Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the best solution for the ballpark?

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    There was a plan to bring minor league baseball back to tiger stadium but the city of detroit who owns tiger stadium is stonewalling any plan to use the historic stadium.the stadium could be used for anything all it need is a little upkeep since it has not been used in a while.
    Now hear me out. I say you give the stadium to Nemos Bar. They could run beer league soft ball, little league games, on game days their shuttle service could be run much more efficiently. They do seem to be the one place that brings people to the area consistantly. During football season you could have Lions alumni vs Bears alumni softball for charity (in september). Hey, maybe if they do well enough, they could remodel the upper decks into lofts? Leaving the lower decks for the fans. From there they could sublease the shopping to the stores in the region. At the very least the tax revenue would pay for the security and maintainence. Although, they should give a break on the tax value.

It should be said the city owned private property is never a good thing for all involved. The train station, not to mention Dearborns folly with the Jacobsons building and Mongomery Wards. Cities should own the freeway mediums, the side streets, easments, etc. NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY.

"Beer the cause of and the solution to all lifes problems." Homer
    Last edited by tigers527; 04-14-2006, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Friday's issue of The Detroit Free Press has another story about the fate of Tiger Stadium. They say Kilpatrick is leaning towards tearing it down, but nothing is set in stone yet. Some possible uses for the land is a commercial/residential combo surrounding the historic playing field, thus preserving it somewhat. You can read the whole article at freep.com, it's interesting.
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Tiger Stadium Movie

There is a new movie out this month on tiger stadium filmed by gary glaser and richard bak here is a link for info on this new movie.

www.strandedatthecorner.com
        LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Thanks for the link, Donald. Looks like the movie is worth seeing. I've always been a fan of Thom Sharp.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

...I also enjoyed following the links. Thanks again, Donald.:atthepc
            "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
            --Bob Feller

Comment

Goodbye olde gal

sorry to see it happen...myself, spent many a happy spring-summer-fall
              at the olde gal..what a wonderful place to see baseball...True, certain
              seats were a pain..and the restrooms were grungy, and the concession
              stands were limited..but boy, was the field great..and more..

tis' a shame she'll end up with the wrecking ball....Detroit has tore down
              more history, than a lot cities ever had....

Detroit has been quietly planning for the corner's demise, since the final
              days of John Feltzer's ownership...

Comment

items for sale

wonder what kind of stuff from the ballpark, will be offered
                for sale....

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                  There is a new movie out this month on tiger stadium filmed by gary glaser and richard bak here is a link for info on this new movie.

www.strandedatthecorner.com
                  You hit a home run, Donald. Thanks for the link. :atthepc
                  My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Happy Birthday Tiger Stadium

Well tiger stadium have a great 94th birthday today. lets hope for many more birthdays to come.
                    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

New Tiger Stadium Documentary Dvd

HELLO
                      THE PREMIERE OF THE NEW TIGER STADIUM DOCUMENTARY DVD WILL BE
                      ON MONDAY, APRIL 24, 7:30PM AT THE GEM THEATRE IN DETROIT..
                      TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE...DVD WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AFTER THE PREMIERE...
                      FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO:
                      WWW.STANDEDATTHECORNER.COM ENJOY HELP SAVE TIGER STADIUM
                      Last edited by Captain Cold Nose; 04-24-2006, 04:22 AM.

Comment

So did anybody go the the Gem Theater last night? Who was there, celebrity-wise or which politicos showed up? I was able to catch the end of an interview on WJR (I can pitck it up quite nicely in Southern Ohio) yesterday, with the head of a mortgage company talking about it. Unfortunately, as I said, it was the end of the interview I caught.
                        Has anyone ordered/seen the DVD?
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I'm sorry but I didn't go see the movie, but I do have good news. The movie sold out!
                          My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9
                            I'm sorry but I didn't go see the movie, but I do have good news. The movie sold out!
                            A step in the right direction. I admit, I've never been to the Gem. Is it bigger than the State? That would have been something, to have the premiere right across the street from Comerica.
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                              A step in the right direction. I admit, I've never been to the Gem. Is it bigger than the State? That would have been something, to have the premiere right across the street from Comerica.
                              The Gem is pretty much one parking structure (that abuts the theatre) and the Elwood removed from Comerica. It is smaller (quite a bit) then the Fox, but pretty much right outside the center field doors. Oops, you said State, not Fox....d'oh that one I will have to check on. Hmmm the Gem is the only one of the 2 in the phone book, I am not sure if that means Gem is bigger or Gem is higher end.
                              Last edited by tigers527; 05-01-2006, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527
                                The Gem is pretty much one parking structure (that abuts the theatre) and the Elwood removed from Comerica. It is smaller (quite a bit) then the Fox, but pretty much right outside the center field doors. Oops, you said State, not Fox....d'oh that one I will have to check on. Hmmm the Gem is the only one of the 2 in the phone book, I am not sure if that means Gem is bigger or Gem is higher end.
                                So that's where the Gem is? I never really thought about it, if I'm in that area of Detroit and paying attention, it's either on Woodward itself or down on Lafayette by John King. Or in the area of JLA/Cobo. I never knew Chris Chelios had a restaurant in that area until very recently.
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X