Whitesox acquire Francisco Liriano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitesox acquire Francisco Liriano

Ouch is all I can say about this move. I dont see anything positive to this.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Our pitching coach Don Cooper did fix Jose Contreas, Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton and Gavin Floyd maybe he can do something for Liriano too. I suppose it's not a bad trade all we gave up was Eduardo Escobar a utility infielder and Pedro Hernandez a guy with potential but not very helpful this year. Plus it eats up some innings and having another Lefty might help Chris Sale with some more rest.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 07-28-2012, 10:50 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Time will tell...???????

Cooper does seem to have some wierd ability to fix pitchers.

Sent from my iPhone
      Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!
      sigpic
      I have had the pleasure of watching games at: Comiskey Park, Comiskey Park II, Wrigley Field, Jacobs Field, Municipal Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Miller Park, Yankee Stadium (The one and only), and Fenway Park.

Comment

Originally posted by 1983whitesox View Post
        Time will tell...???????

Cooper does seem to have some wierd ability to fix pitchers.

Sent from my iPhone
        Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!
        I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it would be something if he out pitches Grienke these last two months.

Comment

I think it's a great low-risk trade. I love Liriano's stuff. His problem (at least what I saw earlier this year) came when he started nibbling around corners. He doesn't have the history to get the calls that are close. He'd get in trouble, put a runner or two on base and his stretch wasn't as good as his windup. I think he's best when he attacks the hitters and then keeps them off-balance and once in a while gives up a long ball. A solo bomb is better than what can happen when you give free rides to hitters. He's shown a few times this year glimpses of what he once was. Maybe playing for a team that can give him a bit better run support will loosen him up a bit as well. It's not fun when you're on a team that can't score runs.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
            I think it's a great low-risk trade. I love Liriano's stuff. His problem (at least what I saw earlier this year) came when he started nibbling around corners. He doesn't have the history to get the calls that are close. He'd get in trouble, put a runner or two on base and his stretch wasn't as good as his windup. I think he's best when he attacks the hitters and then keeps them off-balance and once in a while gives up a long ball. A solo bomb is better than what can happen when you give free rides to hitters. He's shown a few times this year glimpses of what he once was. Maybe playing for a team that can give him a bit better run support will loosen him up a bit as well. It's not fun when you're on a team that can't score runs.
            Haven't seen Liriano pitch much the past few seasons. His rookie year he looked like the lefthanded coming of Juan Marichal, he was that good before his injury.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
              Haven't seen Liriano pitch much the past few seasons. His rookie year he looked like the lefthanded coming of Juan Marichal, he was that good before his injury.
              Agreed. His pitches were flat out sick. Sabean (San Fran's GM) was looking foolish considering Nathan became a premiere starter as well. Ya just never know how things end up.
              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                True he really didn't look to bad his first game here Tuesday. I'm actually glad they have him to give Chris Sale and Peavy a rest. Hopefully it works out because a 6 man rotation is kinda risky. It's not like the Sox are 10 games up. I'd say it's better than shutting Sale down after a innings limit too.

Comment

As a Twins' fan, I wasn't sad to see him go at all. He hasn't been the same since he had elbow surgery that kept him out for an entire year about 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                    As a Twins' fan, I wasn't sad to see him go at all. He hasn't been the same since he had elbow surgery that kept him out for an entire year about 5 years ago.
                    Maybe I'm too simplistic here, because I really don't crunch numbers like many do, but I think - looking at how well RHers hit the ball at Target, they should invest in RH pitchers to offset that. Sort of how the Yankees keep looking for LHPs to counter hitters going for the short porch. From its short time, Target doesn't seem to be a problem for RH hitters - home or away.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X