Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by Brownie31
    A group called The Friends of Rickwood is preserving Rickwood Field in Birmingham, America's oldest standing baseball park. Although the Birmingham Barons left after the 1987 season, they return once a year against a Southern League foe & both teams wear throwback uniforms usually from the '20s, 30' & '40s. There was also a recreation of a Negro League game recently with Willie Mays, a 1948 Birmingham Black Baron, in attendance. It can be done! Brownie31
    There was a plan to bring minor league baseball back to tiger stadium but the city of detroit who owns tiger stadium is stonewalling any plan to use the historic stadium.the stadium could be used for anything all it need is a little upkeep since it has not been used in a while.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Doesn't look good for the old lady.

Comment

Originally posted by moldyoldie
        Now's the time for all these Tiger Stadium fan clubs to put up and pull together. Because it isn't in the city's best interests to just keep it there. You hear a lot of people talking, but that's all it ever has been.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It really is time to do something about this. This is a classic stadium, and yes, I know that it won't stand forever, but still, it doesn't hurt at all to prolong the life of Tiger Stadium and actually use it.

But I should comment on something, every proposal seems to be shot down by Detroit politics, which is obviously stupid. Nothing seems to impress them. *thinks* I guess that if you jump on the MLS bandwagon (Major League Soccer) and form a group that will eventually bring a team to MoTown, you might have a chance there. It is a hard process, though, but it's at least something, anything to prevent those goons who run Detroit from auctioning off the place. I believe that there was a past effort for MLS in Detroit, but I don't know what happened. Yeah, I heard about the "soccer games" idea being shot down, too, but think about a whole MLS season full of games in that field. It would generate more business in the corner.

I'm just saying that it would be a shame to see that ballpark go like this. It's like Tiger Stadium has been tortured since 9/27/99 and the leaders of Detroit can't wait to finally execute this classic ballpark after nearly a decade. It's put up or shut up now for the people who want to save their beloved park, and Donald, that includes you.
          Last edited by Knick9; 03-14-2006, 01:42 PM.
          My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by Knick9
            It really is time to do something about this. This is a classic stadium, and yes, I know that it won't stand forever, but still, it doesn't hurt at all to prolong the life of Tiger Stadium and actually use it.

But I should comment on something, every proposal seems to be shot down by Detroit politics, which is obviously stupid. Nothing seems to impress them. *thinks* I guess that if you jump on the MLS bandwagon (Major League Soccer) and form a group that will eventually bring a team to MoTown, you might have a chance there. It is a hard process, though, but it's at least something, anything to prevent those goons who run Detroit from auctioning off the place. I believe that there was a past effort for MLS in Detroit, but I don't know what happened. Yeah, I heard about the "soccer games" idea being shot down, too, but think about a whole MLS season full of games in that field. It would generate more business in the corner.

I'm just saying that it would be a shame to see that ballpark go like this. It's like Tiger Stadium has been tortured since 9/27/99 and the leaders of Detroit can't wait to finally execute this classic ballpark after nearly a decade. It's put up or shut up now for the people who want to save their beloved park, and Donald, that includes you.
            Well on the local channel 7 new tonite they mentioned that the city is now talking about demolition of our beloved tiger stadium.the man that wanted to bring minor league baseball to tiger stadium was on the news also.the problem is THE CITY OF DETROIT.they are stonewallying any attempt to bring anything to tiger stadium.and i have been told by moderators here not to talk about the reasons that i think the city is doing this.one person cant do it all. as far as the tiger stadium fan club since the opening of the comerica antiseptic toilet bowl park they have been very quiet.it was a very hard fight to keep that stadium from being built. and for alot of tiger stadium fan club members this is a very bitter subject to talk about even 6 years later.so we will all see what happens in the near future.

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Well everyone i just saw on tonites local news that our idiot of a mayor of detroit is going to make a decsion on tiger stadium next month.they are talking about tearing down tiger stadium.i am so sick of this city and the people who run it. if i could i would love to move out of this city and move in the suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                Well everyone i just saw on tonites local news that our idiot of a mayor of detroit is going to make a decsion on tiger stadium next month.they are talking about tearing down tiger stadium.i am so sick of this city and the people who run it. if i could i would love to move out of this city and move in the suburbs.
                Well, who the [email protected]#* re-elected Kwame??? I don't live in Detroit, but I do read the Detroit papers from time to time online. It seems like he was under fire for the last several years for a string of bad decisions and then he wins re-election. What's going on in that city??? I just don't get it. :grouchy
                “I have an Alka Seltzer bat. You know, plop plop fizz fizz. When the pitcher sees me walking up there they say, 'Oh what a relief it is.'” - Andy Van Slyke during a hitting slump.

"They're making a movie about me. It's called The Summer of 4 to 3." - Andy Van Slyke on yet another hitting slump.

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by jfine
                  Well, who the [email protected]#* re-elected Kwame??? I don't live in Detroit, but I do read the Detroit papers from time to time online. It seems like he was under fire for the last several years for a string of bad decisions and then he wins re-election. What's going on in that city??? I just don't get it. :grouchy
                  I have been a resident of detroit since 1969 and i will say this i did not vote for kwame and i never will. this city has stonewalled any suggestion of using tiger stadium. there is nothing wrong with the ballpark.i would move out of this city but i cant since i have been out of work for over a year due to medicial problems this week in the paper there was talk about reducing the size of tiger stadium to about 15,000 and using it for high school baseball. this would return the stadium to how it would have looked like back in 1912. i would rather see them keep parts of the stadium like they did with league park in cleveland instead of tearing the whole thing down.but these city leaders cant wait to tear down tiger stadium.

