Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmorss9
    replied
    To answer a previously asked question, yes, Nemo's is still in business, in the same location on Michigan Avenue, and offers a shuttle to Wings and Lions games.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Here's a nice ESPN article on this:

A six-pack to go at Tiger Stadium's hallowed ground
    DETROIT -- The high-end club has everything any partygoer could want: flat screens, water fountains, go-go cages, a bed of roses and a high-flying trapeze artist.

But ignore the glitz and glamour and walk past the stage where rapper Snoop Dogg will perform Friday night; and on the other side of two sets of double doors, you'll find an overstuffed slice of American sports history.

There, directly in front of you less than eight feet away, is the old pitcher's mound. The dirt is wet and clumpy, the grass around it frail and thin. But, indeed, this is exactly where Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell and the rest of the 1984 Tigers mobbed Willie Hernandez to celebrate the World Series clincher. Indeed, this is exactly where Mark Fidrych talked to the ball, talked to himself and threw back all the balls that "had hits in them."

To your left, the slab of dirt that Hank Greenberg once owned. Behind that, the patch of grass where Al Kaline once roamed. And in front you, the ending point for 11,111 home-run trots through the stadium's 87-year life span.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 02-05-2006, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 64Cards
    replied
    Aw hell, it just needs a little TLC. Some paint, too.

It's amazing where weeds will grow. I was in the top row of the upper deck at Arrowhead for a Chiefs game and there were weeds growing in cracks in the concrete. The nations of the world could engage in thermo-nuclear war, wipe out civilization, but before long there would be weeds growing. Plus bugs.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by sschirmer
    The ol' girl isn't lookin' too good.

http://freepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...arams=Itemnr=2
    Ghosts of seasons past.

Leave a comment:

• sschirmer
    replied
    The ol' girl isn't lookin' too good.

http://freepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...arams=Itemnr=2

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    tiger stadium

Tiger stadium was in todays detroit free press in section F pages 1 & 8. in the photos they show a tree growing from a crack in the ground behind the tigers dugout on the 3rd base side.THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF TO SEE THIS IN THE PAPER. they take a photo of this but they cant pull the thing up and take it out.they also said that no one will be able to leave the tent inless they go outside to smoke.if i ever get in there again THE FIRST THING I WILL DO IS TAKE THAT TREE OUT myself.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by sschirmer
    Problem is, the downtown retail spaces are still going to be empty with posters in the windows. Detroit needs a real influx of cash, but the problem is, IMO, that all the ideas seem to be short sighted.
    I wonder what out-of-towners have thought/are going to think as they come upon Ford Field/Comerica/Fox Theater/State Theater/Hockey Town Cafe/ and then drive maybe a couple blocks north and see all the construction/building getting torn down, etc?
    Campus Maritius, etc. are all decked out. But go a couple blocks in either direction . . .

Leave a comment:

• sschirmer
    replied
    Problem is, the downtown retail spaces are still going to be empty with posters in the windows. Detroit needs a real influx of cash, but the problem is, IMO, that all the ideas seem to be short sighted.

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Now if only we could get the World Series to come to town, THEN Detroit's turnaround will be complete.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by 64Cards
    I have nothing against Detroit. [Well, the 68 WS did break my heart] Had a wonderful weekend visit there in June, 99 when the Cards were playing the Tigers in the final season at Tiger, had fun drinking with fans at Nemos, nice dinner in Greektown. But why in the world does the NFL think anyone wants to go to Detroit, Minneapolis or any other cold city in February? I know the Super Bowl ceased being an event Joe Sixpack could attend a long time ago, but why not keep the game played outside in locations like Miami, Tampa, LA or San Diego.

BTW, if the name of Detroit's newspaper is the "Free-Press" how come you have to pay for a copy of it?

Is Nemo's still around? Or did they move it by Kramerica Park?
    I know the Elwood was moved when they built Comerica. Not sure about Nemo's, though.
    Why does the NFL think anyone wants to go to Detroit for the Super Bowl? because it's the Super Bowl. And, believe me, they're there. I was in Detroit this past weekend to visit family. Oh, the parties . . .
    In three years, it'll be the NCAA Final Four. Ten years ago, no one could have even dreamed the city would have this many major events (Golf's U.S. Open in the posh suburbs, Super Bowl, Final Four and baseball's All Star Game.) in such a short period of time.

Leave a comment:

• sschirmer
    replied
    Originally posted by 64Cards

Okay, I know there has to be a "Finding Nemo's" joke in there somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• 64Cards
    replied
    I have nothing against Detroit. [Well, the 68 WS did break my heart] Had a wonderful weekend visit there in June, 99 when the Cards were playing the Tigers in the final season at Tiger, had fun drinking with fans at Nemos, nice dinner in Greektown. But why in the world does the NFL think anyone wants to go to Detroit, Minneapolis or any other cold city in February? I know the Super Bowl ceased being an event Joe Sixpack could attend a long time ago, but why not keep the game played outside in locations like Miami, Tampa, LA or San Diego.

BTW, if the name of Detroit's newspaper is the "Free-Press" how come you have to pay for a copy of it?

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    Is someone actually willing to pay that much to see 3 Doors Down, Tiger Stadium or not?
    The Doors, I would go for it. But when you walk 3 Doors Down, the quality of music seems to fall off dramatically.

Leave a comment:

• sschirmer
    replied
    It's Tiger Stadium man. Donald can do a complete run through, put together a full report for city council, gather his investors, and turn the "old girl" into something beautiful and civically useful.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    My head is killing me. Is someone actually willing to pay that much to see 3 Doors Down, Tiger Stadium or not?
    It's in a big tent, for crying out loud. I don't think you'll get a chance to look around the actual stadium.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X