Perhaps an irreverent question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps an irreverent question

If you could have a do-over on the Jurrjens-for-Renteria trade, would you still pull the trigger?

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
    If you could have a do-over on the Jurrjens-for-Renteria trade, would you still pull the trigger?
    Sure....I mean the entire rotation is performing like 3rd-5th starters at best and Renteria has actually been pretty good.

Comment

No, and you have me on record at the time saying giving up Jurrjens was a little too risky...
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Right now, no. You need to give to get, and the Tigers really did need to get Guillen away from short. I wish Jurrjens well, I think he'll be a fine and consistent pitcher, but I think the benefits of the trade will shine through this season as it moves along.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

You know, I've looked at this a bit more. Actually, I WOULD do it, but that's contingent on the Miguel Cabrera deal turning out just a tad different than it really turned out. As opposed to getting Dontrelle Willis, instead we get Kevin Gregg and one of Lee Gardner or Matt Lindstrom (the latter is a horrible attitude problem and even gets physical at times, but maybe Jim Leyland could sit on him and squelch his ego...I mean, Uncle Jimmy doesn't believe in team chemistry to begin with). In Gregg you suddenly have a guy who not only can set up Todd Jones, but also take over righty vs. righty duties from Jason Grilli. In Lindstrom or Gardner, you suddenly have a guy taking tremendous pressure off Aquilino Lopez and Denny Bautista. Both guys have good endurance and mow down righty hitters. If you go with Lindstrom, then you also have a guy ready to set-up Joel Zumaya when Todd Jones finally decides to hang 'em up. Ah well.
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Yes, but only because we were in need of a reliable shortstop with some pop in his bat. As The Captain states, we also needed to get Guillen away from that position. Who could have foreseen the early-season problems in the starting rotation?

I'm just worried about Guillen at first; have you seen some of his awful footwork over there? It almost seems as if he has a deathwish!

Comment

Originally posted by moldyoldie View Post
              Yes, but only because we were in need of a reliable shortstop with some pop in his bat. As The Captain states, we also needed to get Guillen away from that position. Who could have foreseen the early-season problems in the starting rotation?

I'm just worried about Guillen at first; have you seen some of his awful footwork over there? It almost seems as if he has a deathwish!
              Everytime I see his leg in the base path I have flashbacks of Joe Theisman.

Comment

"I'm just worried about Guillen at first; have you seen some of his awful footwork over there?"

I know he's a butcher at first, but most of my Tigers games come via XM radio. The others, I get to listen to Jon Miller/Joe Morgan or Some Random Guy/Timmy McCarver and usually watch the game on mute or just switch back to the radio if they're losing (I can't deal with losing AND having to listen to Tim McCarver or Joe Morgan at once...I don't know how anyone can...I also do this with the Mets...)

Comment

Someone's hearing us: Leyland announced after last night's game that Guillen is moving to third base and Cabrera's taking over at first.:crossfingers:

Comment

Renteria or JJ

I hope you have noticed that very little gets past Renteria. Jurjens is still an unproven quanity. Also take into consideration that in the next few days the Tigers will be at full strength. The games should be a little more interesting with Polanco, Granderson and Sheff back in the lineup, although the Sheff situation is a bit scary. I watch him swing and really can't figure out how any malady in his shoulders could heal.

GO Tigers!!!

Comment

Guillen scares the heck out of me at 3B. I am sure he will do a little better than Cabrera getting to baseballs, but I am frightened at how he will throw. Throwing errors were where most of his errors came from last year at short, and there are more consistently difficult throws at 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527 View Post
                        Guillen scares the heck out of me at 3B. I am sure he will do a little better than Cabrera getting to baseballs, but I am frightened at how he will throw. Throwing errors were where most of his errors came from last year at short, and there are more consistently difficult throws at 3rd.
                        The season is shaping up as one hell of an adventure, eh?

With Sheffield seemingly on permanent "what if" status, Guillen may end up being our regular DH -- who knows? In any case, it makes one glad we still have Inge.

Comment

Anyone feel like changing their vote?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X