Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time hearing Mario & Rod live...EVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time hearing Mario & Rod live...EVER!

Today was the first time! I'd heard 'em on video tape recordings by my uncle, but that was it. The Yankees-Blue Jays game was rained out, so they gave us FSN Detroit, and I watched the whole game. I wanted to throw my shoe through the TV at two points (having Jason Grilli come in and when Clete Thomas was stranded on third), but I liked Mario and Rod! Usually I have to put up with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan (ugh). I also enjoyed seeing Gary Sheffield's plate discipline, and the blasts by Miggy (the first of many) and Carlos Guillen (seeing that man hit is poetry). Also forgot just how hard Denny Bautista threw and how similar his mechanics were to Pedro Martinez (he's Pedro and Ramon's first cousin). But yes, I all in all enjoyed the game.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Grilli

There is a growing number in this city that believe Grilli has dirty pic's of some one in Tiger management...no way should he be on the roster!!!

By the way did you notice Rod was able to squeeze in that he played in Japan. I figured it would take at least thee games.

Go TIGERS!!!

Comment

"By the way did you notice Rod was able to squeeze in that he played in Japan."

Yep. I also bought a Rod Allen baseball card off eBay for a grand total of $1.50 shipped, heh.

"There is a growing number in this city that believe Grilli has dirty pic's of some one in Tiger management...no way should he be on the roster!!!"

With the Mets, I generally refer to these guys as "Doug Sisk Award Winners." Sisk was a terrible reliever in the 1980's who still managed to put up league average stats...usually because he pitched mop-up duty so well. More recent winners include Mel Rojas (who also pitched in Detroit and did equally badly), Rich Rodriguez, Bobby M. Jones, Danny Graves, and Guillermo Mota. For the Tigers, I'd extend that to Franklyn German, Craig Dingman, Matt Ginter (starter with the Mets, but this is relievers only), and Doug Creek as well as Grilli and give them all Honorary Doug Sisk Awards.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by richie hebner View Post

By the way did you notice Rod was able to squeeze in that he played in Japan. I figured it would take at least thee games.

Go TIGERS!!!
        Richie,
        Rod tells everyone he played in Japan every game, I think it was the top of 1 yesterday...he throws out he was on the '84 Tigers every three games or so...

Comment

I said last year that Mario and Rod were starting to grow on me. Come to think of it again this year, they annoy the piss out of me. The only thing I like about them is how much they love the Tigers.

I didn't know that Bautista was cousins with Pedro and Ramon, nice to know.
          "The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault. -Ty Cobb

Comment

"I didn't know that Bautista was cousins with Pedro and Ramon, nice to know."

Yep. Pedro is his personal pitching coach FOR FREE and Ramon taught him a sinking off-speed pitch that he throws as a changeup.

Comment

Have I missed it????

Now with the games being on during working hours, I have not caught too much of the action on TV.

Has Rod called anyone country strong yet? Cause that's one of my favorite Rodisms.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527 View Post
                Has Rod called anyone country strong yet? Cause that's one of my favorite Rodisms.
                No, but Mario has.

Comment

I watch the games on mlb tv so i only have the pleasure to listen to mario and rod @ home games ...

wich gives it a little change though so thats a good thing i guess

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X