Mark Fidrych

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Fidrych

I have looked at his stats for the one good year and in 250 innings he only had 97 K's? If he hadn't hurt his arm would he have ended up pitching well into the 80's with Morris and Petry, or was his one year a true fluke? I have read that usually a pitcher with this poor of a IP/K ratio is not going to be dominant enough to be a top of the rotation starter, but that is just what he looked like in 1976.

6-28-1976

Here is a great photo of the bird taken at historic tiger stadium on 6-28-1976.
    Attached Files
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

My personal opinion is that The Bird would have probably lasted much longer if he had arrived on the scene at a time when he could have been more in the background. Instead, he arrived when the team sucked and was looking for something -- ANYTHING -- to lift them up in the eyes of the fans and, more importantly, at the box office. Adjusting the schedule to make sure that Fidrych was on the mound whenever the ABC Monday Night cameras were focused on the Tigers went a long way toward ruining him.

Comment

fidrych games?

Does anyone know of any Fidrych games that have survived on tape besides the 6-28-76 yankees vs tigers MNB game?

www.freewebs.com/forles

Comment

video

Originally posted by duffaholic
          Does anyone know of any Fidrych games that have survived on tape besides the 6-28-76 yankees vs tigers MNB game?

www.freewebs.com/forles
          There are games on audio tape that i know still exists, and a friend of mine does have a game on video with the bird before he left detroit.i think it was a AL KALINE DAY at tiger stadium. i will have to check this out and get back later.
          LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Speaking of Fidrych, I caught him on the Tigers telecast with Mario and Rod yesterday, it was good seeing and hearing that old hambone again!

Boy was he a shot in the arm when the Tigers needed it back then. Twenty Four complete games as a rookie! that's incredible!

It is really too bad that he is not linked to the '84 team, he was kinda the launching pad that culminated into the World Series Championship.
            Still a long suffering TIGERS fan

Comment

The Bird sounded like a really grounded sort of guy the other night. He would make a pretty good color broadcaster.
              I was glad he stuck around for an inning or so. It was fun to hear him talk baseball.

Comment

Usually pitchers with very low K/9 rates don't stand the test of time. But for one shining year he was magnificent and a great boost to the Tigers and the Game.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Defeathering the Bird ?

Originally posted by George & Al
                  My personal opinion is that The Bird would have probably lasted much longer if he had arrived on the scene at a time when he could have been more in the background. Instead, he arrived when the team sucked and was looking for something -- ANYTHING -- to lift them up in the eyes of the fans and, more importantly, at the box office. Adjusting the schedule to make sure that Fidrych was on the mound whenever the ABC Monday Night cameras were focused on the Tigers went a long way toward ruining him.
                  nope..he wasn't ruined by Houk & the Tigers pitching him like crazy..

his downfall came the neXt spring, when shagging flies, he leapt up, and
                  tore up his knee..He probably tried to come back too soon, began favouring
                  the knee..and altered his arm motion, hence the arm problems..he tried
                  many times after that, to come back..but his arm wasn't the same..and his
                  mental attitude was lacking, like he had some sort of fear pitching, i.e.
                  turning loose...at one time, the Tigers even had him go see a head shrinker
                  but with no luck.....he ended up with the RED SOX..and flamed out..

Maybe today, they might have spotted his arm problems early on, and took care of them...maybe not...Frank Lary in early 1962, hurt his leg running out
                  a triple..and later hurt his arm, favouring the leg..and Lary ,like the bird,
                  was never the same again....it's a familar tale of woe...

Comment

Originally posted by Paulmcall
                    The Bird sounded like a really grounded sort of guy the other night. He would make a pretty good color broadcaster.
                    I was glad he stuck around for an inning or so. It was fun to hear him talk baseball.
                    Didn't he make an allusion to why he's announcing and not managing?
                    I figured, based on his comments, that he may be an announcer somewhere, for somebody. If not its too bad.
                    Still a long suffering TIGERS fan

Comment

Fidrych games

Hey Polo Grounds 1957, I am curious if your friend had that Fidrych game from Al Kaline day in 1980 you mentioned above, I looked it up and he did pitch that day in the first game of a double header. Ironically the game was played 8-17-80, 26 years ago today. Feel free to private message me, or click on my web site link, where I can be emailed directly.

I did come across an old 1976 CBS evening newscast with a fidrych story, but that is the extent of my success searching for Fidrych games.
                      Last edited by duffaholic; 08-17-2006, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I always wanted to see his pitch counts because they could not have been that high. I mean like you said he only struck out 97 and he only walked 53 in 250 innings.

And compare him to other people with 250 innings

Fidrych 1976 250 innings faced 996 batters or about 36 batter/9 innings
                        Gooden 1985 276.2 innings faced 1065 batters or about 35 batters/9 innings
                        Bob Gibson 1968 304.2 innings faced 1161 batters or about 34 batters/9 innings
                        Greg Maddux 1994 202 innings faced 774 batters or about 34 batters/9

but once again this doesn't factor in actual pitches thrown. remember Gooden, Gibson, and even Maddux struck out a lot of batters

Just For Kicks
                        Nolan Ryan 1977 299 innings faced 1272 batters or about 38 batters/9

Mariano Rivera 2001 80.2 innings faced 310 batters or about 35 batters/9
                        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Hi,

Still hoping to find a game or 2 with Fidrych pitching that have survived on video tape. I do have a decent collection to trade if you have something interesting.

www.freewebs.com/forles

still hoping to find that rare game still existing out there, RIP Mark.
                          Last edited by duffaholic; 05-02-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Fydrich threw allot of ground ball outs. His pitches had a great deal of movement. I saw some films last summer and it reminded me of his success. From the mid 1976 - Sparky arrived (accustomed to astroturf), Tiger Stadium's ground crew began to cut the infield grass very high to take advantage of the Tiger's sinker type staff as well as the ability of players like Ron LeFlore to leg out infield hits on slow rollers in the infield.

The starting rotation the beginning of 1980 was promising:
                            25-Morris
                            30-Wilcox
                            21-Petry
                            25-Fydrich
                            23-Rosema
                            25-Schatzader (who was highly sought after his 1979 sason and they got for LeFlore)
                            Last edited by HDH; 10-12-2008, 06:52 AM.
                            In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Mark Fidrych was my childhood friend … He grew up in Northboro, Massachusetts and I grew up in Westboro on the Northboro line. We played many, many games of Whiffle Ball, competed in Punt, Pass, and Kick Contests, and played High School Baseball together.

Mark was the most humble guy I've encountered in Life! When I asked him what was his greatest Baseball memory he told me that it was the 2nd Chance Offer extended to him by Mrs. Yawkey, owner of the Red Sox, after he "blew out" his arm in Detroit. He never made it back to the Majors but rather pitched for the Minor League affiliate Pawtucket Red Sox. He never even said anything about his success in '76 with the Tigers when he answered. Unreal!

Anyway, I could go on and on about Mark!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X