Now I'm ticked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm ticked...

The A's got Frank Thomas today for 500K. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if we can blow 600K last year on a guy who had one AB (Juan Gone), couldn't we risk 100K less on a right handed bat to platoon with BB at first. Please don't tell me that Eduardo Perez was a better option.
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Originally posted by sschirmer
    The A's got Frank Thomas today for 500K. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if we can blow 600K last year on a guy who had one AB (Juan Gone), couldn't we risk 100K less on a right handed bat to platoon with BB at first. Please don't tell me that Eduardo Perez was a better option.
    Maybe the Indians are feeling burned by the Juan Gonzalez deal that they are leery of making the same mistake again. However, for 500K, it's probably worth the gamble to get Thomas back (and I'm sure he'd love the chance to stick it to the ChiSox as much as possible by being on Cleveland).

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I did, however, see some highlights of him last year, wow, he runs like he's 100 years old. Maybe Shapiro saw that, and it scared him away.

Comment

but he hasnt even platooned at first for like 2 and half years, so yes perez is the better option because he can ply the field
        HEY! Cleveland! two words JOHN ELWAY! put that in your pipe and smoke it Browns fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Last of the Indian fans
          but he hasnt even platooned at first for like 2 and half years, so yes perez is the better option because he can ply the field
          I think Big Frank can ply first base as well as Eduardo. He's a hack.

Comment

Hell yes Perez is a better option. Thomas barely played last year and Perez has platooned. Thomas is terrible and injury prone. To my knowledge Perez is less injury prone and we all know the indians dont wanna get burned by injuries.
            Conceived by man, born a GOD . The Man, the Myth that is Pronk

Comment

Dude, read my post. They got him for 500K. There is no risk involved. At 500K, if he gets hurt, you fill out the insurance papers, and your ass is covered. It's a no brainer. I'd rather have Tony Perez than his kid. Dude's knocked around the bigs like a pinball, and couldn't play full time in TAMPA...I said TAMPA. Give me a break. Christ, Big hurt would be worth more as a hittig instructor than Eduardo will be on the field.

Comment

Dude, read my post. They got him for 500K. There is no risk involved. At 500K, if he gets hurt, you fill out the insurance papers, and your ass is covered. It's a no brainer. I'd rather have Tony Perez than his kid. Dude's knocked around the bigs like a pinball, and couldn't play full time in TAMPA...I said TAMPA. Give me a break. Christ, Big hurt would be worth more as a hittig instructor than Eduardo will be on the field.
                I gotta agree. In no world anywhere is Eduardo Perez a better option to have on your team than Frank Thomas for 500K.

If Thomas can stay healthy, that will be by far the steal of the offseason.

Of course...I was thinking the same thing last year about the Indians and Juan Gonzalez. So the health issue could be a big if.

Comment

Here's my stance, and the source of my frustration: The Tribe is looking for a righthanded bat, and someone who can platoon a bit at first. Obviously, with Frank signing for $500K, you know that Piazza, Sosa, Palmiero(though he's LH), etc, aren't going to command a lot of money. I just see Perez, after watching him in Cincinnati and other places over the years, as a basic hack.
                  Last edited by sschirmer; 01-27-2006, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Is Frank Thomas even capable of bending over to field a ground ball anymore? I agree that's next to nothing but he hardly fits at this point. There is no way he will do anything but DH for any team he would play on.
                    I believe it was Michelangelo who once said "Genius is Eternal Patience".....
                    I am a genius

www.bitterfans.com

Comment

Frank is a finely tuned athlete. He's spent years honing his fielding skills on the playgrounds of Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised if he closes out his career by winning five gold gloves in Oakland.

Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by pronk48
                        Hell yes Perez is a better option. Thomas barely played last year and Perez has platooned. Thomas is terrible and injury prone. To my knowledge Perez is less injury prone and we all know the indians dont wanna get burned by injuries.
                        I wouldn't say Frank Thomas is terrible. Despite his age, he still gets on base, which is very important. Give the guy 300 AB as a platoon player, and he'll give you 20 HR and a .360+ OBP.
                        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                        ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy
                          I wouldn't say Frank Thomas is terrible. Despite his age, he still gets on base, which is very important. Give the guy 300 AB as a platoon player, and he'll give you 20 HR and a .360+ OBP.

I'm with you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X