Polo Grounds 1957 and Comerica Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polo Grounds 1957 and Comerica Park

I'm new to the forum, and have spent some time now reviewing some of the old posts. This looks like a great place overall. I'm a big Tigers fan, and a HUGE Tiger Stadium fan, and I have enjoyed the threads concerning the new and old ballparks.

I agree with many of the points made by Polo Grounds 1957 about the old stadium. What I can't understand, though, is the continuous use of the terms "dump", and "Comerica Sanitary Toilet Bowl Park". I don't really like the new stadium all that much, and really not at all compared to the "Corner", but I urge you to take in a game or two at Comerica Park. Then, if you think it's a dump, you can say so and your opinion will be justified and worth a lot more to the forum members.

The "dump" and "toilet bowl" statements are really unfortunate, because I think that they cause what otherwise might be interesting commentary to be unvaluable and irritating. Instead of coming across as "This guy really loves the corner", it comes out as "this guy is bitter and and has several dead horses in his back yard for beating". I hope that this isn't considered a flame; I just wanted to point out that we may be missing out on a lot of interesting conversation because it's being covered in crap.

We've all been trying that for ages.

Take one part bitterness and one part stubbornness and you get Donald.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by runningshoes53
      We've all been trying that for ages.

Take one part bitterness and one part stubbornness and you get Donald.
      I was a long time member of the tiger stadium fan club which was against the building of a new stadium for the tigers. the club was always on the news on tv and in the newspapers. there are still alot of bitter former club members towards this. it was a long and hard fought battle and to this day there are alot of people out there that just cant stand the dump next to ford field.(COMERICA PARK)I have seen all that i want to see of the stadium from seeing it from I-75 and watching the news on tv.
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by George & Al
        I'm new to the forum, and have spent some time now reviewing some of the old posts. This looks like a great place overall. I'm a big Tigers fan, and a HUGE Tiger Stadium fan, and I have enjoyed the threads concerning the new and old ballparks.

I agree with many of the points made by Polo Grounds 1957 about the old stadium. What I can't understand, though, is the continuous use of the terms "dump", and "Comerica Sanitary Toilet Bowl Park". I don't really like the new stadium all that much, and really not at all compared to the "Corner", but I urge you to take in a game or two at Comerica Park. Then, if you think it's a dump, you can say so and your opinion will be justified and worth a lot more to the forum members.

The "dump" and "toilet bowl" statements are really unfortunate, because I think that they cause what otherwise might be interesting commentary to be unvaluable and irritating. Instead of coming across as "This guy really loves the corner", it comes out as "this guy is bitter and and has several dead horses in his back yard for beating". I hope that this isn't considered a flame; I just wanted to point out that we may be missing out on a lot of interesting conversation because it's being covered in crap.
        God Bless you, but you're fighting a losing battle.
        I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
          God Bless you, but you're fighting a losing battle.
          Indeed, it's like trying to tell a rock to roll up the face of Mt. Rushmore.
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

If anyone had taken the "swan song tour" inside the bowels of Tiger Stadium, they would know it was time to put the old lady to bed. The visiters clubhouse and locker room was out-and-out tiny...and it was once used for NFL football!
            I'm only about 5'7" and my head was less than six inches below the cement ceiling of the tunnel leading out to the visitors dugout! I can only imagine the likes of Frank Howard or Mark McGwire walking out hunched over.
            Last edited by moldyoldie; 12-31-2005, 11:21 AM.

Comment

tiger stadium

Originally posted by moldyoldie
              If anyone had taken the "swan song tour" inside the bowels of Tiger Stadium, they would know it was time to put the old lady to bed. The visiters clubhouse and locker room was out-and-out tiny...and it was once used for NFL football!
              I'm only about 5'7" and my head was less than six inches below the cement ceiling of the tunnel leading out to the visitors dugout! I can only imagine the likes of Frank Howard or Mark McGwire walking out hunched over.
              I was on my share of tiger stadium tours and i say there was nothing wrong with the clubhouses at tiger stadium. granted they are not as big as the new stadiums of today. see you all at tiger stadium next month.

Comment

clubhouses

I have to agree that the clubhouses were a bit sub-par, but they aren't anything that couldn't have been renovated or flat-out rebuilt.

Comment

tiger stadium

Originally posted by George & Al
                  I have to agree that the clubhouses were a bit sub-par, but they aren't anything that couldn't have been renovated or flat-out rebuilt.
                  The tiger stadium fan clubs cochrane plan would have renovated and expanded both clubhouses along with concession areas also.i have seen the clubhouse in the tours and it was granted small considering the new ballparks of today but was in very good condition considering the age of tiger stadium.

Comment

It's too late to bring the Tigers back to Tiger Stadium, so I'd like to see the place turned into a state-of-the-art museum. I'd go there every summer with my kids and show them where I watched my first game. Perhaps they could build some office suites and shops inside it and use it to the city's advantage. It really would be a crying shame if they tore it down.
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by racosun
                      It's too late to bring the Tigers back to Tiger Stadium, so I'd like to see the place turned into a state-of-the-art museum. I'd go there every summer with my kids and show them where I watched my first game. Perhaps they could build some office suites and shops inside it and use it to the city's advantage. It really would be a crying shame if they tore it down.
                      I couldn't agree with you more. I just hope they can find an economically feasible solution.

Comment

My goodness, people. Let's put this old lady out her misery! There ain't no practical use for this aging hulk. Tear it down and build something for the community that will create some jobs, maybe a big box or two, or even a super-dupermarket.

Ever see what's become of the Michigan Central station? That's what Tiger Stadium will be like in a few years. The city doesn't need any more "fabulous ruins".
                        Last edited by moldyoldie; 01-16-2006, 03:21 PM.

Comment

After they tear her down, Donald will be posting things like, "The pile of bricks at the corner is still in fabulous shape. all we need to do is align them in their original configuration, and the park will be fine."

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                            After they tear her down, Donald will be posting things like, "The pile of bricks at the corner is still in fabulous shape. all we need to do is align them in their original configuration, and the park will be fine."
                            Hey, that sounds good to me. Save Tiger Stadium!

Comment

Wow, those two names are really close there.

Anyway, Donald's posts are what keeps this forum moving along. I do like to laugh every once in a while, too. He's really good for that.
                              I like cranberry sauce.

"The Babe was a great ballplayer, sure, but Ty Cobb was even greater. Babe could knock your brains out, but Cobb would drive you crazy." - Tris Speaker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X