bringing in some big name players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bringing in some big name players

Do you think the Tigers should try to bring in one or two big name players such as Ortiz, Guerrero, or Bartolo Colon? This may bring more fans to the park and maybe boost the other Tigers players winning spirits. Pudge has brought some back, but as of lately has been a disappointment.

The BIG problem is not too many players want to join a "loser" franchise unless you overpay them (like Pudge). Of course, sometimes the player wakes up and doesn't like playing for a loser and it causes more problems (like Pudge).
    Until the Tigers start winning with home grown talent, there won't be too many big stars who want to play here.

Comment

What about Ken Griffey Jr.? Bringing him to Detroit would be like an up-grade for him.

Comment

I'd take a pass on Griffey, but wouldn't mind bringing in a couple of his teammates such as Adam Dunn or Wily Mo Pena. If we were to bring in a top-shelf hitter, I'd prefer it be a third basemen or a left-fielder. Inge really is a super-sub, not an everyday 3B. Some are saying that the Tigers aren't all that satisfied with Inge's bat and are sort of looking for a replacement for him. With the fire sale in Florida nearing it's end, perhaps we could send our best prospects in return for Miguel Cabrera, who Florida said could be had for the right price. I'd even give them Verlander and perhaps Granderson, Thames or any other combo of young hitters. Cabrera is someone you should build a franchise around, and if he's available I think it would be worth it to give up the farm to bring him in.
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I would also like to see Miguel Cabrera in Detroit. This is a one time opportunity that Tigers should not lose out on.
          In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by RottenGazebo
            What about Ken Griffey Jr.? Bringing him to Detroit would be like an up-grade for him.
            Not really. Cincinnati is his home town. And he's a favorite of the owners, and a 10 and 5 player. It'll take more than he's worth to bring him here.
            Detroit has always been a sports city that loves its star players, though. The overall idea is a good one. It'd be a true test for Dave Dombrowski if he can land some of these upper echelon players in spite of taking a step back last year.
            I don't think the Tigers, or anybody else for that mater, will get Miguel Cabrera. He'll be a selling point for whichever city gets the Marlins.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Griffey is way too injury prone even if he would come here. Remember Juan Gonzales????
              He takes up too much salary space as well.

Comment

Trade Vs Free Agency

I'd rather see the Tigers trade for players vs find them on the market. DD has a better track record. I'm almost certain Kevin Millwod and Jeff Weaver will not be in a Deroit uniform anytime soon; however, Kevin Brown seems like the kind of free agent they like to go after. Anyone think Jarrodd Washburn is worthy? I like Pedro Astacio and especially, Jamey Wright who pitches well in Comerica. As far as relievers, is Octavio Dotel or Matt Mantei through?
                In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Fa's vs trades and home grown talent

Well, the pickens are a tad slim this season, and very over priced..I
                  certainly don't wanna see DD 'panic' and sign one of those guys, for
                  way too much long green..down the line, it just hurts the team..and
                  puts a limit on future deals etc...Jones and Rogers..are ok..both are
                  over priced..in my opinion..I'm leery about Rogers..especially at 41,
                  as father time can strike without warning..I would have preferred
                  a one year deal..for Kenny..but then again, he might have a lot left
                  in the tank..and win 15 games plus for Leyland..and help tutor some
                  of the younger lions of the staff..Winning attitude is sorely needed..
                  as it's really been A.W.O.L. since the early 1990's...I think DD should
                  have pursued a trade with the Marlins...even take a roll of the dice..
                  but then again, I'm sure DD and the staff, know more than the average
                  joe..so I'm ok with the choice of not giving up some of the future, in
                  going after Florida's recent fire sale..Burnett, was a over priced ripoff,
                  and the Tribe's Millwood, is another vastly overpriced hurler..we need
                  a third sacker badly...too back we couldn't get Glaus..as DB's are
                  shopping him around..again, it'll be nice if the farm at Erie & Toledo,
                  started sending us some stud players..especially at catcher and
                  3rd base..as well as pitching..after a few decades of being pretty
                  much dead ..our farm system, is finally starting to come back..and
                  most good teams build from within...unless you're the Yankees, and
                  just go out and spend like a drunken sailor...

Comment

I agree, skeletor. I'm glad that the Tigers didn't get caught up in the Burnett or BJ Ryan stakes. They are both decent players, but certainly not worth $100+ million over the next five years. Millwood is overrated, too. Again, he's a decent talent, but not worth the dollars he'll end up getting. Furcal is another big name that got immensly overpaid. Next year's FA crop is going to be infinitely better, and that'll cause the market prices to come down some too. Perhaps we can find a long-term catcher and third-sacker at that time. By then Verlander and Zumaya and Bonderman should be in full-force, and the farm system will be that much stronger.

The Free Press' Drew Sharp was very critical of the Tigers "lackadasical" attitude so far this off-season, which I strongly disagree with. He seemed quite perturbed that we couldn't snag Burnett or BJ Ryan or another strong bat. He's sooooo wrong. We managed to plug two glaring holes on the roster with aging-but-not-as-expensive FA's Jones and Rogers. That was very smart. We have a young stud closer gaining more experience in Toledo (Jason Karnuth, and possibly Mike Bumatay), as well as three or four quality young starters waiting in the wings (Verlander, Zumaya, Sleeth, Ledezma). By the time Jones and Rogers' contracts are up, the younger replacements should be ready, and we'll have the extra cash to plug other holes at that time. Sharp complains about the Tigers being "reckless" in years past with deals with Pudge and Ordonez, yet whines when we don't continue to overpay for sub-standard talent this year. He's off his rocker, and is simply fishing for any kind of story.
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I'd rather see the Tigers develop young "stars" from within the system; it was how they were able to win championships in the past and will be the only way for them to do it in the present environment. It may take awhile, but it would be the kind of team Tigers fans can embrace as their own. We don't need professional mercenaries, except perhaps as stopgaps and fill-ins.

Don't trade prime young talent!

Comment

3B from Toronto

Now that Toronto has traded for 1B Lyle Overbay and 3B Troy Glauss, they have Eric Hinske, Corey Koskie, and Shea Hillenbrand on the roster. I think any one of them are upgrades over Brandon Inge at 3B full time. The Tigers were hot for Koskie last year, will they go after a 3B this off season?

Comment

How about Todd Helton? He would be a good addition. He is DH, and Shelton is 1B.

Comment

Originally posted by RottenGazebo
                            How about Todd Helton? He would be a good addition. He is DH, and Shelton is 1B.
                            What happens with Dmitri and Pena? Helton's hitting stats are probably skewed by Coor's Field.

I might take a flyer on Koskie; if the price was right.

Comment

Todd Helton looks to be in slight decline and would likely cost Shelton. There's enough OF, 1B and DH on this team. 3B and RP appear to be the largest holes. Either way, this division is getting more competitive. Even KC is building a team.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X