Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers not yet in the Hall of Fame!

Let's try this again.
    I started a similar thread a while back. I was new and not specific enough I guess.

I am interested in knowing who you think is a Detroit Tiger that is not yet in the Hall but perhaps should be.

My immediate choices are Morris, Trammell, Whitaker, Lolich and Freehan.
    As I consider others I will add to my list.

Who do you think???
    1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

I think Willie "Don't call me Willie" Hernandez should be there. He had a fantastic career, and is a world champion.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by racosun
      I think Willie "Don't call me Willie" Hernandez should be there. He had a fantastic career, and is a world champion.
      Anyone who dumped water on Mitch "I'm almost as special as Rick Reilly" Albom deserves a spot.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
        Anyone who dumped water on Mitch "I'm almost as special as Rick Reilly" Albom deserves a spot.
        I like Mitch, he is a good guy. What do you have against Mitch.
        With a few more years under him, Mitch could win the Frick Award.
        1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

I really don't have anything against him personally (I've seen him in public quite a bit.). I think he writes about himself a bit too much, and has the tendency to put imself above his subject matter. He has been called out a few times for writing stuff that didn't happen, like people being certain places when they weren't.
          He's a fine writer. He's not the most ethical of journalists, but he's a fine writer.
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

As I wrote on the other thread; of all the ex-Tigers, I'd give the most consideration to Jack Morris for inclusion in the Hall of Fame. He was a winner everywhere he played!

The practice of dumping a bucket of ice water on an unsuspecting sportswriter in the lockerroom is boorish beyond belief; it only exemplifies the notion of the "dumb jock". A professional athlete is a citizen first, an athlete second. In the world of entertainment, one must remember that everyone's a critic.
            Last edited by moldyoldie; 03-05-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
              I really don't have anything against him personally (I've seen him in public quite a bit.). I think he writes about himself a bit too much, and has the tendency to put imself above his subject matter. He has been called out a few times for writing stuff that didn't happen, like people being certain places when they weren't.
              He's a fine writer. He's not the most ethical of journalists, but he's a fine writer.
              Isn't the term ethical journalist an oxymoron? Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
                Isn't the term ethical journalist an oxymoron? Brownie31
                For the most part. There are still some out there who aren't prone to sensationalism. Some.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I've been following the team since 1961. I do not feel any former Tiger players since 1961 deserve to be in the Hall except Kaline.

I have not listened to Mitch on WJR radio or read any of his Free Press newspaper articles since he was exposed as a liar. Once I lose the word-trust with a writer/talk show host, there's no sense in listening/reading them anymore.

The same goes for a few Kirk Gibson rumors that he will return to the Tigers TV broadcast booth. That will be the day I turn down the TV sound and listen to Dan & Jim on the radio instead. I cannot trust any of Kirk's player recommendations anymore - because I consider him as a failure as Tigers coach/instructor.

Had Tram had a little more range & more national TV exposure like Ozzie Smith did, He would of made it to Cooperstown. Morris fell just a little short in overall player stats & burned some bridges with the writers.

:atthepc
                  NostraFucious
                  Last edited by Damus/777; 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

My Unpopular Opinions

Jack Morris has over 250 Ws and nearly 2500 Ks but, the magic number is 300Ws and 3000 Ks unless you're a Cub. Actually, I think Hal Newhouser and Jim Bunning (Phillies-Tiger) have similar qualifications as Earl Whitehill, George Uhle, Hooks Dauss, George Mullin, and Mickey Lolich. They should all be in or all be out.

Rusty Staub had over 2700 Hits but, I don't think he's a HOF player. Whitaker-Trammell belong more than Tinker-Evers-Chance but, will likely not get any consideration. I don't think George Kell's numbers are good enough for enshrinement as a player only. That brings me to Al Kaline. His numbers seem only above average his 1st ten years and below average his remaining years. Certainly not someone I would call an elite player.

