X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Happy Birthday Tiger Stadium

Well tiger stadium have a great 94th birthday today. lets hope for many more birthdays to come.

Leave a comment:

• Knick9
    replied
    Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    There is a new movie out this month on tiger stadium filmed by gary glaser and richard bak here is a link for info on this new movie.

www.strandedatthecorner.com
    You hit a home run, Donald. Thanks for the link. :atthepc

Leave a comment:

• skeletor
    replied
    items for sale

wonder what kind of stuff from the ballpark, will be offered
    for sale....

Leave a comment:

• skeletor
    replied
    Goodbye olde gal

sorry to see it happen...myself, spent many a happy spring-summer-fall
    at the olde gal..what a wonderful place to see baseball...True, certain
    seats were a pain..and the restrooms were grungy, and the concession
    stands were limited..but boy, was the field great..and more..

tis' a shame she'll end up with the wrecking ball....Detroit has tore down
    more history, than a lot cities ever had....

Detroit has been quietly planning for the corner's demise, since the final
    days of John Feltzer's ownership...

Leave a comment:

• 2Chance
    replied
    ...I also enjoyed following the links. Thanks again, Donald.:atthepc

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Thanks for the link, Donald. Looks like the movie is worth seeing. I've always been a fan of Thom Sharp.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium Movie

There is a new movie out this month on tiger stadium filmed by gary glaser and richard bak here is a link for info on this new movie.

www.strandedatthecorner.com

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Friday's issue of The Detroit Free Press has another story about the fate of Tiger Stadium. They say Kilpatrick is leaning towards tearing it down, but nothing is set in stone yet. Some possible uses for the land is a commercial/residential combo surrounding the historic playing field, thus preserving it somewhat. You can read the whole article at freep.com, it's interesting.

Leave a comment:

• tigers527
    replied
    the best solution for the ballpark?

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    There was a plan to bring minor league baseball back to tiger stadium but the city of detroit who owns tiger stadium is stonewalling any plan to use the historic stadium.the stadium could be used for anything all it need is a little upkeep since it has not been used in a while.
    Now hear me out. I say you give the stadium to Nemos Bar. They could run beer league soft ball, little league games, on game days their shuttle service could be run much more efficiently. They do seem to be the one place that brings people to the area consistantly. During football season you could have Lions alumni vs Bears alumni softball for charity (in september). Hey, maybe if they do well enough, they could remodel the upper decks into lofts? Leaving the lower decks for the fans. From there they could sublease the shopping to the stores in the region. At the very least the tax revenue would pay for the security and maintainence. Although, they should give a break on the tax value.

It should be said the city owned private property is never a good thing for all involved. The train station, not to mention Dearborns folly with the Jacobsons building and Mongomery Wards. Cities should own the freeway mediums, the side streets, easments, etc. NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY.

"Beer the cause of and the solution to all lifes problems." Homer
    Last edited by tigers527; 04-14-2006, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by 2Chance
    The reason it has gone unused, as you know, is that any time but game day you need to be armed to the teeth to walk in that area. But real estate is always "prime" when you're trying to sell.

And you're right about that last part. If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch several years ago instead of to the city, downtown might look different today.
    If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch, it would have been gone a long time ago. Too far from Foxtown.

Leave a comment:

• 2Chance
    replied
    originally posted by racosun
    Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years?

.....If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.
    The reason it has gone unused, as you know, is that any time but game day you need to be armed to the teeth to walk in that area. But real estate is always "prime" when you're trying to sell.

And you're right about that last part. If the stadium had been sold to Mr. Ilitch several years ago instead of to the city, downtown might look different today.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium

This biggest mistake that was ever done with tiger stadium is when the tigers sold the stadium to the city of detroit for 1 dollar back in the 1970s.they own the stadium. now people have talked about the train station in detroit that is down the street from tiger stadium. if that train station was own by the city which its not you would be hearing the same thing about it.its been a FEW YEARS since we have heard anything from the tiger stadium fan club which i was a member of now is the time that something should be heard from the club.i hope that there are tiger stadium fan club members out there that are watching this on TV and reading it in the paper. NOW is the time to speak up about this. and it looks like in a couple of years you are going to be seeing this same thing happening to historic yankee stadium.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium

I cant understand this crap in todays paper. there have been plans with people with money that want to use tiger stadium. this city and its leaders just cant wait to tear down tiger stadium and the nerve they say that they are going to use money from tiger stadium memorbilia to pay for its demolition.i cant stand this city and the people who run it. and this makes me hate comerica antiseptic toliet bowl even more.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by racosun
    The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — The corner of Michigan and Trumbull is "prime" real estate, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says.

