Should the Tigers sign Bonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Tigers sign Bonds?

With Sheffield playing left, there is no primary DH. Would it benefit the Tigers to sign Barry Bonds? I think it would be a great pick up. What are your thoughts on this?
    Yes
    31.82%
    No
    68.18%

The poll is expired.

it isnt bats you need, its the starters getting it together and some relief pitching
    BALLGAME OVER, YANKEES WIN...THEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN
    “You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”

Comment

I voted sure...but I have always been a fan of a circus.

It should be noted that Bonds' people have been tossing around the idea of charging MLB with collusion. Where it not for the other legal concerns in Barry's life, I think he would have a case. Even with the other legal stuff I think he still has a case, its just rather or not he wants to spend the time pursuing it.

Sammy Sosa would have the same type of case, and he clearly demonstrated that he could still get productive RBI numbers last year, yet he is still in exile while Hafner, Sheffield and Ortiz (although Ortiz run production numbers still look good) plod along unable to hit their respective body weights.
      Last edited by tigers527; 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Is he even needed? The Tigers offense isn't a problem.

Teams that could use Bonds, like Toronto, should sign him. The Tigers current concern is pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
          Is he even needed? The Tigers offense isn't a problem.
          Have you looked at some of the spilts in the W/L: W=.316BA, 27HR, 116RBI, L=.218BA, 9HR, 38RBI. Not to mention their less than 5 runs scored vs more than 5 runs scored record. Not that Bonds would resolve the entire offense's issues, but it could not hurt, check the DH splits if you don't believe me.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...=DET&year=2008

Besides where do the Tigers get pitching right now????

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527 View Post
            Have you looked at some of the spilts in the W/L: W=.316BA, 27HR, 116RBI, L=.218BA, 9HR, 38RBI. Not to mention their less than 5 runs scored vs more than 5 runs scored record. Not that Bonds would resolve the entire offense's issues, but it could not hurt, check the DH splits if you don't believe me.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...=DET&year=2008

Besides where do the Tigers get pitching right now????
            The Tigers have lost four games by more than 10 runs. Does it matter if the team scored a couple of more runs or had a couple of more hits? What I see is a pitching staff getting hit hard, it doesn't matter if the offense score 1-5 runs when the pitching giving up 6-12 runs a game. You have a 6-0 lead and end up losing a game? Pitching a issue.

Is the offense hitting to it's potential? No, but I don't see the offense as a problem in need of a upgrade. It's been good. More games could have won if the pitching staff wasn't blowing leads or giving up a large amount of runs.

Don't understand your second sentence. You mean what's their record when they scored 5 runs compared to their record when they scored less than 5 runs?

Not at all. Bonds would be a welcome addition to teams even if they're not in dire situation. I won't disagree that adding Bonds would hurt. It's just adding Bonds won't help the problems the Tigers are dealing with.

Nothing to be honest. The Tigers need to get their starting pitchers on track, if possible. Otherwise, the Tigers need to deal for another starter or/and reliever, but I don't see appealing options in the trade market either. Kevin Milwood? I'm sure you'll pass on him.

Bullpen always been a crapshoot. You could get lucky with certain veterans that find it and others that just fall a part after success. Honestly, the bullpen can only wait for relief when Rodney and Zumaya or another pitcher(s) steps up.

The solution for the offense, if it's consider a concern, and pitching is currently on the team. It's just a matter of getting these players back on track.

Comment

Collusion? I don't think so. The only reason he was playing last year was to sell tickets for the home run record. Who wants an aging steroid user who's disruptive in the clubhouse. No thanks. It's too bad we traded Jurrjens. He could be helping us.

Comment

He could split time with Sheffield in LF and DH.

Comment

Hey EBG. Welcome. For those of you who may be wondering, I can confirm his location. I was in rough and tumble doowntown Plymouth a couple weeks ago. It was tooth and nail until I reached the security of I-275 and a happy, inviting Livonia.

Another bat won't help them, they have good hitting on the team that is warming up. The pitchers. The team does not need a quick fix.

Considering their horrendous start, the best thing for the team to do is play out the season. It is more likely than not they'll get things together. Now is not time to panic.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                    The Tigers have lost four games by more than 10 runs.
                    They probably also won a handful of games by 10ish runs. Don't get me wrong, the Tigers certainly could use some pitching, but Barry is sitting there and free for the taking (minus salary of course).

12 out of 34 games this season the Tigers have scored 2 runs or less (3 games with 2 runs, 4 games with 1 run, and 5 shutouts). I am not sure what kinda pitching is out there that would give the Tigers much of a shot in any of those games. Should the Tigers have won maybe 1 or 2 of those games, not sure. It is tough to ask starters/bull pen to win a 1-0/2-1 game.

Comment

I think a number of teams have this dilemma. Sure Bonds can help you at the plate but what you need is pitching. The Yankees are in much the same boat as the Tigers. Maybe the Twins would be a good fit??

A team that could actually benefit from him is my poor Royals. They actually have decent pitching but can't hit their way out of a paper bag. The problem there is that even with Bonds they wouldn't contend so why bother.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527 View Post
                        They probably also won a handful of games by 10ish runs. Don't get me wrong, the Tigers certainly could use some pitching, but Barry is sitting there and free for the taking (minus salary of course).

12 out of 34 games this season the Tigers have scored 2 runs or less (3 games with 2 runs, 4 games with 1 run, and 5 shutouts). I am not sure what kinda pitching is out there that would give the Tigers much of a shot in any of those games. Should the Tigers have won maybe 1 or 2 of those games, not sure. It is tough to ask starters/bull pen to win a 1-0/2-1 game.
                        Would adding Bonds guarantee better offense? It's not like the Giants have done so well the last couple of years. But, then again, the Giants didn't provide Bonds with close to the bats around him that the Tigers currently have.

I've said if the price was right it mioght be woorth the risk. If Bonds is going to expect an eight-figured salary, I would say no, very emphatically. The media circus as well as everything else with Bonds (a lot of haters out there who have singled Bonds out over everyone else) could prove to be a detriment even if he does return to form of a few years back.
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

One problem that hurts our pitchers is the ham-handed defenders we have put behind them in order to get those bats in the lineup. Pitching and defense, with teamwork and timely hitting, won us a trip to the World Series in '06.

Thankfully, Pudge, Polanco and Granderson do not fit that mold. And Cabrera, though "out of position" at first base, seems to be taking well to defending that bag. (From what I have seen, he could be a very good first baseman.) Unfortunately that puts Guillen's less-than-accurate arm way across the diamond, which has been no help.

Odds are, we will score the runs, but we will also be giving the other team a lot of extra outs. Jim Leyland's real dilemma is that in order to give his pitchers a chance with stellar defense he has to put guys in who can't hit their weight.

Bottom line, can Bonds help here? No.
                          Pitchers already have a fear factor in our lineup; but opposing batters know that with our defense they are going to score some runs too.
                          Last edited by 2Chance; 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM.
                          "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                          --Bob Feller

Comment

How well could Polanco handle third? He has played there in the NL, hasn't he?
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              How well could Polanco handle third? He has played there in the NL, hasn't he?
                              My season ticket seat partner and I talked about the same thing during Monday nights loss, and we came to the conclusion that he could probably field the position well, he just does not have the arm for the position.

But yes when Chase Utley first came up Polanco did get some innings at 3B. From looking it up Polanco only got about 15ish games worth of innings at 3B.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X