Comment

If they can do that to Tiger Stadium then I would be all for it. But without really going down the road I advocate not just to Donald but everyone, I don't have much confidence in the Detroit city leaders, something we all seem to agree on who actually deal with what has gone on. We don't need to get into the details here.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — The corner of Michigan and Trumbull is "prime" real estate, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says.

But that assessment could finally doom Tiger Stadium, a baseball shrine for almost 90 years.

Speaking with Detroit Free Press editors and reporters, Kilpatrick said he'll make a final decision on the stadium's fate in May. He stopped just short of saying the venerable ballpark, where the Detroit Tigers played from 1912 through 1999, will be torn down.

"You have a lot of interesting things and perspectives that have been given about Tiger Stadium, but the only people with money who have approached us want that stadium gone," the Free Press quoted Kilpatrick as saying in a Thursday report.

"We're focused on making sure that we do something with that site. It's a prime opportunity."

City development officials will market the site — with no mention of the stadium — at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas in May, Kilpatrick said.

The mayor said he's gotten estimates that enough memorabilia could be salvaged from Tiger Stadium and sold to pay for the demolition at no net cost to the city.

Kilpatrick has failed to consider legitimate plans to save the stadium, said David Malhalab, a retired Detroit police officer who is among those trying to rescue the ballpark.

"Tiger Stadium can be preserved, can be utilized, if the city would just allow people who care about it and want to preserve it to do so," he said Wednesday.

Kilpatrick also unveiled plans to restore Detroit's police headquarters. He said he has abandoned his previously announced proposal to demolish the historic structure.

The 36-month project is scheduled to begin about Aug. 1. It was not clear how the city would pay for restoring the 83-year-old building, the Free Press said.

Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years? Yeah, I know, don't discuss politics, but I'll just say that I agree with those of you who said our city leadership has no backbone, goals, or ethics. Nobody "with money" has approached them? I highly doubt that. It's more like nobody "with money for the city council members" has approached them. If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by racosun
                        The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — The corner of Michigan and Trumbull is "prime" real estate, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says.

But that assessment could finally doom Tiger Stadium, a baseball shrine for almost 90 years.

Speaking with Detroit Free Press editors and reporters, Kilpatrick said he'll make a final decision on the stadium's fate in May. He stopped just short of saying the venerable ballpark, where the Detroit Tigers played from 1912 through 1999, will be torn down.

"You have a lot of interesting things and perspectives that have been given about Tiger Stadium, but the only people with money who have approached us want that stadium gone," the Free Press quoted Kilpatrick as saying in a Thursday report.

"We're focused on making sure that we do something with that site. It's a prime opportunity."

City development officials will market the site — with no mention of the stadium — at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas in May, Kilpatrick said.

The mayor said he's gotten estimates that enough memorabilia could be salvaged from Tiger Stadium and sold to pay for the demolition at no net cost to the city.

Kilpatrick has failed to consider legitimate plans to save the stadium, said David Malhalab, a retired Detroit police officer who is among those trying to rescue the ballpark.

"Tiger Stadium can be preserved, can be utilized, if the city would just allow people who care about it and want to preserve it to do so," he said Wednesday.

Kilpatrick also unveiled plans to restore Detroit's police headquarters. He said he has abandoned his previously announced proposal to demolish the historic structure.

The 36-month project is scheduled to begin about Aug. 1. It was not clear how the city would pay for restoring the 83-year-old building, the Free Press said.

Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years? Yeah, I know, don't discuss politics, but I'll just say that I agree with those of you who said our city leadership has no backbone, goals, or ethics. Nobody "with money" has approached them? I highly doubt that. It's more like nobody "with money for the city council members" has approached them. If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.
                        It's business as usual. That's all.
                        Without opening up the floodgates, has the former mayor, Dennis Archer, said anything about this while he is in Washington? Of course, nothing was done during Archer's tenure about this, either.
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Tiger Stadium

I cant understand this crap in todays paper. there have been plans with people with money that want to use tiger stadium. this city and its leaders just cant wait to tear down tiger stadium and the nerve they say that they are going to use money from tiger stadium memorbilia to pay for its demolition.i cant stand this city and the people who run it. and this makes me hate comerica antiseptic toliet bowl even more.

Comment

Tiger Stadium

This biggest mistake that was ever done with tiger stadium is when the tigers sold the stadium to the city of detroit for 1 dollar back in the 1970s.they own the stadium. now people have talked about the train station in detroit that is down the street from tiger stadium. if that train station was own by the city which its not you would be hearing the same thing about it.its been a FEW YEARS since we have heard anything from the tiger stadium fan club which i was a member of now is the time that something should be heard from the club.i hope that there are tiger stadium fan club members out there that are watching this on TV and reading it in the paper. NOW is the time to speak up about this. and it looks like in a couple of years you are going to be seeing this same thing happening to historic yankee stadium.

Comment

originally posted by racosun
                              Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years?

.....If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.
                              The reason it has gone unused, as you know, is that any time but game day you need to be armed to the teeth to walk in that area. But real estate is always "prime" when you're trying to sell.

And you're right about that last part. If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch several years ago instead of to the city, downtown might look different today.
                              "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                              --Bob Feller

Comment

Originally posted by 2Chance
                                The reason it has gone unused, as you know, is that any time but game day you need to be armed to the teeth to walk in that area. But real estate is always "prime" when you're trying to sell.

And you're right about that last part. If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch several years ago instead of to the city, downtown might look different today.
                                If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch, it would have been gone a long time ago. Too far from Foxtown.
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X