But that assessment could finally doom Tiger Stadium, a baseball shrine for almost 90 years.

Speaking with Detroit Free Press editors and reporters, Kilpatrick said he'll make a final decision on the stadium's fate in May. He stopped just short of saying the venerable ballpark, where the Detroit Tigers played from 1912 through 1999, will be torn down.

"You have a lot of interesting things and perspectives that have been given about Tiger Stadium, but the only people with money who have approached us want that stadium gone," the Free Press quoted Kilpatrick as saying in a Thursday report.

"We're focused on making sure that we do something with that site. It's a prime opportunity."

City development officials will market the site — with no mention of the stadium — at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas in May, Kilpatrick said.

The mayor said he's gotten estimates that enough memorabilia could be salvaged from Tiger Stadium and sold to pay for the demolition at no net cost to the city.

Kilpatrick has failed to consider legitimate plans to save the stadium, said David Malhalab, a retired Detroit police officer who is among those trying to rescue the ballpark.

"Tiger Stadium can be preserved, can be utilized, if the city would just allow people who care about it and want to preserve it to do so," he said Wednesday.

Kilpatrick also unveiled plans to restore Detroit's police headquarters. He said he has abandoned his previously announced proposal to demolish the historic structure.

The 36-month project is scheduled to begin about Aug. 1. It was not clear how the city would pay for restoring the 83-year-old building, the Free Press said.

Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years? Yeah, I know, don't discuss politics, but I'll just say that I agree with those of you who said our city leadership has no backbone, goals, or ethics. Nobody "with money" has approached them? I highly doubt that. It's more like nobody "with money for the city council members" has approached them. If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.
    It's business as usual. That's all.
    Without opening up the floodgates, has the former mayor, Dennis Archer, said anything about this while he is in Washington? Of course, nothing was done during Archer's tenure about this, either.

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — The corner of Michigan and Trumbull is "prime" real estate, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says.

But that assessment could finally doom Tiger Stadium, a baseball shrine for almost 90 years.

Speaking with Detroit Free Press editors and reporters, Kilpatrick said he'll make a final decision on the stadium's fate in May. He stopped just short of saying the venerable ballpark, where the Detroit Tigers played from 1912 through 1999, will be torn down.

"You have a lot of interesting things and perspectives that have been given about Tiger Stadium, but the only people with money who have approached us want that stadium gone," the Free Press quoted Kilpatrick as saying in a Thursday report.

"We're focused on making sure that we do something with that site. It's a prime opportunity."

City development officials will market the site — with no mention of the stadium — at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas in May, Kilpatrick said.

The mayor said he's gotten estimates that enough memorabilia could be salvaged from Tiger Stadium and sold to pay for the demolition at no net cost to the city.

Kilpatrick has failed to consider legitimate plans to save the stadium, said David Malhalab, a retired Detroit police officer who is among those trying to rescue the ballpark.

"Tiger Stadium can be preserved, can be utilized, if the city would just allow people who care about it and want to preserve it to do so," he said Wednesday.

Kilpatrick also unveiled plans to restore Detroit's police headquarters. He said he has abandoned his previously announced proposal to demolish the historic structure.

The 36-month project is scheduled to begin about Aug. 1. It was not clear how the city would pay for restoring the 83-year-old building, the Free Press said.

Now all of a sudden it's "prime" real estate? If it's been such a "prime" piece of land, why has it been allowed to go unused for all these years? Yeah, I know, don't discuss politics, but I'll just say that I agree with those of you who said our city leadership has no backbone, goals, or ethics. Nobody "with money" has approached them? I highly doubt that. It's more like nobody "with money for the city council members" has approached them. If someone really wanted to acquire Tiger Stadium, they'd simply have to grease a few pockets and they're in. That's the way it works in Detroit nowadays, believe me.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X