We have to get rid of Pena!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have to get rid of Pena!

IMO, Pena is virtually the worst player on the Tiger's bench. Sure, he may have 25-30 homeruns in a full season. But he'll have a .200 BA doing it. We probably can't get any actual MLB players for him. So I think we should trade him for one or two good prospects.

There's still plenty of time to move Pena, but it's looking more and more like he'll be with us for the start of the next season. I'm sure DD tried very hard to move him or Da Meat Hook during the winter meetings, but with Young's huge contract and Pena's inconsistency he couldn't find any takers. The reason I know that he tried to shop them with no success (besides them both still being on the roster) is that DD came out and said that it is a real possibility that we'll go to ST with three 1B/DH-type players. Pena has been a prospect for quite some time now, and his luster has faded dramatically during his Tigers tenure. I'm sure DD was asking for more than Pena was worth, but he may change his tune as we get closer to ST. It would really be foolish to bring Shelton, Young AND Pena back to Detroit to start the season. I could see why we may want to keep all three through ST, perhaps seeing which two make it out the most healthy. I'm sure that all offers for DY came with the Tigers picking up part or most of his remaining salary, which DD most likely balked at.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

This coming season, the Tigers appear to have a better team than last year. I read that Jim Leyland will rotate the three-1B/DH type players; the IF, and the OF. There just isn't enough left handed hitters in this lineup to just donate Carlos Pena to a "contender".

1B/DH: Switch hitting Dmitre Young, left handed hitting Carlos Pena, and right handed hitting Chris Shelton.

IF: Brandon Inge, Carlos Guillen, Placido Polanco, and Omar Infante.

OF: Magglio Ordonez, Craig Monroe, Nook Loga, Curtis Granderson, and sometimes Infante.
      In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Keep Pena, Broom The "error" Playing Third, Inge Is A Fan Favorite, But Should Be Utility Player Of The Bench, Mabey Convert Carlos To Third????

Comment

Pena is our smoothest fielding first-baseman with proven left-handed power. I'm willing to give him another half-season at the most to prove his consistency. I'm not entirely sold on Shelton after just one partial season.

Comment

It's entirely possible that Pena could stick around for quite a few more years. With two years left on Pudge's deal, we have to look for a replacement somewhere, and we have two former catchers starting at the corner infield spots we could consider. I'd prefer to let Inge take over for Pudge, since he does know how to hit (unlike his earlier years) and he's a fantastic defensive backstop. Shelton went through the system as a catcher, so it's not like he's completely inadequate to play there. His bat is much bigger than Inge's, but I'd have to guess that his defensive abilities are not even close to equal. I like the idea of having a fearsome arm behind the plate to curb the opponent's stolen bases, so that's a big reason why I'd like to see Inge move over there. I think we should start prepping him now, giving him some starts when Pudge needs a day off. Then we could move Da Meat Hook over to 3B every now and then, and Shelton and Pena could share 1B and DH duties.

The more I look at it, we have a very versatile group of guys. Dmitri can play LF, 3B, and 1B; Infante plays SS and 2B; Guillen can play SS and 3B; Monroe can play any OF spot; Inge can play all IF positions including catcher, as well as a decent CF; and Granderson can play any OF spot. We also have the all-but-forgotten Marcus Thames, who we should probably move to get some value out of him. I think Jim Leyland can be creative and have some fun with this group. We've got decent defensive depth, quality bench hitters, and a few big boppers. We also have a few young power pitchers, with a couple more down on the farm. The local papers seem to be getting impatient with Dave Dombrowski, but I have to disagree. I think he's doing and has done a phenomenal job turning this ship around, and it would be a travesty if we let him get away before he's done. He knows how to put together championship-calibur teams from scratch, as he did twice with Florida.
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Da Meat Hook?

I like your scenario considering the team's versatility, but if Pena comes out of the gate slow again next season, I think he's toast. The fans wouldn't put up with it, and neither would Management.

As long as Pudge is healthy he'll be the catcher. If injury befalls him, and as much as I like Inge as a catcher, I cringe thinking about Dmitri handling the hot corner on a regular basis.h

I hope the team's versatility will serve it well. With Leyland at the helm, there's no reason not to expect it.

Comment

I agree with you about being wary of having DY playing full-time third base. I'm not sure if his bat is big enough to make up for his lack of mobility. He did tell Leyland that he's working his tail off (literally) this off-season to get into better shape, so that may help us if he does have to play third more often.

I thought we should have looked into acquiring a quality third-baseman so that Inge could be the super-sub he's meant to be, although I'm glad we passed on Troy Glaus. He's very injury-prone, aging, and really doesn't want to be here. He took less money to sign with Arizona, so you know he'd be an unhappy camper if he was traded here. It may make sense to move Guillen over to third to save some wear-and-tear on his knees. Infante is a decent hitter with good power for his position, and is pretty young. He could easily start for us on a daily basis at short, as he's done in the past. Thank goodness we didn't give a ton of money to Adrian Beltre too. I just don't think Inge is the permanent answer for us at the hot corner.

There's so many possibilities with this group that it's actually fun to be a Tiger fan again. We're beginning to see the light at the end of this very long tunnel, and I'm excited about this year's squad. Although I believe we still have at least another season before we really contend, we are getting closer, and at a much faster rate than I expected after the 119-loss debacle. Hopefully Pudge can lead us to the playoffs before he leaves, like he said he would when he took our money. I believe he will.

Comment

hinkse for pena please..

im a jays fan and watching Erik hinske is painfully. I will take Pena over our last years embarrassment for a first baseman. If i was a tigers fan i would be happy with a guy with at least potential

Comment

We have to get rid of Pena

Frist of all I'd like to say hi as this is my frist post here. If Guillen would want to move to 3b to save on his knees then the Tigers need to go out and get another good ss like Lugo. As far as Pena I say keep him. Get rid of no hit Infante and he scares me when ever he plays in the field DY. Pena is just to young to give up on yet and our best feilding frist baseman to. Give him one last shot and see what happens.

Comment

Was looking through the oldest posts available here for the Tigers..... This one, I have to admit, makes me smile.....

Everyone was looking to get rid of Carlos Pena. I can't help but wonder what he would have done had he stayed, compared the fabulous recent years with the Rays....

Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by ryors View Post
                        Was looking through the oldest posts available here for the Tigers..... This one, I have to admit, makes me smile.....

Everyone was looking to get rid of Carlos Pena. I can't help but wonder what he would have done had he stayed, compared the fabulous recent years with the Rays....

Your thoughts?
                        He's a good frist baseman.

Cabrera is better. Pena would be a good DH option, though.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Could we get this guy back please

Comment

Originally posted by DClutch View Post
                            Could we get this guy back please
                            To play where? He's probably be an upgrade over Guillen at DH, but it probably would not be worth the cost, considering how he's hit the last couple seasons. The Tigers don't need to keep adding payroll.

If he could play outfield regularly, it could be a good move.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

he could fall into Adam Dunn territory, where is low AVG and high strikeouts overshadows his actual production.

if the tigers had him I would stick him at 1B and put Miggy at DH and get rid of Guillen (if possible).
                              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X