X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSUlaxer27
    replied
    Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    Well everyone next week the city of detroit is going to announce there demolition plans for tiger stadium. one of the local tv stations even mention that the detroit red wings may build a new hockey arena on the tiger stadium site.this sucks any wonder why i cant stand the city of detroit and its mayor and that antiseptic stadium that the city has next to ford field.

Move........

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium Future

Well everyone next week the city of detroit is going to announce there demolition plans for tiger stadium. one of the local tv stations even mention that the detroit red wings may build a new hockey arena on the tiger stadium site.this sucks any wonder why i cant stand the city of detroit and its mayor and that antiseptic stadium that the city has next to ford field.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by George & Al
    I agree that the stadium should have been kept up for "special occasion" use, which could have largely paid for it's upkeep.

Just last year, MLB wanted to hold All Star events there. My theory is that those events could have brought premium money. Also, last summer when the Padres came in for 3 games? MONEY! By simply playing a handful of games there each year, AND letting other events happen in the place, they could at very least be breaking even on upkeep. Jerks.
    If they do it were the event is actually accessible to those who aren't friends with Arthur Penhallow, great. The whole experience with the Super Bowl was ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• George & Al
    replied
    I agree that the stadium should have been kept up for "special occasion" use, which could have largely paid for it's upkeep.

Just last year, MLB wanted to hold All Star events there. My theory is that those events could have brought premium money. Also, last summer when the Padres came in for 3 games? MONEY! By simply playing a handful of games there each year, AND letting other events happen in the place, they could at very least be breaking even on upkeep. Jerks.

Leave a comment:

• skeletor
    replied
    Donald's passion

Well tiger stadium have a great 94th birthday today. lets hope for many more birthdays to come.
    Well, at least Donald has some real passion for the olde girl..and has
    refused to get on the COPA-Tigers bandwagon...is this good ?
    depends on your take....

I'm wondering right now, the actual state of the park, how bad it
    has gotten since it closed in 1999...Of course, I believe the club
    the last few seasons there, did hardly any upkeep..as COPA was
    being built...Perhaps Donald could give us an update on this...

I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to bring the corner back..

A shame that the club couldn't play a couple of series there a year,
    especially on retro night..say with the Yankees..and having the ball
    fly outta Tiger stadium...inna sense, totally different park than the
    so called toilet bowl...as Donald has termed it..

Perhaps the club should have a Toilet bowl night at COPA...plumbers,
    or anyone dressing like one..gets it for free..or half price..and give away
    free toilet bowl supplies to all the fans..(LOL)

Leave a comment:

• Brownie31
    replied
    Here is there website.
    www.detroitathletic.com
    you can order the dvd here also besides the phone number.
    POLO GROUNDS 1957:

I received the dvd yesterday and watched it this afternoon.
    Outstanding production but sad and deeply disturbing.

This Illitch character sounds like the pits-even worse than
    Peter Angelos. Except for that council lady, it seems as
    though he runs Detroit.

That is just like it used to be here in Birmingham with
    Richard Scrushy. Guess you find them everywhere.

Thanks for putting me on to this great dvd!

Brownie31

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Originally posted by Brownie31
    POLO GROUNDS 1957:

Thanks for letting us know about this film. I ordered a copy
    off their website.

I am looking forward to it very much.

All may not be lost at Michigan and Trumbull!

Brownie31
    Here is there website.
    www.detroitathletic.com
    you can order the dvd here also besides the phone number.

Leave a comment:

• Brownie31
    replied
    Just want to let everyone know that you can get a copy of stranded at the corner at the detroit athletic co that is located next door to tiger stadium. phone number is 1-313-961-3550
    POLO GROUNDS 1957:

Thanks for letting us know about this film. I ordered a copy
    off their website.

I am looking forward to it very much.

All may not be lost at Michigan and Trumbull!

Brownie31

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium Dvd Movie

There is a new movie out this month on tiger stadium filmed by gary glaser and richard bak here is a link for info on this new movie.

www.strandedatthecorner.com
    Just want to let everyone know that you can get a copy of stranded at the corner at the detroit athletic co that is located next door to tiger stadium. phone number is 1-313-961-3550

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by tigers527
    The Gem is pretty much one parking structure (that abuts the theatre) and the Elwood removed from Comerica. It is smaller (quite a bit) then the Fox, but pretty much right outside the center field doors. Oops, you said State, not Fox....d'oh that one I will have to check on. Hmmm the Gem is the only one of the 2 in the phone book, I am not sure if that means Gem is bigger or Gem is higher end.
    So that's where the Gem is? I never really thought about it, if I'm in that area of Detroit and paying attention, it's either on Woodward itself or down on Lafayette by John King. Or in the area of JLA/Cobo. I never knew Chris Chelios had a restaurant in that area until very recently.

Leave a comment:

• tigers527
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    A step in the right direction. I admit, I've never been to the Gem. Is it bigger than the State? That would have been something, to have the premiere right across the street from Comerica.
    The Gem is pretty much one parking structure (that abuts the theatre) and the Elwood removed from Comerica. It is smaller (quite a bit) then the Fox, but pretty much right outside the center field doors. Oops, you said State, not Fox....d'oh that one I will have to check on. Hmmm the Gem is the only one of the 2 in the phone book, I am not sure if that means Gem is bigger or Gem is higher end.
    Last edited by tigers527; 05-01-2006, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Knick9
    I'm sorry but I didn't go see the movie, but I do have good news. The movie sold out!
    A step in the right direction. I admit, I've never been to the Gem. Is it bigger than the State? That would have been something, to have the premiere right across the street from Comerica.

Leave a comment:

• Knick9
    replied
    I'm sorry but I didn't go see the movie, but I do have good news. The movie sold out!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    So did anybody go the the Gem Theater last night? Who was there, celebrity-wise or which politicos showed up? I was able to catch the end of an interview on WJR (I can pitck it up quite nicely in Southern Ohio) yesterday, with the head of a mortgage company talking about it. Unfortunately, as I said, it was the end of the interview I caught.
    Has anyone ordered/seen the DVD?

Leave a comment:

• DAVID2447
    replied
    New Tiger Stadium Documentary Dvd

HELLO
    THE PREMIERE OF THE NEW TIGER STADIUM DOCUMENTARY DVD WILL BE
    ON MONDAY, APRIL 24, 7:30PM AT THE GEM THEATRE IN DETROIT..
    TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE...DVD WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AFTER THE PREMIERE...
    FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO:
    WWW.STANDEDATTHECORNER.COM ENJOY HELP SAVE TIGER STADIUM
    Last edited by Captain Cold Nose; 04-24-2006, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X