Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we put Berry in Left & Young as DH

Berry makes case with five-hit game

I could field better than Delmon Young, and I suck!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_det
    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Keep Berry in the field, sure. And when Dirks comes back, they can drop Raburn outright. That was the one head scratcher from yesterday. Raburn pinch-hitting for Boesch. At least Boesch got good contact on his outs. The whole righty-lefty thing loses its steam when the guy can't hit, period.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

In My Opinion Key is not in the hitting, but in the pitching. Our bats will eventualy come to life because the qualitiy is there, but i just cant see our pitching improving, hopefully Fister can make me think otherwise, really liked him on this start after beeing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Matozoo View Post
        In My Opinion Key is not in the hitting, but in the pitching. Our bats will eventualy come to life because the qualitiy is there, but i just cant see our pitching improving, hopefully Fister can make me think otherwise, really liked him on this start after beeing out.
        I think the pitching is fine. Verlander is Verlander, Fister is back, and Scherzer just looked awesome Sunday, even though the Rockies did not play Helton or CarGo.

Peralta is nowhere near the hitter he was last year, Santiago is never going to be a great hitter, Laird is decent but no Avila, who wasn't exactly lighting things up this year, either. And Young, well . . . Boesch reminds me of Brandon Inge as a hitter, which isn't good. Two reliable bats and an occasional good game from someone isn't going to take them too far.
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
          I think the pitching is fine. Verlander is Verlander, Fister is back, and Scherzer just looked awesome Sunday, even though the Rockies did not play Helton or CarGo.

Peralta is nowhere near the hitter he was last year, Santiago is never going to be a great hitter, Laird is decent but no Avila, who wasn't exactly lighting things up this year, either. And Young, well . . . Boesch reminds me of Brandon Inge as a hitter, which isn't good. Two reliable bats and an occasional good game from someone isn't going to take them too far.
          Hummm dont know about that, and actually the numbers speaks for themselves in this case.

Laird his hitting .302 in 86 AB's Avila was hitting .250 in 144 AB's, LAird has only 6 Xtra base hits tho, while Avila had 14. Still i think he actualy is contributing this season. Boesh will never hit for average, he has to many holes in his swing in my opinion, but he has insane power, guy is built like a linebacker, and should be hitting more dingers (only 7 hr's). Delmon young allwayse has been more of a straky hitter then a steady guy, he can have periods where he just crushes the ball, and then go into a cold streak and lower his Avg. But i like to have his bat around, he also has some clutch. Peralta is clearly under performing this season, dont know if bringing Fielder in had something to do with it, or having V-Mart out might played some factor in his sudden lack of productivity, and we reaaaaaaaally are needing him to pick up some slack. Santiago his a splash hitter with a good glove and some speed, a good guy to have around but not a starter. We have Dirks and Berry who have swinged the bat extremely well both batting over .300 with 92 AB's for Berry and over 100 AB's for Dirks.

So yes we might have some trouble in the hitting department but our pitching has been bad for what it was expected.

Heres the numbers-

Verlander, J - ERA-2.57 ; AVG-.204 ; WHIP-0.99
          Porcello, R - ERA-4.95 ; AVG-.319 ; WHIP-1.58
          Scherzer, M - ERA-5.17 ; AVG-.288 ; WHIP-1.52
          Smyly, D - ERA-3.96 ; AVG-259 ; WHIP-1.27
          Fister, D - ERA-2.68. ; AVG-253 ; WHIP-1.21
          Crosby, C - ERA-9.49 ; AVG-.313 ; WHIP-2.11
          Wilk, A - ERA-8.18 ; AVG-.412 ; WHIP-2.18
          Turner, J - ERA-1.80 ; AVG-.235 ; WHIP-1.80
          Benoit, J - ERA-1.93 ; AVG-.222 ; WHIP-1.22
          Coke, P - ERA-3.45 ; AVG-.303 ; WHIP-1.44
          Valverde, J - ERA-4.18 ; AVG-.238 ; WHIP-1.50
          Dotel, O - ERA-4.19 ; AVG-.194 ; WHIP-1.03
          Below, D - ERA-2.35 ; AVG-.215 ; WHIP-0.85
          Villarreal, B - ERA-1.16 ; AVG-.128 ; WHIP-0.86

Didnt do much reseach for this, but for what i see and knowing that ERA is a stat that is not very good in judging pitchers, (Coudnt find FIP) seems based on WHIP specialy that our starting rotation with the exception of Fister and Verlander have been horrible. Shwerzer has the "Stuff" but only sometimes, he is very inconsistent, hope he can start to have some streak going. Porcello stil young depite pitching in MLB for three years now, his Arm is stil developing and he seems to be stuck in the developing process, hope he can move over that ump. I really hope Fister continues where he left last season, the guy has eletric stuff and i really think he can be a awesome #2 behind Verlander, he just cant do it all himself aldo if he could im sure he would. Lol

Dont know what happened to that pitcher that had a terrific slider (Dont remenber his name) that pitched for us in releif last season, but we really could use him in the 'pen again. Also hope Papa Grande recovers fast and Benoit can continue working well. Best 8 and 9th combo last season got to be back again.
          Anyways Go Tigers, we can still get hot and catch the Tribe and the White Sox, its only 2.6 games back.

