodluck to the Cubs and I hope they win someday because there alot of fans who want em too.

Also Bridgeport is actually safer than Wrigleyville so you can tell your Iowa buddys it's safe to come watch a game or two here. Just don't bring a busload of you guys. It might be fun to watch a first place team.

Comment

that is because you have to go to cubs games more often to see a win.
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Mix it up a bit. Don't pretend the 1980s didn't happen.
                        Attached Files
                        The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Gawd that 70s Sox logo was awful.
                          I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                          - Walt Whitman

Comment

The '76-'90 logo was so good, just so good. The '91-present one is cliche city. It's about fun and good times. Don't run from color. Love the country, red, white and blue!
                            The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
                              Love the country, red, white and blue!
                              Those 70s and 80s uniforms were uglier than the back end of a gorilla. I saw a fan poll last year of the top ten most ugly uniforms of all time and both Sox unis made the list.

I suppose even clown suits can be patriotic, eh?

bozo-the-clown-adult-costume.jpg

lhoyt.jpg
                              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X