Cleveland Spiders!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland Spiders!

Should the MLB franchise in Cleveland change their name back to the Cleveland Spiders?

CfDgAE5UMAAC3bk.jpg
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

The Cleveland Indians have no connection to the Cleveland Spiders.

Comment

Yes, a defunct NL franchise that was an embarrassment to the city in its final all-time-worse MLB record 1899 season, would probably be their last choice.

Can think about the actual former names of this franchise, the Lake Shores, Bluebirds->Blues, and Naps.

1902 Bluebirds. Can shorten it to Blues like the early press did - and rock 'n' roll did start with the blues lol.

Wahoo-free.jpg

But it's blue, Cleveland looks odd in blue. Just keep the Indians name.
      Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
        Yes, a defunct NL franchise that was an embarrassment to the city in its final all-time-worse MLB record 1899 season, would probably be their last choice.

Can think about the actual former names of this franchise, the Lake Shores, Bluebirds->Blues, and Naps.

1902 Bluebirds. Can shorten it to Blues like the early press did - and rock 'n' roll did start with the blues lol.

[ATTACH]155197[/ATTACH]

But it's blue, Cleveland looks odd in blue. Just keep the Indians name.
        I think they would never go for "Bluebirds" with the Toronto Blue Jays also in the AL. It's just too similar. I personally hope they retain "Indians" forever and not give in to any pressure to change the name. If they DID change the name... I would hope they would hold a name-the-team contest as the Browns**, Cavaliers and longtime AHL hockey team the Barons all did, and use a fan vote on a final group of fan suggestions. This, as opposed to using marketing consultants and focus groups and the accompanying lame and contrived names that that path always seems to result in.

In fact... since the present Cleveland hockey team went the "marketing" route and came up with the horrendously bad name "Lake Erie Monsters" (about some mythical, never previously heard of by anyone in Cleveland ever, Lake Erie dwelling monster... SMH) instead of acquiring and using the time honored historic name "Barons".... If the Indians ever HAD to change, they could adopt that name instead. I'd be for that. A revival of the Blue and White... and our aristocratic monocle wearing Baron image too. Hopefully no Germans will complain he looks like he is winking or smiling...

** The Browns held a name the team contest in 1946. The name "Panthers" was chosen but a man named George Jones emerged and claimed rights to the name from a football team he had previously operated in Cleveland at the semi-pro level. Browns original owner Mickey McBride declined to pay Jones for the name and decided to name the team after his coach, Paul Brown, who was wildly popular in Ohio. Thankfully, the team won like crazy in it's early years and the name stuck forever. I wish the "new Browns" had adopted a different name as they have totally destroyed the winning tradition laid down by the "Original Browns" with their sad sack ways.
        Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 04-18-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

It's better than "Broncos" or "Naps". Grow the game. A lot of marketing potential with Spiders. MLB already had a cross promotion with the original Tobey Spiderman IIRC, and web gem would have a whole new meaning. Time to change the name and grow the game.
          The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
            It's better than "Broncos" or "Naps". Grow the game. A lot of marketing potential with Spiders. MLB already had a cross promotion with the original Tobey Spiderman IIRC, and web gem would have a whole new meaning. Time to change the name and grow the game.
            That would be awesome if Tobey Maguire would promote the Cleveland. But I don't think they would change their name for that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X