Comment

Originally posted by Matozoo View Post
            Hummm dont know about that, and actually the numbers speaks for themselves in this case.

Laird his hitting .302 in 86 AB's Avila was hitting .250 in 144 AB's, LAird has only 6 Xtra base hits tho, while Avila had 14. Still i think he actualy is contributing this season. Boesh will never hit for average, he has to many holes in his swing in my opinion, but he has insane power, guy is built like a linebacker, and should be hitting more dingers (only 7 hr's). Delmon young allwayse has been more of a straky hitter then a steady guy, he can have periods where he just crushes the ball, and then go into a cold streak and lower his Avg. But i like to have his bat around, he also has some clutch. Peralta is clearly under performing this season, dont know if bringing Fielder in had something to do with it, or having V-Mart out might played some factor in his sudden lack of productivity, and we reaaaaaaaally are needing him to pick up some slack. Santiago his a splash hitter with a good glove and some speed, a good guy to have around but not a starter. We have Dirks and Berry who have swinged the bat extremely well both batting over .300 with 92 AB's for Berry and over 100 AB's for Dirks.

So yes we might have some trouble in the hitting department but our pitching has been bad for what it was expected.

Heres the numbers-

Verlander, J - ERA-2.57 ; AVG-.204 ; WHIP-0.99
            Porcello, R - ERA-4.95 ; AVG-.319 ; WHIP-1.58
            Scherzer, M - ERA-5.17 ; AVG-.288 ; WHIP-1.52
            Smyly, D - ERA-3.96 ; AVG-259 ; WHIP-1.27
            Fister, D - ERA-2.68. ; AVG-253 ; WHIP-1.21
            Crosby, C - ERA-9.49 ; AVG-.313 ; WHIP-2.11
            Wilk, A - ERA-8.18 ; AVG-.412 ; WHIP-2.18
            Turner, J - ERA-1.80 ; AVG-.235 ; WHIP-1.80
            Benoit, J - ERA-1.93 ; AVG-.222 ; WHIP-1.22
            Coke, P - ERA-3.45 ; AVG-.303 ; WHIP-1.44
            Valverde, J - ERA-4.18 ; AVG-.238 ; WHIP-1.50
            Dotel, O - ERA-4.19 ; AVG-.194 ; WHIP-1.03
            Below, D - ERA-2.35 ; AVG-.215 ; WHIP-0.85
            Villarreal, B - ERA-1.16 ; AVG-.128 ; WHIP-0.86

Didnt do much reseach for this, but for what i see and knowing that ERA is a stat that is not very good in judging pitchers, (Coudnt find FIP) seems based on WHIP specialy that our starting rotation with the exception of Fister and Verlander have been horrible. Shwerzer has the "Stuff" but only sometimes, he is very inconsistent, hope he can start to have some streak going. Porcello stil young depite pitching in MLB for three years now, his Arm is stil developing and he seems to be stuck in the developing process, hope he can move over that ump. I really hope Fister continues where he left last season, the guy has eletric stuff and i really think he can be a awesome #2 behind Verlander, he just cant do it all himself aldo if he could im sure he would. Lol

Dont know what happened to that pitcher that had a terrific slider (Dont remenber his name) that pitched for us in releif last season, but we really could use him in the 'pen again. Also hope Papa Grande recovers fast and Benoit can continue working well. Best 8 and 9th combo last season got to be back again.
            Anyways Go Tigers, we can still get hot and catch the Tribe and the White Sox, its only 2.6 games back.
            Undeniable, but I'm confident, at least, the pitching is going to come around. The offense, hopefully, as well. There's so much streakiness with this team, they could get real hot. I still think they will win the division.
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Tiger fans everywhere should thank the Phillies for giving up on Quinton Berry too early. As soon as he left the Phillies organization, where he never got any higher than the AA/Eastern League level, his career began to blossom (another mistake for Phils' GM Ruben Amaro Jr.). With his success in the majors at age 27 Berry is a personificaton of the old adage "Better Late Than Never". His hitting for average, defense, base stealing and the energy he's brought to the Tigers are all big pluses.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X