Zumaya out again; surgery possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zumaya out again; surgery possible?

That odd stress fracture in Joel Zumaya's shoulder blade has acted up again, and it's entirely possible that not only could he get arthroscopic surgery on it, but might be out of the rest of this season. That's a bummer. He was looking like he was on the right track health-wise this season and just had to work on his pitch-mixing. Oh well, he's still young and hopefully will heal up nicely. He's obviously got fantastic stuff, let's hope for a quick recovery.
    "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Originally posted by r@cosun View Post
    That odd stress fracture in Joel Zumaya's shoulder blade has acted up again, and it's entirely possible that not only could he get arthroscopic surgery on it, but might be out of the rest of this season. That's a bummer. He was looking like he was on the right track health-wise this season and just had to work on his pitch-mixing. Oh well, he's still young and hopefully will heal up nicely. He's obviously got fantastic stuff, let's hope for a quick recovery.
    Hmm, this is the first time I have been for trading him. Maybe we can pawn him off to the Nats for some more garbage. Ok, he isn't garbage but still, this is really frustrating.

Comment

I don't think MLB allows teams to trade players on the DL. Not sure, though. But again, who would want him at this point? Not too many, that's for sure. He's still a cheap flamethrower who has plenty of potential. This setback is unfortunate to say the least, but there's still hope for the guy.

My question is how much were those long outings to blame for this newest injury? I'm talking his three innings of work with 50+ pitches in Minnesota, most over 100mph, and maybe one or two more outings like that. I thought the consensus among the front-office and coaching staff was to baby the guy this season, keep him healthy, and go from there. I guess not. Now we get to start all over and hope he's ready for ST, if he's ever ready at all.
      "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by r@cosun View Post
        I don't think MLB allows teams to trade players on the DL. Not sure, though. But again, who would want him at this point? Not too many, that's for sure. He's still a cheap flamethrower who has plenty of potential. This setback is unfortunate to say the least, but there's still hope for the guy.

My question is how much were those long outings to blame for this newest injury? I'm talking his three innings of work with 50+ pitches in Minnesota, most over 100mph, and maybe one or two more outings like that. I thought the consensus among the front-office and coaching staff was to baby the guy this season, keep him healthy, and go from there. I guess not. Now we get to start all over and hope he's ready for ST, if he's ever ready at all.
        Jim Leyland always says that he isn't going to baby them though, and that when they are with the big club they are going to pitch.

Comment

Who would think a guy that "stocky" (stocky, the nicest way to say it), would be so fragile.

Perhaps they could throw him in a deal as the infamous PTBNL (Player To Be Named Later)?

Myself, I would like them to return him to starting. He threw 414IP in 4 years in the minors mostly as a starter before being called up to the big league BP, where he's thrown 174IP with seemingly unending injury troubles. What can it hurt to slot him into the rotation and hope that only having to "amp up" once every 5 games will be better on his over all health, than "amping up" every/every other game?

Comment

I agree with 527 here, let's get him into the starting rotation. He uses so much energy coming out of the 'pen that it has to be a factor in aggravating that shoulder injury. He may have been throwing harder this year than he ever has, and he told people that he wasn't even trying to give it everything. If he was told he needs to stretch out that energy over multiple innings each time out, he'd be more likely to scale it back a step or two, and thereby perhaps avoiding the injuries he tends to get.

I believe the main reason Leyland and others didn't want to use him as a starter when he first came up was they thought his delivery would ultimately ruin his arm with the effort he used to pitch. I don't see that nowadays, he seems to have a smoother delivery. He's not falling off the mound ala Mitch Williams. Let the shoulder heal up the rest of this season, get him on a quality throwing program, and start him off in AA next season as a starter and let him re-work is way up through the ranks, developing a third pitch and some more savvy. He's still young and would be a worthy project to spend time on.

Comment

I just read that he is getting season ending surgery.
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

It takes as long as about a month and a half for the knee joint to restore typical joint liquid after arthroscopic medical procedure. Along these lines, you may not understand the advantages of your medical procedure for four to about a month and a half. There is a high level of inconstancy in recuperation times. We all must have health awareness so that we can cure them before any accident happens.

Comment

Originally posted by dianajhays View Post
                  It takes as long as about a month and a half for the knee joint to restore typical joint liquid after arthroscopic medical procedure. Along these lines, you may not understand the advantages of your medical procedure for four to about a month and a half. There is a high level of inconstancy in recuperation times. We all must have health awareness so that we can cure them before any accident happens.
                  Huh? Where was this advice a decade ago?
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X