Its likely Mitch Album makes the Baseball HOF because writers have the vote and the media feel that they are more important than the players themselves. Generally, they are biased toward Cubs players. Does anyone think Ryne Sandberg was better than Lou Whitaker or Bruce Sutter better than Rich Gossage? I don't!
                    Last edited by HDH; 03-09-2006, 09:06 PM.
                    In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by HDH
                      Jack Morris has over 250 Ws and nearly 2500 Ks but, the magic number is 300Ws and 3000 Ks unless you're a Cub. Actually, I think Hal Newhouser and Jim Bunning (Phillies-Tiger) have similar qualifications as Earl Whitehill, George Uhle, Hooks Dauss, George Mullin, and Mickey Lolich. They should all be in or all be out.

Rusty Staub had over 2700 Hits but, I don't think he's a HOF player. Whitaker-Trammell belong more than Tinker-Evers-Chance but, will likely not get any consideration. I don't think George Kell's numbers are good enough for enshrinement as a player only. That brings me to Al Kaline. His numbers seem only above average his 1st ten years and below average his remaining years. Certainly not someone I would call an elite player.

Its likely Mitch Album makes the Baseball HOF because writers have the vote and the media feel that they are more important than the players themselves. Generally, they are biased toward Cubs players. Does anyone think Ryne Sandberg was better than Lou Whitaker or Bruce Sutter better than Rich Gossage? I don't!

I will only reply today to one of your player comparisons, but I think you are short-sighted on both - also Kaline & Kell. I can only mention three major stat differences now - out of several where Sandberg is clearly ahead of Whitaker.

Sandberg had around nine seasons where he finished in the top-10 in hits -- Lou had one.

Ryne had around 8-9 Gold Gloves -- Lou had three.

Ryne averaged right around .300 for 11 consecutive seasons -- think Lou only hit over .300 once in his career.

Gotta run!

:atthepc
                      NostraFucious

Comment

Words from a Short Sighted Fan

My point is that just because a player spent 5 years as a Cub, shouldn't make him a HOF. In the case of Sandberg, his career totals don't seem so much better than Lou Whitaker's. Also, I always felt Lou was a better player overall.

Regardless of afterthought. During their playing days, there was no GM that would've preferred Sutter over Gossage.
                        In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

This is a great question and it illustrates how The Tigers have lacked that one identifiable Cooperstown-bound franchise superstar since, probably, Hank Greenberg.
                          Although I think Kaline deserved enshrinement, he was a few tiers below his outfield contemporaries like Mantle and Clemente.
                          Trammell and Morris are both borderline candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch
                            This is a great question and it illustrates how The Tigers have lacked that one identifiable Cooperstown-bound franchise superstar since, probably, Hank Greenberg.
                            Although I think Kaline deserved enshrinement, he was a few tiers below his outfield contemporaries like Mantle and Clemente.
                            Trammell and Morris are both borderline candidates.
                            A few tiers below them? How many tiers are there? Remember, Kaline was elected in his first year, which is a slam dunk for the most part.
                            There are a few good discussions about Kaline/Clemente in the History forum, Gooch. A lot of people actually consider Kaline the better of the two. I think they're close, certainly at the same level. Mantle was Mantle. He's in my personal top ten all-time.
                            Outside of that, I completely agree with you.
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Kaline was a fine steady player and quite a gentleman from what I understand. Yes, you're right that he was slightly better than Clemente as a defensive right-fielder. But Kaline loses some points with me because of his relative lack of power (he was good for 15 to 20 a year), despite batting in the 3-4-5 positions in the order most of his career. His batting average was good, not great, (though he hit .340 once early on), plus he lacked speed.
                              I also think Mantle was one of the top six or seven players in history (power, speed, defense, charisma, etc.), so not too many guys are comparable to Mick.
                              Perhaps I shouldn't even include Mantle as a peer to Al, since Mickey played centerfield.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X